Android vs Qt vs C/C++

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Zarakava, Dec 15, 2011.

  1. Zarakava

    Zarakava Guest

    Hi All,
    I am a mobile application developer and this is the first time
    have entered into developing an embedded application from scratch. I kno
    that the title is a bit misleading and there will be rebuts in the ground
    that Android is an OS and Qt is a framework and C/C++ is a language. Let m
    explain my requirement.
    I need to develop an embedded device which will be installed in a vehicl
    and it will periodically send telemetrics data to the cloud server usin
    GSM modem. The telemetrics will include
    1. GPS position data
    2. Accelerometer readings
    3. Image/Video data
    4. It needs to light up a bulb on the device to visually indicate ras
    driving to the driver based on algorithms derived fro
    acceleration/deceleration values

    I am looking forward to suggestions in the following areas:-

    1. How to select an appropriate processor, sensor components? Who wil
    design the board? Do the silicon suppliers provide consultancy in that are
    or does an hardware engineer select the processors, components and design
    the board,the board design is then given to the silicon supplier as made t
    order specs?
    2. Android: Is it feasible to to port Linux for Android. Then port Androi
    on top of that. Write Android ready device drivers and then hook it to th
    Android APIs. Then write an Android application. My device will not have
    display or a HMI. So is Android really adding value to my solution and i
    it worth to go through all the efforts mentioned above?
    3. Qt: I am least experienced in Qt. But my understanding is that Qt ca
    take place of Android as an application framework. The process an
    questions pretty much remain the same as for Android.
    4. C/C++: Or write C/C++ programs which will directly interact with th
    device drivers and achieve the need.

    Thanks a Ton!

    ---------------------------------------

    Zarakava, Dec 15, 2011

  2. Zarakava

    Anony Mous Guest

    On 12/15/2011 8:05 AM, Zarakava wrote:
    > I am a mobile application developer and this is the first time i
    > have entered into developing an embedded application from scratch. I know
    > that the title is a bit misleading and there will be rebuts in the grounds
    > that Android is an OS and Qt is a framework and C/C++ is a language. Let me
    > explain my requirement.
    > I need to develop an embedded device which will be installed in a vehicle
    > and it will periodically send telemetrics data to the cloud server using
    > GSM modem. The telemetrics will include
    > 1. GPS position data
    > 2. Accelerometer readings
    > 3. Image/Video data
    > 4. It needs to light up a bulb on the device to visually indicate rash
    > driving to the driver based on algorithms derived from
    > acceleration/deceleration values
    >
    > I am looking forward to suggestions in the following areas:-
    >
    > 1. How to select an appropriate processor, sensor components? Who will
    > design the board? Do the silicon suppliers provide consultancy in that area
    > or does an hardware engineer select the processors, components and designs
    > the board,the board design is then given to the silicon supplier as made to
    > order specs?
    > 2. Android: Is it feasible to to port Linux for Android. Then port Android
    > on top of that. Write Android ready device drivers and then hook it to the
    > Android APIs. Then write an Android application. My device will not have a
    > display or a HMI. So is Android really adding value to my solution and is
    > it worth to go through all the efforts mentioned above?
    > 3. Qt: I am least experienced in Qt. But my understanding is that Qt can
    > take place of Android as an application framework. The process and
    > questions pretty much remain the same as for Android.
    > 4. C/C++: Or write C/C++ programs which will directly interact with the
    > device drivers and achieve the need.

    Seems like most of these capabilities are already available to you in
    the phone.
    You could at least use the phone for development and then port to your
    target.
    If you plan to focus on Android and don't want to use a phone, then
    you can look at the Arduino platform and add the components that you need.
    http://store.arduino.cc/ww/index.php
    I think you can do most of what you want under Android with a Java app.
    Anything above that you could then use C++ using the native development
    kit (NDK).

    Anony Mous, Dec 15, 2011

  3. Zarakava

    Zarakava Guest

    Hello,
    Just heard that the client is going with Freescale MCF5445x micro.
    So should the next step be flashing Freescale Linux BSP?
    Will i have to write the kernel drivers for Accelerometer , GPS , Camer
    etc?
    Add the drivers, cross compile the kernel and flash it again?

