    screen freezes and the computer reboots. Any one have any ideas? Power
    supply ? Video card ? Motherboard ? Any suggestions would be greatly
    appreciated. Thanks.

    Tom, Jul 3, 2005

  2. Tom

    Frank_v7.0 Guest

    Tom wrote:
    > Hi. I have an an35n-ultra that is rebooting. I am playing a game and the
    > screen freezes and the computer reboots. Any one have any ideas? Power
    > supply ? Video card ? Motherboard ? Any suggestions would be greatly
    > appreciated. Thanks.

    It would be helpful if you listed your system specs, but with reboots
    I'd check the power supply first. I've built three AN35N's and the
    mininum power supply that I used was an Antec 350. There are higher
    rated "no name" power supplies that don't measure up to a quality 350.
    My son has the Antec 350 and mine are Antec 430 and 480. Both are
    overclocked Barton 2500's.

    --
    FRH

    Frank_v7.0, Jul 3, 2005

  3. Tom

    Tom Guest

    My system:
    Motherboard An35n-Ultra
    Memory 1 gig. Corsair xms memory. matched pair
    Video ATI 9800 Pro 128 megs
    Harddrive Western Digital 40 gig.
    Power Supply Antec 430 Watt.
    OS Windows XP Home Edition.

    I hope this helps a little. Thanks for your time.

    Tom, Jul 3, 2005
  4. Tom

    Frank_v7.0 Guest

    Tom wrote:
    > My system:
    > Motherboard An35n-Ultra
    > Memory 1 gig. Corsair xms memory. matched pair
    > Video ATI 9800 Pro 128 megs
    > Harddrive Western Digital 40 gig.
    > Power Supply Antec 430 Watt.
    > OS Windows XP Home Edition.
    >

    > I hope this helps a little. Thanks for your time.

    If it's working properly the Antec 430 is more than enough for your
    setup. How warm does your system get? Are you overclocking your
    processor? I use MBM to monitor my temps and my idle is around 36c and
    will get up to 42-44c using Prime95 (room temp 76-78f). You might also
    check for leaking capacitors, although the AN35N has never had a history
    of bad caps.

    --
    FRH

    Frank_v7.0, Jul 3, 2005
  5. Tom

    Fishface Guest

    Tom wrote:
    > My system:
    > Motherboard An35n-Ultra
    > Memory 1 gig. Corsair xms memory. matched pair
    > Video ATI 9800 Pro 128 megs
    > Harddrive Western Digital 40 gig.
    > Power Supply Antec 430 Watt.
    > OS Windows XP Home Edition.

    With no processor, I'm amazed you can play games at all!

    Make sure that windows is not set to reboot automatically on errors.
    Actually, I forget exactly how to do that with XP. Something in Control
    Panel | System, I think. In Win2k, it's Control Panel | System | Advanced
    tab | Startup and Recovery, Automatically Reboot (on System Failure).
    That way, you can see the error message, if there is one.

    See if you can give your Radeon more voltage, 1.6v or 1.7v or so. What
    voltage (Vdimm) are you feeding your memory? Make sure you are giving
    it the full 2.7v allowed by the AN35-N.

    My AN35-N would only run 183 MHz FSB with my Corsair XMS 3500
    in dual channel mode with CPU Interface set to Aggressive. Only by
    running in single channel mode was I able to run 200 MHz FSB. This speed
    in single channel resulted in more memory bandwidth.

    Get yourself a bootable CD or floppy with Memtest and make sure you are
    not getting memory errors. Check your system stability with Prime95 torture
    test.

    Fishface, Jul 4, 2005
  6. Tom

    Frank_v7.0 Guest

    Fishface wrote:>

    > With no processor, I'm amazed you can play games at all!

    LOL! ROTF! Good point!

    --
    FRH

    Frank_v7.0, Jul 4, 2005
  7. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Sorry guys..My mistake. I have an AMD 3.2 gig. Athlon with a Barton core.

    Tom, Jul 4, 2005
  8. Tom

    Mike S Guest

    Re: an35n ultra and lego Star Wars

    On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 23:47:01 -0400, "Tom" <> wrote:

    >Hi. I have an an35n-ultra that is rebooting. I am playing a game and the
    >screen freezes and the computer reboots. Any one have any ideas? Power
    >supply ? Video card ? Motherboard ? Any suggestions would be greatly
    >appreciated. Thanks.

