AN35N Ultra & XP 3200+ Problem

Discussion in 'Shuttle' started by Big Fan, Dec 18, 2004.

  1. Big Fan

    Big Fan Guest

    I just bought an Athlon XP 3200+ for my AN35N Ultra MB. It is an
    upgrade from an XP 2700+.

    Shuttle AN35N Ultra
    2x 512MB Corsair Value RAM PC3200.
    450W Cooler Master PSU
    Thermalright SLK800U HS (w/ Arctic Silver) & Panaflow fan.

    I have set the FSB to 200 & everything else to "optimal"...No
    overclocking

    Temps are OK

    When booting I get an error screen Machine_Check_Exception, STOP
    0x0000009C just before the desktop appears.

    I can't get any further. I get better luck booting when I set the FSB
    to 190 or 192. If I try 199 or 200 the BSOD comes back.

    I put the XP 2700+ back in & it works fine!

    What could be causing this? Should I update the BIOS? Current BIOS
    is from 12/2003.
    Big Fan, Dec 18, 2004

  2. The latest bios update is 9/10/2004. I would put the XP 2700+ back in and
    update the bios. REinstall the 3200 and everything should work.
    http://global.shuttle.com/Download/Download_File.asp?Item=AN35/N Ultra & AN35/N-400

    Paul J. Veres, Dec 18, 2004

  3. Big Fan

    Big Fan Guest

    I updated the BIOS to the 9/10/04 version...Still get the error at the
    200mhz FSB. I am currently running it at 190mhz OK.

    I ran MemTest for a couple of hrs w/ 0 errors.

    I can't figure this one out? Could the CPU be defective? It's an OEM
    one.

    Big Fan, Dec 18, 2004
  4. Big Fan

    Big Fan Guest

    I am now running the FSB at 195mhz/388mhz. If I put it up to 200/400
    I still get the BSOD error message.

    What gives?!

    Big Fan, Dec 18, 2004
  5. Big Fan

    Fishface Guest

    Big Fan wrote:

    > When booting I get an error screen Machine_Check_Exception,
    > STOP 0x0000009C just before the desktop appears.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=162363

    First, I would try increasing the vdimm (voltage to the memory).
    I think it goes up to 1.7v. Try setting it at that.

    It is possible that you could have a board like mi- my sister's.
    It would only do 200 MHz with CPU Interface set to aggressive
    with the memory in single channel mode. That would be in dimm
    slots 1 and 2, I believe. Well, that's if you have two sticks of
    memory.

    I found the memory bandwidth to be far greater in single channel
    mode with CPU Interface set to aggressive than in dual channel
    mode, at a lower FSB, or in dual channel with CPU Interface
    set to optimal.
    Fishface, Dec 19, 2004
  6. Big Fan

    Mike Guest

    Ahhh....

    Someone with 'exactly' the same problem I am having.

    I have a Shuttle AN35N Ultra board and just bought a Athlon XP 3200.

    I get exactly the same errors.

    What I have found is that you can not run the system using the 11x
    multiplier with a 400 FSB.

    10.5x and 400 works fine.

    I contacted Shuttle and they basically blew me off. They wanted me to
    return the board. The board has been operating fine for a year now. I
    simple think this board was never designed to operate with a 400MHz FSB
    3200.

    If anyone has got a XP 3200 400FSB to work on this board, I would love to
    know how you did it.

    It's not the CPU, this is a board problem

    Mike

    Mike, Dec 19, 2004
  7. Big Fan

    Big Fan Guest

    Thanks for your help. Tried what u suggested & it's running OK at
    x10.5/200/400 fsb. It's now an XP 3000+ running at 2.10 GHZ,
    according to my PC.

    Which is better...2.2GHZ at 190/378 fsb or 2.1GHZ at 200/400 fsb?

    This is so frustrating!

    Big Fan, Dec 19, 2004
  8. Big Fan

    Fishface Guest

    You should make a bootable floppy or CD with Memtest86
    or the newer variant Memtest86+ and make sure you are not
    getting memory errors. And do try increasing vdimm. I see
    now that you have 2 x 512MB Corsair Value Ram. I see that
    the single sticks are spec'd to run at cl=2.5 and the dual kit it
    spec'd to run at cl=3. If the board is setting them both to 2.5,
    you might try them at 3. If you are using dimm slots 1 and 3,
    try 2 and three, or vice versa. You might also try bumping-up
    the voltage to the CPU a notch, to see if that helps. I had t
    bump the voltage up to 1.675v. to get the XP2500+ Prime 95
    stable at 200MHz, whereas it ran fine in an Abit NF7-S at
    1.65v, and that board under-volted a little. It's nice when
    everything works together out of the box, but apparently it
    didn't this time.
    Fishface, Dec 19, 2004
  9. Big Fan

    Mike Guest

    In my opinion, a 400MHz FSB is more valuable than an extra 100MHz CPU.

    The bus speed touches all aspects of your systems. You'll never notice a
    CPU bump from 2100 to 2200 Mhz which is only ~5%.

    If you ever find a way to make the Shuttle board work for the 3200, please
    let me know. I'll do the same.

    Good luck,
    Mike

    Mike, Dec 19, 2004
  10. Big Fan

    Mike Guest

    Ok, I think you're on to something here.

    For starters, I have two sticks of Micron RAM (2x512). I have executed
    memtest86 a number of times and these babies are rock solid.

    The problem is the board, not this board, but every Shuttle AN35N Ultra.
    They won't admit it but these things don't support a 400MHz FSB 3200 Athlon
    out of the box. You have to do some serious tweaking to get this thing to
    work. The CPUs are just fine, its a motherboard problem.

