AMD Athlon 64 best motherboard - K8NE deluxe or K8VE deluxe?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Chris, Aug 1, 2004.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Hi there,

    I am looking at upgrading to an Athlon 64, and have narrowed nmy choices
    down to an Assus motherboard, either a K8NE deluxe or K8VE deluxe.

    I have read that the Via chipset is 'better' than the Nvidia chipset (in
    terms of the hypertransport performance, and also PCI bus performance)
    but still remember the grief that I had with a VIA chipset in the past.
    The Nvidia boards optical audio out is also a point in its favour.

    My main use will be video capture (from a PCI bus card to an IDE hard
    drive) as well as home cinema use (using the onboard audio with the
    S/PDif output to a Dolby Digital / DTS decoder).

    Can anyone give me a recommendation, or does it just come down to
    personal preference?

    Many Thanks,

    Chris.

    --
    cut along the dotted line to reply
    Chris, Aug 1, 2004

  2. Chris

    Ben Pope Guest

    Chris wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I am looking at upgrading to an Athlon 64, and have narrowed nmy choices
    > down to an Assus motherboard, either a K8NE deluxe or K8VE deluxe.
    >
    > I have read that the Via chipset is 'better' than the Nvidia chipset (in
    > terms of the hypertransport performance, and also PCI bus performance)

    That was the nForce3 150. The K8N-E uses the nForce2 250 which is an
    all-round much better chip. Better than the Via in many cases.

    > but still remember the grief that I had with a VIA chipset in the past.
    > The Nvidia boards optical audio out is also a point in its favour.
    >
    > My main use will be video capture (from a PCI bus card to an IDE hard
    > drive) as well as home cinema use (using the onboard audio with the
    > S/PDif output to a Dolby Digital / DTS decoder).
    >
    > Can anyone give me a recommendation, or does it just come down to
    > personal preference?

    Personal preference... looks like you have a tick for the K8N-E (optical
    out), and your cross I've negated (nForce3 250 is as good as the Via), so I
    think you know the answer...

    Ben
    Ben Pope, Aug 1, 2004

  3. > I have read that the Via chipset is 'better' than the Nvidia chipset (in
    > terms of the hypertransport performance, and also PCI bus performance)
    > but still remember the grief that I had with a VIA chipset in the past.
    > The Nvidia boards optical audio out is also a point in its favour.

    The K8V Deluxe has an optical output, too

    > My main use will be video capture (from a PCI bus card to an IDE hard
    > drive) as well as home cinema use (using the onboard audio with the
    > S/PDif output to a Dolby Digital / DTS decoder).
    >
    > Can anyone give me a recommendation, or does it just come down to
    > personal preference?

    I got the K8V Deluxe which is a great board

    Frank.Schmidt, Aug 1, 2004
  4. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Ben Pope wrote:

    > Personal preference... looks like you have a tick for the K8N-E (optical
    > out), and your cross I've negated (nForce3 250 is as good as the Via), so I
    > think you know the answer...
    >
    > Ben

    Thanks Ben - looks like K8N-E deluxe it is.

    Cheers,

    Chris.

    --
    cut along the dotted line to reply
    Chris, Aug 1, 2004
  5. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Frank.Schmidt wrote:

    > The K8V Deluxe has an optical output, too
    >
    > I got the K8V Deluxe which is a great board

    Thanks for your reply Frank. I didn't realise the K8V deluxe had an
    optical out - the motherboard manual on Asus' website didn't seem to
    mention it

    --
    cut along the dotted line to reply
    Chris, Aug 1, 2004