    friend of mine says he would never put it on his machine, but i was
    wondering if anyone has noticed if say, 3dmark scores are lower with theh
    processor driver installed?

    Carl, May 31, 2006

  2. Carl

    Ed Light Guest

    The 64 bit one is, AFAIK, just a cool'n'quiet driver.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org

    Ed Light, May 31, 2006

  3. Carl

    Ed Light Guest

    "Ed Light" <> wrote in message
    > The 64 bit one is, AFAIK, just a cool'n'quiet driver.

    And so it could interfere with overclocking.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org

    Ed Light, May 31, 2006
  4. Carl

    Conor Guest

    In article <OYnfg.10925$KB.9227@fed1read08>, Ed Light says...

    > "Ed Light" <> wrote in message
    > > The 64 bit one is, AFAIK, just a cool'n'quiet driver.

    > And so it could interfere with overclocking.

    I can't see how. It's primary function is to throttle the speed by 50%
    when there is a light load on the CPU.

    --
    Conor,
    Grumpy Old Man.

    Conor, May 31, 2006
  5. Carl

    myPC Guest

    I'm not shure how either. But there is an AMD driver available for the
    motherboard I just ordered....they give you a WARNING not to install the
    drivers if you're overclocking....

    HTH...

    myPC, Jun 4, 2006
  6. Carl

    Ed Light Guest

    "myPC" <> wrote in message
    > I'm not shure how either. But there is an AMD driver available for the
    > motherboard I just ordered....they give you a WARNING not to install the
    > drivers if you're overclocking....
    >
    > HTH...
    >

    > "Conor" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <OYnfg.10925$KB.9227@fed1read08>, Ed Light says...
    >>>
    >>> "Ed Light" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> And so it could interfere with overclocking.
    >>>

    >> I can't see how. It's primary function is to throttle the speed by 50%
    >> when there is a light load on the CPU.

    It also wants to change the voltage.

    It may not be able to if the voltage isn't on auto in the bios. But people
    usually don't mess with it. The voltages in reduced speeds might not fit the
    overclock.

    For that reason I use CrystalCPUID. Though that has some issues. To change
    the voltage the bios have to be on auto, at least on my nforce3. It will
    only raise my 1.4v winnie to 1.45. This is enough for 2.4g, so it's ok with
    me. I can specify 3 speeds and a voltage for each. But, It's booting at
    stock voltage so it can't boot overclocked. I solved that by setting a low
    enough multiplier for the cpu so it boots at a little under stock speed,
    though the clock is high, and then when Crystal loads it takes over the
    multipliers and voltages. To go faster than 2.4 gigs I'd simply have to set
    the volts in the bios and give up lowering them.
    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\