    Thanks!

    >On 12/15/2011 8:05 AM, Zarakava wrote:
    >> I am a mobile application developer and this is the first time i
    >> have entered into developing an embedded application from scratch.

    know
    >> that the title is a bit misleading and there will be rebuts in th

    grounds
    >> that Android is an OS and Qt is a framework and C/C++ is a language. Le

    me
    >> explain my requirement.
    >> I need to develop an embedded device which will be installed in

    vehicle
    >> and it will periodically send telemetrics data to the cloud serve

    using
    >> GSM modem. The telemetrics will include
    >> 1. GPS position data
    >> 2. Accelerometer readings
    >> 3. Image/Video data
    >> 4. It needs to light up a bulb on the device to visually indicate rash
    >> driving to the driver based on algorithms derived from
    >> acceleration/deceleration values
    >>
    >> I am looking forward to suggestions in the following areas:-
    >>
    >> 1. How to select an appropriate processor, sensor components? Who will
    >> design the board? Do the silicon suppliers provide consultancy in tha

    area
    >> or does an hardware engineer select the processors, components an

    designs
    >> the board,the board design is then given to the silicon supplier as mad

    >> order specs?
    >> 2. Android: Is it feasible to to port Linux for Android. Then por

    Android
    >> on top of that. Write Android ready device drivers and then hook it t

    the
    >> Android APIs. Then write an Android application. My device will not hav

    >> display or a HMI. So is Android really adding value to my solution an

    is

    ---------------------------------------

    Zarakava, Dec 15, 2011
  4. Zarakava

    Tim Wescott Guest

    On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 07:05:32 -0600, Zarakava wrote:

    > Hi All,
    > I am a mobile application developer and this is the first time i
    > have entered into developing an embedded application from scratch. I
    > know that the title is a bit misleading and there will be rebuts in the
    > grounds that Android is an OS and Qt is a framework and C/C++ is a
    > language. Let me explain my requirement.
    > I need to develop an embedded device which will be installed in a
    > vehicle and it will periodically send telemetrics data to the cloud
    > server using GSM modem. The telemetrics will include 1. GPS position
    > data
    > 2. Accelerometer readings
    > 3. Image/Video data
    > 4. It needs to light up a bulb on the device to visually indicate rash
    > driving to the driver based on algorithms derived from
    > acceleration/deceleration values
    >
    > I am looking forward to suggestions in the following areas:-
    >
    > 1. How to select an appropriate processor, sensor components? Who will
    > design the board? Do the silicon suppliers provide consultancy in that
    > area or does an hardware engineer select the processors, components and
    > designs the board,the board design is then given to the silicon supplier
    > as made to order specs?

    Silicon vendors will be happy to help you select parts. Oddly, though,
    they will help you select _their_ parts. Unless there's some support
    chip that they absolutely don't make, they'll select their support chips,
    too. If their parts all happen to be wildly inappropriate -- they'll
    help you by selecting _their_ parts.

    Ultimately the hardware engineer needs to select the final parts to go
    into the device, and design the board.

    The silicon vendors aren't interested in your board design, beyond the
    extent to which their parts are on it. You will send the board fab files
    out to a board fabrication house to have the raw board built, then you
    will send the boards, and the schematics, bill of materials (BOM) and
    parts placement diagram to a board assembly house, which will build the
    boards. Any board testing that needs to be done is up to you, or you in
    conjunction with the board assembly house.

    You need to partner with a good hardware engineer, or you need to
    prototype this thing on a phone or tablet or laptop or whatever, use that
    as a technology demonstrator, and then use the success of that to attract
    investment and talent.

    Sensor selection isn't trivial. If you're serious about this contact me
    off list, I'm not the worlds most profound expert on this, but I'm pretty
    darn good.

