    VGA SAPPHIRE ATI Radeon 9600XT 128 bit, 500 MHz, 256 MB, with tv out & DVI

    What do you think about rest of configuration?

    Thanks...

    SysCold, Jul 1, 2004

  2. SysCold wrote:
    > First of all, sorry for crossposting...
    >
    > What would you suggest between Athlon 64 3200+ and Dual Athlon XP
    > 2800+? I mean, which will be more usable in real life (Video
    > processing, games, and other high-processor-dependent)?
    > I'll buy it next week so any comment is welcome.....

    Are you going to be doing all of the above at once, or do the things that
    you're planning to do support SMP? If so, the duallie. If not, then the A64.
    For example, I can (my machine is a dual MP2600 rquavalent) be doing
    raytracing with POVRay and also be having a game of Battlefield with
    essentially no slowdown in either. Give POVRay both CPUs and there's not
    uniprocessor machine short of an Itanium that can touch it. However, since
    the only dual Socket-A chipset only does AGP4x, and maxes out at below a
    150MHz FSB (single-channel memory), the performance I get in games is far
    from what you'd get if I ran the CPU at the same speed in a dual-channel,
    PC3200, AGP8x motherboard. There's also not much point in getting anything
    above low-latency PC2700 (and depending on pricing, a single stick may be
    cheaper than two of half the size).

    Secondly, if you're wanting to run a duallie, you've got a few options. The
    XP2800's run on a high FSB and are multiplier-locked, so you'll have to
    mobilise them and enable SMP, and then use them in one of the boards that
    supports mobiles in SMP. The Asus is one, and I've made a patched BIOS for
    the K7D which works more or less, but still has a couple of minor issues
    (warm restarts don't work). An alternative is to buy a couple of mobiles,
    and run them in one of the afore mentioned boards. Some people have been
    unable to get mobile chips stable in SMP, even when the 3rd L5 is broken, so
    this route is not recommended unless you want to be tweaking things for a
    while. The final option is just to go and buy two MP2800s. These should drop
    straight into any duallie board and work flawlessly.

    > Aside from that, the rest of configuration will be:
    >
    > DUAL RAM, 512 MB, DDR, PC-3500, 433 MHz, KINGMAX
    > DUAL HDD MAXTOR 160 GB, serial ATA, 7200 o/min., 8 MB cache
    > VGA SAPPHIRE ATI Radeon 9600XT 128 bit, 500 MHz, 256 MB, with tv out
    > & DVI
    >
    > What do you think about rest of configuration?

    Looks good to me. You'll have to get a SATA card (I recommend a 64-bit,
    66MHz PCI one if you can find one) to run the SATA drives on a K7 duallie.
    Unless you're going S939, see if it's cheaper to go one-stick or two sticks
    as non-S939 (and the K7 dualle boards) only run in single-channel mode.

    --
    Michael Brown

    Michael Brown, Jul 1, 2004

  3. SysCold

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 00:00:57 +0200, SysCold wrote:

    > First of all, sorry for crossposting...
    >
    > What would you suggest between Athlon 64 3200+ and Dual Athlon XP 2800+?
    > I mean, which will be more usable in real life (Video processing, games,
    > and other high-processor-dependent)?

    Depends on if the software you are going to use will take advantage of the
    dual cpu. I don't think games do, so the 64 will kill the XP in that area.
    It's also much faster in video processing than the XP, but I'm not sure if
    your video software will utilize dual cpu's and what the diff would be.

    Wes Newell, Jul 1, 2004
  4. SysCold

    yak Guest

    In article <cc21nk$97f$4u.hr>, says...
    > First of all, sorry for crossposting...
    >
    > What would you suggest between Athlon 64 3200+ and Dual Athlon XP 2800+?
    > I mean, which will be more usable in real life (Video processing, games,
    > and other high-processor-dependent)?
    > I'll buy it next week so any comment is welcome.....
    >
    > Aside from that, the rest of configuration will be:
    >
    > DUAL RAM, 512 MB, DDR, PC-3500, 433 MHz, KINGMAX
    > DUAL HDD MAXTOR 160 GB, serial ATA, 7200 o/min., 8 MB cache
    > VGA SAPPHIRE ATI Radeon 9600XT 128 bit, 500 MHz, 256 MB, with tv out & DVI
    >
    > What do you think about rest of configuration?
    >
    > Thanks...

