    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") mouse (at least he'll get some exercise)

    Trimble Bracegirdle, Jun 28, 2009

  3. NV55

    Westworld Guest

    Westworld, Jun 28, 2009
  4. NV55

    Access Guest

    "Trimble Bracegirdle" <> wrote in message
    > Its just over two years since I made certain to get a DX10 card (Nvidia
    > GTX8800)
    > in the expectation then that I would really need DX10 soon.
    > Two years later I have never needed to use DX10 & don't feel I'm missing
    > out.

    Same here! I have a dual-boot system with Vista (DX-10) but I'm still
    playing all my games on Windows XP!
    Mickeysoft really should release DirectX-11 for XP or Vista! But of course
    that won't sell any software licenses...

    Access, Jun 28, 2009
  5. On Jun 28, 11:35 pm, "Trimble Bracegirdle" <> wrote:

    > DX11 had better work on DX10 cards or I shall not be alone in stamping my
    > feet & screeching at the Sky.

    I did reading about DX11. It appears nVidia implemented their own
    hardware solution (CUDO and PhysX), and AMD implemented their own
    solution (hardware support of Havok engine). But what's likely to
    happen, both will also support OpenCL, which is a software interface
    to the graphical effects. The only thing is that, for example, in case
    of nVidia, all that proprietary graphical hardware will not be
    utilised. In other words, the DX11 will work on your DX10 card, albeit
    slowly. Later, you will want to get a DX11 card which will be faster
    at drawing DX11 graphics.

    Antonio Huerta, Jun 29, 2009
  6. * Trimble Bracegirdle:
    > Its just over two years since I made certain to get a DX10 card (Nvidia
    > GTX8800)
    > in the expectation then that I would really need DX10 soon.

    When the Geforce 8 series came out I got one because they also were the
    fastest DX9 cards available, not because of DX10. DX10 was just
    additional value.

    > Two years later I have never needed to use DX10 & don't feel I'm missing
    > out.

    I used DX10 in the games that made use of it (Crysis, Bioshock), and
    while it wasn't groundbreaking, the gfx was a bit better than with plain
    DX9.

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Jun 29, 2009
  7. NV55

    DrTeeth Guest

    On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 10:29:10 +0100, just as I was about to take a
    herb, Benjamin Gawert <> disturbed my reverie and wrote:

    > the gfx was a bit better than with plain
    >DX9.

    TBH, I would not be able to tell the difference if I did not know
    which was which.
    --

    Cheers,

    DrT

    DrTeeth, Jun 29, 2009
  8. NV55

    Oliver Nowak Guest

    Antonio Huerta wrote :
    > On Jun 28, 11:35 pm, "Trimble Bracegirdle" <> wrote:
    >
    >> DX11 had better work on DX10 cards or I shall not be alone in stamping my
    >> feet & screeching at the Sky.

    > I did reading about DX11. It appears nVidia implemented their own
    > hardware solution (CUDO and PhysX),

    Well, CUDA and PhysX aren't directly related to DX11, the former makes
    the GPU accessible for general purpose computing tasks (if it's
    parallelizable), the latter is for physics calculations (as the name
    suggests). DX11 will have "compute shaders" however - the equivalent to
    Nvidia's CUDA.

    > and AMD implemented their own
    > solution (hardware support of Havok engine).

    I'm not up to date on this, but last I checked when they announced
    support for Havok, they actually meant to optimize it for their CPUs
    rather than run it on the video hardware. They've got, after all, all
    of those quad core (and maybe sexa-core - do they plan desktop variants
    of "Istanbul"?) CPUs to sell, which aren't properly supported by games
    to date.

    > But what's likely to
    > happen, both will also support OpenCL, which is a software interface
    > to the graphical effects.

    OpenCL is another equivalent to Nvidia's proprietary CUDA (meaning
    allowing for general purpose computing on the GPU, not necessarily
    graphics) - this time a cross-platform multi-vendor open standard
    effort which is headed by Apple, IIRC.

    <snip>

    --
    O.

    Oliver Nowak, Jun 29, 2009
  9. NV55

    Augustus Guest

    > TBH, I would not be able to tell the difference if I did not know
    > which was which.

    When I went from XP SP3 directly to Windows 7 (avoided Vista completely on
    my own systems), I immediately noticed that games like Fallout 3, Bioshock
    and a few others had some nicer, finer details and better quality effects.
    They still looked great in DX9, but the DX10 difference was more polished
    and subtle. Kind of like good, well done makeup on an already gorgeous
    woman. Probably get flamed for that last analogy.....

    Augustus, Jun 29, 2009
  10. NV55

    DrTeeth Guest

    On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 20:40:34 GMT, just as I was about to take a herb,
    "Augustus" <> disturbed my reverie and wrote:

    > Probably get flamed for that last analogy.....

    By people who need a life or look like my arse <lol>
    --

    Cheers,

    DrT

    DrTeeth, Jun 29, 2009
  11. * DrTeeth:
    >> the gfx was a bit better than with plain
    >> DX9.

    > TBH, I would not be able to tell the difference if I did not know
    > which was which.

    Well, the difference isn't really big, it just looks a tad better (at
    least in DX10 with max details over DX9 with max details, DX10 with less
    than max details is probably pointless as there probably is no
    difference to DX9). But it isn't groundbreaking, and definitely doesn't
    make up for the lack of proper gameplay (like in Crysis).

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Jun 30, 2009
  12. NV55

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Trimble Bracegirdle wrote:
    > DX11 had better work on DX10 cards or I shall not be alone in stamping my
    > feet
    > & screeching at the Sky.

    There's always a software and hardware portion of all DX versions. I'm
    sure the software portion will continue to work on as ancient hardware
    as you can get.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Jul 7, 2009
  13. NV55

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Oliver Nowak wrote:
    > Antonio Huerta wrote :
    >> But what's likely to
    >> happen, both will also support OpenCL, which is a software interface
    >> to the graphical effects.

    > OpenCL is another equivalent to Nvidia's proprietary CUDA (meaning
    > allowing for general purpose computing on the GPU, not necessarily
    > graphics) - this time a cross-platform multi-vendor open standard effort
    > which is headed by Apple, IIRC.

    Yeah, you can basically think of OpenCL will be to DirectX11's "compute
    shaders" feature, as OpenGL was to previous DirectX's 3D graphics
    engine. They are competitors to each other, where one is multi-vendor
    while the other one is single-vendor but a big vendor (Microsoft).

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Jul 7, 2009
  14. NV55

    DrTeeth Guest

    On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 07:00:36 -0700 (PDT), just as I was about to take
    a herb, Victor <> disturbed my reverie and wrote:

    >I definitely can see a differerence in those games that support dx 10
    >especially fsx.Lighting is much better.

    In FSX using DX10, all my runways and taxiways flash and I cannot use
    it. ATi 4870 latest drivers (as always).
    --

    Cheers,

    DrT

    DrTeeth, Jul 13, 2009