    > 2. Android: Is it feasible to to port Linux for Android. Then port
    > Android on top of that. Write Android ready device drivers and then hook
    > it to the Android APIs. Then write an Android application. My device
    > will not have a display or a HMI. So is Android really adding value to
    > my solution and is it worth to go through all the efforts mentioned
    > above?

    Feasible, yes. Adding value? I don't think so.

    > 3. Qt: I am least experienced in Qt. But my understanding is that
    > Qt can take place of Android as an application framework. The process
    > and questions pretty much remain the same as for Android.

    Qt is good if you have a display and need menus, etc. If your UI is just
    buttons and lights, then it's a huge load of unnecessary dead code.

    > 4. C/C++: Or
    > write C/C++ programs which will directly interact with the device
    > drivers and achieve the need.

    That's certainly how I'd approach this, unless you had a display that
    needed human interaction. Even then I'd evaluate whether some smaller
    menuing system, running atop a little real-time kernel, wouldn't be more
    appropriate.

    http://www.wescottdesign.com

    Tim Wescott, Dec 15, 2011
  5. Zarakava

    Tim Wescott Guest

    On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 09:47:16 -0600, Zarakava wrote:
    (top posting fixed)

> [...]

    >>target.
    >>If you plan to focus on Android and don't want to use a phone, then you
    >>can look at the Arduino platform and add the components that you

    > need.
    >>http://store.arduino.cc/ww/index.php
    >>I think you can do most of what you want under Android with a Java app.
    >>Anything above that you could then use C++ using the native development
    >>kit (NDK).
    >>

    > --------------------------------------- Posted through
    >
    > http://www.EmbeddedRelated.com
    > Hello,
    > Just heard that the client is going with Freescale MCF5445x micro. So
    > should the next step be flashing Freescale Linux BSP? Will i have to
    > write the kernel drivers for Accelerometer , GPS , Camera etc?
    > Add the drivers, cross compile the kernel and flash it again?

    A BSP is a _board_ support package. The next step, if you're going to
    use Linux, would be modifying the BSP to work with whatever _board_ that
    processor is going on.

    If you can get the attention of a Freescale applications engineer, having
    a chat with them about what the whole job entails may be a very good
    idea. At best, there's some standard treatment to putting the processor
    on the board that leaves you with everything working. At worst, you'll
    know just how much over your head you're in, and you'll be able to figure
    out where to go from here.

    http://www.wescottdesign.com

    Tim Wescott, Dec 15, 2011
  6. Zarakava

    linnix Guest

    On Dec 15, 5:05 am, "Zarakava" <biju@n_o_s_p_a_m.binaryveda.com>
    wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >        I am a mobile application developer and this is the first time i
    > have entered into developing an embedded application from scratch. I know
    > that the title is a bit misleading and there will be rebuts in the grounds
    > that Android is an OS and Qt is a framework and C/C++ is a language. Let me
    > explain my requirement.
    > I need to develop an embedded device which will be installed in a vehicle
    > and it will periodically send telemetrics data to the cloud server using
    > GSM modem. The telemetrics will include
    > 1. GPS position data
    > 2. Accelerometer readings
    > 3. Image/Video data
    > 4. It needs to light up a bulb on the device to visually indicate rash
    > driving to the driver based on algorithms derived from
    > acceleration/deceleration values
    >
    > I am looking forward to suggestions in the following areas:-
    >
    > 1. How to select an appropriate processor, sensor components? Who will
    > design the board? Do the silicon suppliers provide consultancy in that area
    > or does an hardware engineer select the processors, components and designs
    > the board,the board design is then given to the silicon supplier as made to
    > order specs?

    Depends on your budget. If you want chip supplier to do it for you,
    talk tens of K or even hundreds of K. Otherwise, just hire hardware
    engineer like me to do it.

    > 2. Android: Is it feasible to to port Linux for Android. Then port Android
    > on top of that. Write Android ready device drivers and then hook it to the
    > Android APIs. Then write an Android application.

    Android is a framework, running on top of Linux kernel 2.6.

    > My device will not have a
    > display or a HMI. So is Android really adding value to my solution and is
    > it worth to go through all the efforts mentioned above?

