    It'd probably be a few months before anybody could get one to do a
    review/comparison. But obviously AMD itself and maybe some mobo makers must
    have done some testing already. Could someone please leak those tests?
    peter, Sep 10, 2007

  2. peter

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'peter' wrote| amd announced quad core on one chip. In theory this should be
    more efficient
    | than 2-chip quad core like intel's.
    |
    | It'd probably be a few months before anybody could get one to do a
    | review/comparison. But obviously AMD itself and maybe some mobo makers
    must
    | have done some testing already. Could someone please leak those tests?
    _____

    Perhaps you can wait until the AMD Barcelona debut today, Monday September
    10, 2007. Compared to the Intel quad core on two chips, the Barcelona
    numbers for floating point look good, the numbers for integer do not;
    initial clock speeds are ~ 2 GHz. And in November Intel debuts quad on one
    chip. Just Google Barcelona for official numbers.

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, Sep 10, 2007

  3. peter

    Al Brumski Guest

    Phil,

    What Intel offering are you referring to in November???

    The 45nm Yorkfield is supposed to be only a die shrink of the current
    65nm quads with some new instructions added. Still 2 dies on one chip.

    Nehalem which is supposed to be a "true" possibly 8 core/single chip
    is slated for '08 (me thinks).

    Al

    Al Brumski, Sep 11, 2007
  4. peter

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'Al Brumski' wrote:
    | What Intel offering are you referring to in November???
    |
    | The 45nm Yorkfield is supposed to be only a die shrink of the current
    | 65nm quads with some new instructions added. Still 2 dies on one chip.
    |
    | Nehalem which is supposed to be a "true" possibly 8 core/single chip
    | is slated for '08 (me thinks).
    _____

    I think you are correct, and that the Yorkfield scheduled for 4th quarter
    2007 will use two Penryn dual core chips. The Intel processor roadmap shows
    the Nehalem 45 nm new platform (and quad core on one chip) due in 2nd half
    2008.

    Phil Weldon

    "Al Brumski" <?> wrote in message
    | Phil,
    |
    | What Intel offering are you referring to in November???
    |
    | The 45nm Yorkfield is supposed to be only a die shrink of the current
    | 65nm quads with some new instructions added. Still 2 dies on one chip.
    |
    | Nehalem which is supposed to be a "true" possibly 8 core/single chip
    | is slated for '08 (me thinks).
    |
    | Al
    |
    | On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 17:14:52 -0300, "Phil Weldon"
    | <> wrote:
    |
    | >'peter' wrote| amd announced quad core on one chip. In theory this should
    be
    | >more efficient
    | >| than 2-chip quad core like intel's.
    | >|

    Phil Weldon, Sep 12, 2007
  5. peter

    Ed M. Guest

    "Phil Weldon" <> wrote in message
    > 'Al Brumski' wrote:
    > | What Intel offering are you referring to in November???
    > |
    > | The 45nm Yorkfield is supposed to be only a die shrink of the current
    > | 65nm quads with some new instructions added. Still 2 dies on one chip.
    > |
    > | Nehalem which is supposed to be a "true" possibly 8 core/single chip
    > | is slated for '08 (me thinks).
    > _____
    >
    > I think you are correct, and that the Yorkfield scheduled for 4th quarter
    > 2007 will use two Penryn dual core chips. The Intel processor roadmap
    > shows
    > the Nehalem 45 nm new platform (and quad core on one chip) due in 2nd half
    > 2008.
    >
    > Phil Weldon

    The Nehalem is what I am waiting for to do my next upgrade from the
    E6600 if nothing happens in-between that would convince me to change sooner.
    My son is wanting me to build him an E6600 system and if I do......guess
    what he is getting.......:). It will be Qxxx something for me....:). Phil,
    do you know if the 680i will support the Nehalems? I have no info on that at
    all. It would be a bit early for me to do a complete system again.

