AMD Athlon-PECM, 1333 MHz (5 x 267) t'bird upgrade or replacement?

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by Jim, Dec 15, 2007.

  1. Jim

    Jim Guest

    I'm very happy with my t'bird processor but would like to know if there's
    a better one that I can swap it for to improve the general speed of my
    computer. The more time I spend looking for an alternative the more
    confused I get because I just don't know what a suitable replacement
    might be. So, please, look at my current specs below and help me out.

    Motherboard
    CPU Type AMD Athlon-PECM, 1333 MHz (5 x 267)
    Motherboard Name MSI K7T Power/Pro/Pro2/Pro2-A/Turbo/Turbo2/Turbo Limited Edition
    Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8363A Apollo KT133A

    CPU Properties
    CPU Type AMD Athlon-PECM, 1333 MHz (5 x 267)
    CPU Alias Thunderbird
    CPU Stepping A9
    L1 Code Cache 64 KB
    L1 Data Cache 64 KB
    L2 Cache 256 KB (On-Die, Full-Speed)

    CPU Physical Info
    Package Type 453 Pin PGA / 242 Contact Slot A Cartridge
    Package Size 4.95 cm x 4.95 cm / 13.99 cm x 6.27 cm x 1.64 cm
    Transistors 37 million
    Process Technology 6Mi, 0.18 um, CMOS
    Die Size 120 mm2
    Core Voltage 1.75 V
    I/O Voltage 1.6 V
    Typical Power 34 - 65 W (depending on clock speed)
    Maximum Power 38 - 72 W (depending on clock speed)

    CPU Manufacturer
    Company Name Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

    Thanks.
    Jim, Dec 15, 2007

  2. Jim

    Wes Newell Guest

    Re: AMD Athlon-PECM, 1333 MHz (5 x 267) t'bird upgrade orreplacement?

    On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 20:41:36 +0000, Jim wrote:

    > I'm very happy with my t'bird processor but would like to know if
    > there's a better one that I can swap it for to improve the general speed
    > of my computer. The more time I spend looking for an alternative the
    > more confused I get because I just don't know what a suitable
    > replacement might be. So, please, look at my current specs below and
    > help me out.
    >
    > Motherboard
    > CPU Type AMD Athlon-PECM, 1333 MHz (5 x 267) Motherboard

    Name MSI K7T
    > Power/Pro/Pro2/Pro2-A/Turbo/Turbo2/Turbo Limited Edition Motherboard
    > Chipset VIA VT8363A Apollo KT133A
    >
    > CPU Properties
    > CPU Type AMD Athlon-PECM, 1333 MHz (5 x 267) CPU

    Alias Thunderbird
    > CPU Stepping A9
    > L1 Code Cache 64 KB
    > L1 Data Cache 64 KB
    > L2 Cache 256 KB (On-Die, Full-Speed)
    >
    > CPU Physical Info
    > Package Type 453 Pin PGA / 242 Contact Slot A Cartridge Package

    Slot A, forget it. It's not worth spending money on upgrading. You'll want
    to replace the MB, CPU, video card, and ram. Sell it and the video card on
    ebay for whatever you can get for it. You can also sell sound and lan
    cards if you have them. They'll come on new MB

    Move up to a socket AM2 Athlon 64 X2 dual core cpu and 1GB (2x512) ram.
    Get a MB with onboard video. There are many to chose from starting at
    about $59. And ddr2 ram is dirt cheap now, about $40 or less for 1GB.
    Total upgrade cost about $160 minus what you get for your old stuff. Which
    may be more than you think although I'd consider it worthless.:)

    If you need to go cheaper than that, you can, but the little you'd save
    isn't worth worth it IMO.

    You'll probably make a lot more if you sell the old stuff as individual
    items. PC133 ram is selling for more than what you can get ddr2 ram for,
    and it wouldn't surprise me if if that old slot a cpu brought a premium.
    Some people on ebay go crazy bidding things up. Start with $1 minimum bid.
    Don't ask what you think it's worth. You can set a reserve price if you
    want to, but I never have and usually get more than I think I'll get.

    Wes Newell, Dec 15, 2007

  3. Jim

    Bill Guest

    In article <>,
    se says...
    > I'm very happy with my t'bird processor but would like to know if there's
    > a better one that I can swap it for to improve the general speed of my
    > computer. The more time I spend looking for an alternative the more
    > confused I get because I just don't know what a suitable replacement
    > might be. So, please, look at my current specs below and help me out.
    >
    > Motherboard
    > CPU Type AMD Athlon-PECM, 1333 MHz (5 x 267)
    > Motherboard Name MSI K7T Power/Pro/Pro2/Pro2-A/Turbo/Turbo2/Turbo Limited Edition
    > Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8363A Apollo KT133A
    >
    > CPU Properties
    > CPU Type AMD Athlon-PECM, 1333 MHz (5 x 267)
    > CPU Alias Thunderbird
    > CPU Stepping A9
    > L1 Code Cache 64 KB
    > L1 Data Cache 64 KB
    > L2 Cache 256 KB (On-Die, Full-Speed)
    >
    > CPU Physical Info
    > Package Type 453 Pin PGA / 242 Contact Slot A Cartridge
    > Package Size 4.95 cm x 4.95 cm / 13.99 cm x 6.27 cm x 1.64 cm
    > Transistors 37 million
    > Process Technology 6Mi, 0.18 um, CMOS
    > Die Size 120 mm2
    > Core Voltage 1.75 V
    > I/O Voltage 1.6 V
    > Typical Power 34 - 65 W (depending on clock speed)
    > Maximum Power 38 - 72 W (depending on clock speed)
    >
    > CPU Manufacturer
    > Company Name Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Short answer - no.

    I know it's not what you wanted to hear, but any money you spend on
    upgrading your board/cpu < And I honestly doubt there are any cpus
    around that are faster than what have that fit a Slot A motherboard >
    will be a waste. It's time to upgrade if you want more performance.

    You can probably buy a used pc with more performance for less money
    than what it would take to get your present pc to run faster.

    Bill
    Bill, Dec 15, 2007