AN8 and dual channel...

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Slitheen, May 3, 2005.

  1. Slitheen

    Slitheen Guest

    CPU-Z says; 'Channels#: Dual'. Everest says I have 'Dual DDR400', and
    Rightmark's utility thinks I have too.....yet Sandra, the fussy cow, says;
    Channels: 1. :)

    Is 'she' just being fussy? I have heard whisperings that there is only one
    particular version of Sisoft Sandra to use with socket 939/AMD 64
    systems....is this true? If so, anyone know which version that is exactly?

    One last thing, I can't seem to see if the BIOS of the AN8 (v12) mentions if
    you have successfully set up for dual channel or not. Most other brand mobos
    mention it in the BIOS or the Post screen....am I missing it, or is this
    info not there in Abit's AN8's case? I do have my matched pair of Geil Dual
    Channel branded DDR400 512MB sticks in the first two slots (the matching
    blue slots.....not in slots 1&3 or 2&4 like other mobos prefer their dual
    channel RAM). My suspicions are that Sandra is wrong, not the three other
    utilities....but Sandra is supposed to be the best there is. Also, bus width
    is reported as 128bit in the other three - which would suggest I am in dual
    channel mode. :\

    Thanks for any help/replies.
    Slitheen, May 3, 2005

  2. Slitheen

    Dazzer Guest

    My AN8 fatality says on boot screen, dual channel DDR400

    Dazzer, May 4, 2005

  3. Slitheen

    Slitheen Guest

    "Dazzer" <> wrote in message
    > My AN8 fatality says on boot screen, dual channel DDR400

    Is the boot screen the same as the post screen? If so, it goes by far too
    quickly for me to read. Is there anyway I can pause on it or something?

    Thanks
    Slitheen, May 5, 2005
  4. Re: Re: AN8 and dual channel...

    On Thu, 05 May 2005, "Slitheen" wrote:

    >> "Dazzer" wrote
    >> > My AN8 fatality says on boot screen, dual channel DDR400
    >> >

    >> Is the boot screen the same as the post screen? If so, it goes by far too
    >> quickly for me to read. Is there anyway I can pause on it or something?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    Use the <del> or <f2> or whatever key to get into your BIOS menus, and
    disable quick boot. That will cause the memory test to run a few times,
    giving you the time to read the BIOS version.

    Or get LOTS more memory so the quick scan takes enough time to read this
    information...
    Brian Brunner, May 5, 2005
  5. Slitheen

    Slitheen Guest

    Re: Re: AN8 and dual channel...

    "Brian Brunner" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 05 May 2005, "Slitheen" wrote:
    >
    >>> "Dazzer" wrote
    >>> >

    >>> Is the boot screen the same as the post screen? If so, it goes by far
    >>> too
    >>> quickly for me to read. Is there anyway I can pause on it or something?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    > Use the <del> or <f2> or whatever key to get into your BIOS menus, and
    > disable quick boot. That will cause the memory test to run a few times,
    > giving you the time to read the BIOS version.

    Cheers for the tip. I'll try it out next time I restart.

    > Or get LOTS more memory so the quick scan takes enough time to read this
    > information...

    Lots more memory? I think 1024MB of good quality, low latency, high speed
    Geil DDR400 dual channel RAM is by far and away enough...don't you?
    Personally, I think that anyone who has more than that installed and is not
    doing seriously demanding video editing, or working professionally with
    Photoshop etc - and who is only really gaming and doing other fairly
    standard stuff, is going after the bragging rights. They are certainly not
    utilizing all of it anyway! :)

    I've been told off a fair few 'techies' that the old adage of; "you can
    never have too much memory" is actually a fairly big untruth. I read an
    interesting thread on a forum the other week where this was discussed -
    several thread contributors were comparing benchmarks, and one guy put it to
    the test. Sandra gave him better results with a gig of memory than with 2
    gig. He couldn't quite get his head around it...and neither could I - but
    then it was pointed out by other contributors that having too much memory is
    actually doing you no favours. I'm sure many will choose not to believe it
    though. I personally think it makes sense. I have also witnessed a system
    act poorly when 2GB was installed - the memory was tested and good quality.
    This was a friend of mine who has a degree in computing and I.T - his job is
    to maintain (and install where necessary) the vast network of computers for
    Manchester city council...he really does know his shit (it was fairly early
    days when he tried the 2GB of ram thing). He has since come to a firm
    conclusion that each system, depending on what it's mainly used for, and
    other hardware factors, has a 'happy level' when it comes to RAM. The
    perfect amount of RAM for *a* particular system. He would surely tell you
    that 2GB, or basically more than 1GB, for my own personal requirements,
    would be overkill, unnecessary and waste of money. Who am I to argue with
    him? He knows far, far more than I do on the subject of PC's and hardware.
    :)

    Regards.
    Slitheen, May 5, 2005
  6. Re: Re: Re: AN8 and dual channel...

    On Thu, 05 May 2005, "Slitheen" wrote:

    >> "Brian Brunner" wrote

    >> > Use the <del> or <f2> or whatever key to get into your BIOS menus, and
    >> > disable quick boot. That will cause the memory test to run a few times,
    >> > giving you the time to read the BIOS version.

    >> Cheers for the tip. I'll try it out next time I restart.

    Hope it works out.

    >> > Or get LOTS more memory so the quick scan takes enough time to read this
    >> > information...
    >> >

    >> Lots more memory? I think 1024MB

    That was a joke... having so much RAM that the quick boot was slow
    enough to read the BIOS data... that's a silly reason to get more RAM.
    Brian Brunner, May 6, 2005
  7. Slitheen

    Slitheen Guest

    Re: Re: Re: AN8 and dual channel...

    > That was a joke... having so much RAM that the quick boot was slow
    > enough to read the BIOS data... that's a silly reason to get more RAM.

    Derrr. My mistake, of course it was. Hangs head in shame. ;)
    Slitheen, May 8, 2005