    to leave pins 11, 12, 23 & 24 unconnected if so why was a 24 pin socket
    fitted and connected ?

    Richard Fleet

    Richard Fleet, Nov 21, 2007

  2. Richard Fleet

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 18:59:39 +0000, Richard Fleet wrote:

    > I've an AN8 Ultra MB which has a 24 pin ATX power supply socket, it been
    > running happily for some time on a 20 Pin, the manual says pins 11, 12,
    > 23 & 24 should be left unconnected.

    Check your manual again. It probably says that about using a 20 pin PSU
    connector.

    > My new power supply has a 20 + 4 pin power supply plug, do I still need
    > to leave pins 11, 12, 23 & 24 unconnected if so why was a 24 pin socket
    > fitted and connected ?

    If it's a 24pin connector and you have a 24pin PSU, use all 24 pins.

    Wes Newell, Nov 22, 2007

  3. Wes Newell wrote:
    > On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 18:59:39 +0000, Richard Fleet wrote:
    >
    >> I've an AN8 Ultra MB which has a 24 pin ATX power supply socket, it been
    >> running happily for some time on a 20 Pin, the manual says pins 11, 12,
    >> 23 & 24 should be left unconnected.

    > Check your manual again. It probably says that about using a 20 pin PSU
    > connector.
    >
    >> My new power supply has a 20 + 4 pin power supply plug, do I still need
    >> to leave pins 11, 12, 23 & 24 unconnected if so why was a 24 pin socket
    >> fitted and connected ?

    > If it's a 24pin connector and you have a 24pin PSU, use all 24 pins.

    That's what I thought - but the system won't start if all are connected,
    I cant figure if it's the PSU (550w Colorsit) or the MB it works ok if I
    leave pins 11, 12, 23 & 24 unconnected.

    Richard Fleet, Nov 22, 2007
  4. Richard Fleet

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 09:32:14 +0000, Richard Fleet wrote:

    > That's what I thought - but the system won't start if all are connected,
    > I cant figure if it's the PSU (550w Colorsit) or the MB it works ok if I
    > leave pins 11, 12, 23 & 24 unconnected.

    Everything you want to know about PSU's.

    http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html

    Wes Newell, Nov 22, 2007