    It would also help if you listed the game you are having problems with
    like does the game have any video cutscenes

    I have found that the "AN35/N ultra" isn't a very game friendly board

    I tried everything I could to get "Mech Commander 2" to run on it
    updated the video, sound drivers, and direct X
    downgraded drivers and direct X
    Lowered FSB to 100mhz
    change AGP aperture
    enable/disable=> AGP 8X support, fast write capability, Video RAM cacheable.
    Flashed Bios

    Ran Sisoft Sandra test and some memory test everything checks out

    "Mech Commander 2" installs fine and the menu shows and you can adjust
    settings, but as soon as I load the first mission it freezes at a news video cutscene.
    I tried reducing the video resolution and detail settings still no go.

    My nephew got "Lego Star Wars" for his birthday and was totally bummed
    that it would not play on their computer, so he brought it to my place to see if
    one of my computers would work. I read the requirements on the box they were
    pretty steep here's what the readme file says:

    you must have a video card that supports Pixel Shader 1.1 for LEGO: Star Wars to run. Unless you
    are running an Nvidia GeForce 3 ti, 4 ti, or FX, 6000 or an ATI Radeon 8500, or Radeon 9000 series,
    or X series card, this game will not run. None of the Nvidia GeForce MX, or GeForce 2/GTS/GO video
    cards are supported, as they lack the Pixel Shader chip on the card itself. Any ATI Radeon card
    model 9000 or higher should run LEGO: Star Wars. On-board Intel (82810, 82845, 82845G, 82865G) video
    chips are not supported, as they lack nearly all the required hardware needed to run LEGO: Star
    Wars.***Please note Nvidia TNT cards and ATI Rage cards are also NOT supported***

    Only the AN35 had a graphics card that could handle it a "RADEON 9000 64M" the game loads fine
    in WIN 2K and it also loads "Direct X 9c" . We got to "Dexter's resturant" which is kind of a hub
    for all the missions, and played around with the characters for a while but when the characters
    go through the door to play the first mission the screen would freeze on the cutscene, no error
    messages or anything. just some red thing on the screen against a space background.

    I reloaded it and it still would freeze at the same cutscene. I didn't want to let him
    down, and the game graphics looked so great, for a kids game that, I wanted to play it too.
    So I decided to try my "Soyo K7VTA PRO, Athlon 1000" as that computer has run anything
    I have thrown at it, I even nicknamed it the TANK. Unfortunately it had a "ATI RAGE 32M"
    so I swapped video cards and loaded the ATI RADEON drivers. Loaded the game up on it in win 2K.

    The game really came alive on the SOYO now we had music and more background sounds.
    Now when we go into the first mission the cutscene played with no problems, it ends up
    the red thing on the screen is a lego space ship that flys by and lands on a federation ship.
    I was kind of annoyed at this games high hardware requirements, but it's worth it
    the graphics are really great, a nice simple control interface, along with cool levels to play.
    2 people can play at once, and you can change characters while playing
    I could drop out and let the computer play my character, while my nephew
    played alone, and then I could pop back in again. You can even kill "Jar Jar Binks"
    when you do he just turns into a pile of Lego's. I had expected that there would be
    some kind of dialogue, but there isn't it's all just a few subtitles, actually I think the
    Prequel movies would have been better without dialogue too.

    Unfortunately my "ATI RAGE 32M" won't go in the Shuttle board as it is AGP1 and the
    board is AGP 8X so the video card has a notch in the wrong place. I had to swap the cards
    back, so I could use the shuttle again. I will probably get the cheapest video card I can find
    to stick in the shuttle and put the ATI RADEON 9000 back in the SOYO.

    At least I know now that it's not the video card thats causing the problem, but
    something about the "AN35/N ultra" thats causing games to freeze and lock up.

    I loaned it to a friend to play with and he couldn't get
    "Mech Commander 2" to run on it. We think it might be the ATI video card
    clashing with the Nvidia based board. where as my SOYO is a VIA based board.
    I have friends with AMD driven , ASUS and Abit boards, and the Shuttle seems to be the
    only AMD Board with problems. So it also might be that the Shuttle just isn't
    a very good board. The Soyo K7VTA PRO has never refused to run anything,
    the only adjustment I had to make was disable Hardware acceleration so I
    could zoom in and out in Pro Engineer.

    If anyone has been able to get "Mech Commander 2" or "Lego Star Wars"
    to run on a "Shuttle AN35/N ultra" let me know what setup and video card
    you are using. here is my set up.

    Shuttle AN35/N ultra
    AMD XP 2600 (333Mhz)
    Kingston DDR 400 512mb