    I'd get the single. MP's are only useful if you have software to take
    advantage of them. Games don't (for the very most part)... Adobe stuff
    might, but it's all a trade off.

    If you mean 512 ram total, no, get 1024.
    I'd get a 9800pro with 128 megs of ram rather than that 9600 xt.

    yak, Jul 2, 2004
  5. SysCold

    rms Guest

    > DUAL RAM, 512 MB, DDR, PC-3500, 433 MHz, KINGMAX

    I assume you mean 1gig total.

    > VGA SAPPHIRE ATI Radeon 9600XT 128 bit, 500 MHz, 256 MB, with tv out & DVI

    Why are people buying this slow crap when they should know better? A
    9800pro is a minimum card nowadays.

    rms

    rms, Jul 2, 2004
  6. SysCold

    SysCold Guest

    rms wrote:

    >>DUAL RAM, 512 MB, DDR, PC-3500, 433 MHz, KINGMAX

    > I assume you mean 1gig total.

    Yea, I ment 1GB total.

    >>VGA SAPPHIRE ATI Radeon 9600XT 128 bit, 500 MHz, 256 MB, with tv out & DVI

    > Why are people buying this slow crap when they should know better? A
    > 9800pro is a minimum card nowadays.
    >
    > rms

    I changed my mind about graphic card. Now I think I'll get ATI X800, XT
    or PRO. What do you think about that?

    By SysCold

    SysCold, Jul 3, 2004
  7. SysCold

    johny Guest

    > I changed my mind about graphic card. Now I think I'll get ATI X800, XT
    > or PRO. What do you think about that?

    I think you must have a lot of money. X800 is a killer good card however,
    9800PRO is a lot more bang for the buck. When suggested to spend $50 more on
    the video card, you're jumping from ~$200 to ~$450.

    Bytheway, I changed my mind about 2004 Honda Accord LX, now I think I'll get
    F/A-22 Raptor, what do you think about that? :)

    johny, Jul 3, 2004
  8. SysCold

    rms Guest

    > I changed my mind about graphic card. Now I think I'll get ATI X800, XT
    > or PRO. What do you think about that?

    Fine, but prices are all over the map on these new cards. I would check
    www.rage3d.com and www.nvnews.net forums to look for deals before buying.

    rms

    rms, Jul 3, 2004
  9. SysCold

    SysCold Guest

    johny wrote:

    >>I changed my mind about graphic card. Now I think I'll get ATI X800, XT
    >>or PRO. What do you think about that?

    > I think you must have a lot of money. X800 is a killer good card however,
    > 9800PRO is a lot more bang for the buck. When suggested to spend $50 more on
    > the video card, you're jumping from ~$200 to ~$450.

    As I wrote in original post, I'm shooting at high end (if not edge)... I
    will give about $1200 for: CPU, Graphic Card, MB and RAM... I think I'll
    wait with HDD's for some time...
    So, does anyone have anything to add or change in my configuration? It
    would be greatly helpfull...
    Or should I start new thread?

    > Bytheway, I changed my mind about 2004 Honda Accord LX, now I think I'll get
    > F/A-22 Raptor, what do you think about that? :)

    I'd rather get MIG. They are faster and mora agile than F's... That
    makes them better in close combat... But radar is a bit screwed
    comparing to F's... So F's got advantage on distance...

    By SysCold

    SysCold, Jul 4, 2004
  10. SysCold

    SysCold Guest

    rms wrote:
    >>I changed my mind about graphic card. Now I think I'll get ATI X800, XT
    >>or PRO. What do you think about that?

    > Fine, but prices are all over the map on these new cards. I would check
    > www.rage3d.com and www.nvnews.net forums to look for deals before buying.
    >
    > rms

    Thanks, I checked, and googled much. After all, I have to be sure for
    that money what will I buy.
    If it wasn't you I'd probably buy 9800. Thanks again.

    By SysCold

    SysCold, Jul 4, 2004