    Any responses will be appreciated.
    Reply either here or by email to cliffz0rz at hotmail dot com.

    Cliff
    Cliffz0rz, Apr 26, 2004

  2. Cliffz0rz

    Guest

    Hi Cliff,
    It's fairly straight forward but you need an Eprom puller, like a pair
    of tweezers. When I got a replacement Eprom a couple of years ago,
    the supplier (British) supplied a wrist strap and a puller with it so
    maybe your 20 dollars includes that.

    Replacing the chip is straight forward enough as long as you make sure
    it faces the same way as the old chip. Usually there is a dot on the
    chip showing the proper orientation to the socket.

    One thing on new Eproms, the legs are usually splayed outwards, which
    means that as they are not at right angles to the chip, they will not
    go into the socket. I just lie the Eprom on it's edge, legs away from
    me and press down and forward slightly. Just enough pressure to turn
    the legs inwards to give them the proper angle to go in. Do it to
    both sides. If you don't straighten the legs then you will have a job
    putting the chip in.

    I can't remember though, what key you need to press when powering off
    the pc, to clear the CMOS, could have been delete but your supplier
    should tell you that.

    angie
    , Apr 26, 2004

  3. Cliffz0rz

    Cliffz0rz Guest

    Unfortunately my supplier does not have Eprom pullers or wrist straps...that
    sucks...
    Anyone know where I can get a pre-programmed BIOS chip for my MS-6501 K7D
    Master (non-L), with a puller and wrist strap for $20US or less? If it's $22
    I'm okay with that, but dont' want to go to $30 if I can avoid it...
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

    Cliff

    Cliffz0rz, Apr 30, 2004
  4. Cliffz0rz

    Paul Guest

    In article <Mqnkc.46268$>, "Cliffz0rz"
    <> wrote:

    > Unfortunately my supplier does not have Eprom pullers or wrist straps...that
    > sucks...
    > Anyone know where I can get a pre-programmed BIOS chip for my MS-6501 K7D
    > Master (non-L), with a puller and wrist strap for $20US or less? If it's $22
    > I'm okay with that, but dont' want to go to $30 if I can avoid it...
    > Thanks in advance for any suggestions...
    >
    > Cliff

    There are two kinds of EEPROMS I know of, for motherboards.

    A dual in line EEPROM (the old kind) has two rows of legs that
    run parallel to one another. You don't need a fancy chip puller
    for those - sticking a slot head screwdriver under one end, then
    the other end, and pry it a bit at a time, will work it loose.

    A new dual in line plastic (abbreviated "DIP") device comes with
    the legs "splayed". The legs are shaped that way, to make the part
    stay in place when it is inserted with automatic insertion equipment
    at the factory. As "angie" explained, you need to bend the legs a
    bit, so they line up with the holes.
    __________ _________
    |DIP EPROM | |BENT INTO| (Bend the legs if
    --|END VIEW |-- --| SHAPE |-- the new device isn't
    / |__________| \ | |_________| | shaped properly.)
    / \ | |

    The other kind is called PLCC or plastic leaded chip carrier.
    It is four sided and the legs bend underneath the package. The
    leads on a PLCC do not need to be bent for it to work. In fact,
    you should try not to bend them when working with them, or the
    contacts in the socket it fits in, for that matter.

    _______________
    --| PLCC END VIEW |-- (Legs bend under)
    | |_______________| | Do not change.
    |__ __|

    +-+-+-+-+
    + o + <-- There is a "dot" to mark the
    + + orientation. Make a note of
    + PLCC + how the original device is
    + (TOP) + fitted, before removing it.
    +-+-+-+-+

    A proper PLCC chip puller can be purchased at Radio Shack.
    (Not sure if a Canadian branch will have one.) This one has
    two hooks that fit underneath the diagonal corners of the
    device, where there aren't any pins to get in the way. The
    PLCC should be pulled straight out, and not wobbled if
    possible.

    http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=276-2101

    Insertion is just a snap fit and the tool is not used for
    that. Again, try to push all sides down at the same time,
    so the pins aren't messed about. After a few insertions and
    removals, the force required to insert the device will be
    reduced a bit.

    If you want a wrist strap, there is one here. Place the alligator
    clip on one of the nuts on an I/O connector, as they are connected
    to the electrical ground inside the board. A wrist strap is not
    a complete antistatic solution, but in this case would bring your
    body to the same electrostatic potential as the motherboard and
    the component you are handling. This is a slight improvement
    over no electrostatic precautions at all - an ESD mat would help
    also, but the cost would be much more than the cost of a strap.

    http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=276-2397

    Hope that helps,
    Paul

    Paul, May 1, 2004