AN-11 with onboardPromise RAID

Discussion in 'FIC' started by Johann Koenig, Jul 15, 2003.

  1. I have 2 hdds I would like to put in a RAID 1 array. So, they are
    plugged into the RAID channels (IDE 2/3) , each one master on its own
    channel. When the RAID jumper is set to OFF, the computer boots fine,
    and I can see/use the hdds. If I switch it to ON though, the computer
    hangs in the Promise BIOS:

    FastTrak100 (tm) "Lite" BIOS Version 2.00.0.23
    (c) 1995-2001 Promise Technology, Inc. All rights reserved.

    According to the docs I've found, it should prompt me with somthing
    like:

    No array defined ...
    Press <Ctrl-F> to enter FastBuild (tm) Utility
    Or press <ESC> key to continue booting the system

    But I don't. I only get the other stuff I mentioned earlier.

    Computer specs:
    AMD ThunderBird 900mhz
    FIC AN-11 Stealth with Promise RAID
    Hdds:
    Western Digital WD400 (40.0 GB) on IDE2 Master
    IBM Deskstar (41.0GB) on IDE3 Master
    Sony CD-RW on IDE0 Master
    No-Name DVD on IDE0 Slave
    Plus standard video/nic/keyboard/mouse

    Any help would be much appreciated.
    --
    -johann koenig

    Johann Koenig, Jul 15, 2003

  2. Johann Koenig

    Guest

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 16:50:46 GMT, Johann Koenig <>
    wrote:

    >I have 2 hdds I would like to put in a RAID 1 array. So, they are
    >plugged into the RAID channels (IDE 2/3) , each one master on its own
    >channel. When the RAID jumper is set to OFF, the computer boots fine,
    >and I can see/use the hdds. If I switch it to ON though, the computer
    >hangs in the Promise BIOS:

    Check the docs at
    E:\csw-windows\csw-win9x-05\Hardware\motherboards\fic\AN11

    Wouldn't hurt to download alll three files.

    In the an11_addendum.zip there are several updates on RAID, which
    talks about "other" switches having to be set while using RAID.

    >FastTrak100 (tm) "Lite" BIOS Version 2.00.0.23
    >(c) 1995-2001 Promise Technology, Inc. All rights reserved.
    >
    >According to the docs I've found, it should prompt me with somthing
    >like:
    >
    >No array defined ...
    >Press <Ctrl-F> to enter FastBuild (tm) Utility
    >Or press <ESC> key to continue booting the system
    >
    >But I don't. I only get the other stuff I mentioned earlier.
    >
    >Computer specs:
    >AMD ThunderBird 900mhz
    >FIC AN-11 Stealth with Promise RAID
    >Hdds:
    > Western Digital WD400 (40.0 GB) on IDE2 Master
    > IBM Deskstar (41.0GB) on IDE3 Master
    >Sony CD-RW on IDE0 Master
    >No-Name DVD on IDE0 Slave
    >Plus standard video/nic/keyboard/mouse
    >
    >Any help would be much appreciated.
    , Jul 16, 2003

  3. Johann Koenig

    Guest

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 17:10:41 GMT, wrote:

    >On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 16:50:46 GMT, Johann Koenig <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I have 2 hdds I would like to put in a RAID 1 array. So, they are
    >>plugged into the RAID channels (IDE 2/3) , each one master on its own
    >>channel. When the RAID jumper is set to OFF, the computer boots fine,
    >>and I can see/use the hdds. If I switch it to ON though, the computer
    >>hangs in the Promise BIOS:

    >Check the docs at
    >E:\csw-windows\csw-win9x-05\Hardware\motherboards\fic\AN11

    Ouch....I referenced my drive. 8)

    The correct address is
    ftp://ftp.fica.com/manuals/motherboards/an11/

    >Wouldn't hurt to download alll three files.
    >
    >In the an11_addendum.zip there are several updates on RAID, which
    >talks about "other" switches having to be set while using RAID.
    >

    >>FastTrak100 (tm) "Lite" BIOS Version 2.00.0.23
    >>(c) 1995-2001 Promise Technology, Inc. All rights reserved.
    >>
    >>According to the docs I've found, it should prompt me with somthing
    >>like:
    >>
    >>No array defined ...
    >>Press <Ctrl-F> to enter FastBuild (tm) Utility
    >>Or press <ESC> key to continue booting the system
    >>
    >>But I don't. I only get the other stuff I mentioned earlier.
    >>
    >>Computer specs:
    >>AMD ThunderBird 900mhz
    >>FIC AN-11 Stealth with Promise RAID
    >>Hdds:
    >> Western Digital WD400 (40.0 GB) on IDE2 Master
    >> IBM Deskstar (41.0GB) on IDE3 Master
    >>Sony CD-RW on IDE0 Master
    >>No-Name DVD on IDE0 Slave
    >>Plus standard video/nic/keyboard/mouse
    >>
    >>Any help would be much appreciated.
    , Jul 16, 2003
  4. On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 17:10:41 GMT
    wrote:

    > In the an11_addendum.zip there are several updates on RAID, which
    > talks about "other" switches having to be set while using RAID.

    I'm not sure what they mean by the "RAID BIOS Utility" in the addendum.
    I went thorough the CMOS options several times, and found no mention of
    RAID, ever.

    I downgraded my BIOS, and got it working. I was sorely
    dissappointed to find that its software RAID. Also, one off my hdds (the
    IBM Deskstar, which I had problems with before) went bad, and things
    get all fscked up. I'm switching back to one hdd for the moment. I hope
    to get a set of Western Digital Special Edition 120gb (7200 RPM, 8MB
    buffer), and try again.

    Thanks for the tip, but I had read that pdf :-/ I spent a helluva lot
    of time on this problem.
    --
    -johann koenig

    Johann Koenig, Jul 18, 2003