    Ed Medlin
    Ed M., Sep 12, 2007
  6. peter

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'Ed M.' wrote:
    | The Nehalem is what I am waiting for to do my next upgrade from the
    | E6600 if nothing happens in-between that would convince me to change
    sooner.
    | My son is wanting me to build him an E6600 system and if I do......guess
    | what he is getting.......:). It will be Qxxx something for me....:).
    Phil,
    | do you know if the 680i will support the Nehalems? I have no info on that
    at
    | all. It would be a bit early for me to do a complete system again.
    _____

    Uh, signs point to no, but what do I know? Nehalem seems to be a major
    revamp of the CPU architecture. I think the Intel procedure is now major
    revamp - shrink - major revamp - shrink. For the Nehalem to offer much
    benefit over the Penryn my guess is that's going to affect chipsets and
    motherboard design, and probably memory requirements. But by second half
    2008 you'll want flash memory on board intermediate in the memory hierarchy
    between hard drives and RAM.

    I got my new notebook with a T7300 2 GHz 4 MByte L2 Dual Core 2, nVidia
    M8600 GT, and 1680 X 1050 15.4" screen. Haven't really done any graphics
    benchmarks, but I notice from the nVidia website that the M8xxx mobile
    graphics adapters are plug-ins; and can be swapped out. But for the M8600
    GT that would require that nVida come out with major power requirement
    reductions.

    Phil Weldon

    "Ed M." <> wrote in message

    | "Phil Weldon" <> wrote in message
    | > 'Al Brumski' wrote:
    | > | What Intel offering are you referring to in November???
    | > |

    Phil Weldon, Sep 12, 2007
  7. peter

    > 'Ed M.' wrote:
    > | The Nehalem is what I am waiting for to do my next upgrade from the
    > | E6600 if nothing happens in-between that would convince me to change
    > sooner.
    > | My son is wanting me to build him an E6600 system and if I do......guess
    > | what he is getting.......:). It will be Qxxx something for me....:).
    > Phil,
    > | do you know if the 680i will support the Nehalems? I have no info on
    > that
    > at
    > | all. It would be a bit early for me to do a complete system again.
    > _____
    >
    > Uh, signs point to no, but what do I know? Nehalem seems to be a major
    > revamp of the CPU architecture. I think the Intel procedure is now major
    > revamp - shrink - major revamp - shrink. For the Nehalem to offer much
    > benefit over the Penryn my guess is that's going to affect chipsets and
    > motherboard design, and probably memory requirements. But by second half
    > 2008 you'll want flash memory on board intermediate in the memory
    > hierarchy
    > between hard drives and RAM.
    >
    > I got my new notebook with a T7300 2 GHz 4 MByte L2 Dual Core 2, nVidia
    > M8600 GT, and 1680 X 1050 15.4" screen. Haven't really done any graphics
    > benchmarks, but I notice from the nVidia website that the M8xxx mobile
    > graphics adapters are plug-ins; and can be swapped out. But for the M8600
    > GT that would require that nVida come out with major power requirement
    > reductions.
    >
    > Phil Weldon

    Well, it looks like I am building that system for my son down in TX. I
    will give him the E6600 I have and probably put a gig of ram (XP) and an
    8800GTS on some 680i MB. I am looking at some of the Intel quads and am kind
    of in a quandry as to which one to get for myself. I don't have any
    expectations of getting 3.7Ghz out of one like I have with this E6600
    (actually settled with 3.4Ghz because of the extreme voltage it takes to
    keep it stable above 3.5Ghz). For my son I will probably set it up at 3.0Ghz
    because it will run well just a tad above "Auto" Vcore. I am not interested
    in the Extreme quads at $900-1000.00 or whatever they are now. I am looking
    at something in the mid ranges at under $400 or so. I need to do some
    research there since I really was only told by my wife to build him one
    yesterday and didn't expect to do this right now. I need to shop for a
    decent case and psu for my son's system too.....I guess a 500w name-brand
    should do ok with the 8800GTS and a 500gb hdd or so. Oh well, I guess it is
    back to the drawing board.......:)

    BTW........My last laptop was the Toshiba Core2 at 1.85Ghz IIRC and it
    is a fine system. I would call it more of a desktop replacement system
    because of the size and weight, but it is reliable and very nice for
    multimedia use. It is fast enough for anything I would use it for. It has an
    NV M6xxx graphics setup on sort of a 'riser' that I am fairly sure is
    replaceable. Since it does everything I need to do just like it is, I doubt
    if I would update it anyway.

    Ed Medlin
    Ed M., Sep 13, 2007