    I've been reading a lot about how these boards under volt. So, I tried a
    long and boring experiment. The results:

    Up your CPU voltage to 1.7
    Up your mem to 2.7
    **Up your AGP to 1.6 (This was the needle in the hay stack)

    How set your mutliplier to 11x and everything in the Advance Settings to
    optimal. Run the baby at 200MHz and you shoudl get the desire results, a
    Athlon XP 3200 with a 400MHx FSB.

    So far, my system is running stable. However, I plan to run Prime95 tonight
    to see if it craps out. Let me know if you get this thing to work.

    Good luck,
    Mike

    Mike, Dec 20, 2004
  11. Big Fan

    Big Fan Guest

    I tried exactly what you suggested & the PC booted to the desktop
    (that's better than before)...But I tried running 3DMark03 & it
    crashed within 60 secs.

    My CPU/MB hates the multiplier to be set at x11. x10.5 works great.
    I'm going to call Shuttle tomorrow & see what they say.

    Dave

    Big Fan, Dec 20, 2004
  12. Big Fan

    Fishface Guest

    Big Fan wrote:

    > My CPU/MB hates the multiplier to be set at x11. x10.5 works
    > great. I'm going to call Shuttle tomorrow & see what they say.

    So- did *anyone* try single channel yet? I got 3 GB/s of memory
    bandwidth out of that thing, which is way more than you are going
    to get setting CPU Interface to Optimal in dual channel...
    Fishface, Dec 20, 2004
  13. Big Fan

    Big Fan Guest

    I'm going to RMA this CPU back to GameVE.com. I took a closer look at
    the CPU core & there appears to be a small chip/pit on one edge. I
    don't recall seeing it before.

    I'll let you know

    Big Fan, Dec 21, 2004
  14. Big Fan

    Mike Guest

    Yes, I did. Unfortunately, it didn't work either.

    I also moved the DIMMS to every possible slot compbination but that didn't
    help.

    However, I agree that running without the dual channel enabled dose provide
    better performance when you use the aggressive timing.

    The best I can make of this is that the board really doesn't support this
    chip. I've checked a number of boards and haven't found anyone who has had
    any success.

    Any other ideas?

    THanks
    MIke

    Mike, Dec 22, 2004
  15. Big Fan

    Fishface Guest

    Mike wrote:

    > Any other ideas?

    You might check to see if the northbridge chip heatsink is getting very
    hot while running Prime95. If not, there may not be good contact. The
    chips are generally very concave. Mine was attached with a just little
    snot glue in one spot. You pretty much need to pull the board to remove
    the heatsink, should you feel that is necessary. And lapping the chip was
    sure no picnic. My Abit NF7-S had a huge wad of thermal compound
    under the stamped heatsink and noisy fan that failed within months. I
    replaced it with a passive Zalman that doesn't make contact with the
    entire chip surface and was so concave that I had to sand and lap it.
    Next time I will try some other brand of heatsink.
    Fishface, Dec 22, 2004
  16. Big Fan

    Mike Guest

    If you had it to do all over, what board would you recommend for an Athlon
    3200/400? I'm thinking about replacing the motherboard. I'll use the
    Shuttle board to build a Linux sandbox.

    I like the nVidia chip set. I need on-board audio and LAN but don't care
    too much about RAID.

    Thanks,
    Mike

    Mike, Dec 23, 2004
  17. Big Fan

    Fishface Guest

    Mike wrote:
    > If you had it to do all over, what board would you recommend for an Athlon
    > 3200/400? I'm thinking about replacing the motherboard. I'll use the
    > Shuttle board to build a Linux sandbox.
    >
    > I like the nVidia chip set. I need on-board audio and LAN but don't care
    > too much about RAID.

    I only have experience with one of each board, so that hardly makes me
    an expert. The only reason I bought the NF7-S is because I felt my $320
    investment in memory was wasted on the Shuttle that didn't overclock well
    and didn't run dual channel. The NF7-S had a reputation as a good
    overclocker, but mine would only do 212 or 213 FSB with CPU Interface
    set to "enabled." By disabling it, even at 230 FSB, memory bandwidth was
    lower. I do like the idea of a passive northbridge heatsink for quiet and low
    maintenance. I'd probably try another NF7-S, but replace the northbridge
    heatsink and fan right after bench testing it. It comes with a PATA to
    SATA adapter (serillel 2) and SATA cable, plus I use the firewire with a
    video camera.
    Fishface, Dec 24, 2004
  18. Big Fan

    Mike Guest

    THanks for the recommendation.

    I am also looking at a Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe. It seems to have a lot of
    positive reviews.

    Any comments on this board?

    Thanks again and have a great holiday.

    Mike

    Mike, Dec 24, 2004
  19. Big Fan

    Fishface Guest

    Mike wrote:
    > I am also looking at a Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe. It
    > seems to have a lot of positive reviews.

    It looks like there's a bunch of happy users. I see it has
    passive cooling on the northbridge. It may not be the
    ultimate overclocking board, but that may be just fine.
    The Abit does give you that Serillel 2 adapter, and it
    looks like they're fetching a pretty penny on eBay.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6729374585
    My PATA WD drive actually benchmarks a little better
    when connected to SATA with the adapter.

    ....but then there's the fan issue on the NF7-S. Mine
    started to make a racket after less than a year.
    Fishface, Dec 26, 2004
  20. Big Fan

    Mike Guest

    Yeah, the more I investigate the less taken I am with the Asus. I would
    like to overclocking.

    Are there any other high performance boards out there that you know of? I
    am starting to favor the NF7-S, even with the noisy fan.

    Thanks

    Mike, Dec 27, 2004