    Not really, but using Android capable devices save development cost.
    Due to volume, the whole device is cheaper than the parts.

    linnix, Dec 15, 2011
  7. Zarakava

    Zarakava Guest

    Thanks a lot Tim for the explanation.
    I am not clear on the following points. Kindly correct me if I am wrong
    1. Who is the creator of BSP. In my understanding it will have to b
    Freescale or the respective manufacturer.
    2. The BSP will have an OS image with core drivers. By modifying the BSP,
    think you mean adding drivers for other components or sensors on the boar
    like GPS etc. In my understanding i(Software Engineer) will have to writ
    the drivers for these sensors and the camera chip.If I am lucky i migh
    find an already written driver for download.
    3. I find that Freescale MCF5445X series are the Coldfire V
    Microprocessors which is based on 68K(CISC) architecture. All other commo
    embedded system instruction set architectures like ARM, PPC are RISC based
    Will that affect the choice of the processor in anyways.
    >On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 09:47:16 -0600, Zarakava wrote:
    >(top posting fixed)

    >> know

    >> grounds

    >> me

    >> vehicle

    >> using

    rash

    will

    that
    >> area

    >> designs

    >> Android

    >> the

    and

    ---------------------------------------

    Zarakava, Dec 15, 2011
  8. Zarakava

    linnix Guest

    On Dec 15, 9:13 am, "Zarakava" <biju@n_o_s_p_a_m.binaryveda.com>
    wrote:
    > Thanks a lot Tim for the explanation.
    > I am not clear on the following points. Kindly correct me if I am wrong
    > 1. Who is the creator of BSP. In my understanding it will have to be
    > Freescale or the respective manufacturer.
    > 2. The BSP will have an OS image with core drivers. By modifying the BSP,i
    > think you mean adding drivers for other components or sensors on the board
    > like GPS etc. In my understanding i(Software Engineer) will have to write
    > the drivers for these sensors and the camera chip.If I am lucky i might
    > find an already written driver for download.
    > 3. I find that Freescale MCF5445X series are the Coldfire V4
    > Microprocessors which is based on 68K(CISC) architecture. All other common
    > embedded system instruction set architectures like ARM, PPC are RISC based.
    > Will that affect the choice of the processor in anyways.

    Yes, MCF5445 (BGA) boards will be expensive. I can understand GSM,
    GPS and ACC in your app, but why image sensor? Where is it pointing
    to? For what? Without the image sensor, you can probably use a much
    cheaper micro.

    linnix, Dec 15, 2011
  9. Zarakava

    Tim Wescott Guest

    On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 11:13:17 -0600, Zarakava wrote:

    (top posting fixed _again_)

    >>On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 09:47:16 -0600, Zarakava wrote: (top posting fixed)

    >>> know
    >>> grounds
    >>> me
    >>> vehicle
    >>> using

    > rash

    > will

    > that
    >>> area
    >>> designs
    >>> Android

    >>> the

    > and
    >>> is
    >>> can

    >>> need.
    >>>>

    >>> --------------------------------------- Posted through
    >>>
    >>> http://www.EmbeddedRelated.com
    >>> Hello,
    >>> Just heard that the client is going with Freescale MCF5445x micro. So
    >>> should the next step be flashing Freescale Linux BSP? Will i have to
    >>> write the kernel drivers for Accelerometer , GPS , Camera etc? Add the
    >>> drivers, cross compile the kernel and flash it again?

    >>A BSP is a _board_ support package. The next step, if you're going to
    >>use Linux, would be modifying the BSP to work with whatever _board_ that
    >>processor is going on.
    >>
    >>If you can get the attention of a Freescale applications engineer,
    >>having

    >>a chat with them about what the whole job entails may be a very good
    >>idea. At best, there's some standard treatment to putting the processor
    >>on the board that leaves you with everything working. At worst, you'll
    >>know just how much over your head you're in, and you'll be able to
    >>figure

    >>out where to go from here.
    >>

    > Thanks a lot Tim for the explanation. I am not clear on the following
    > points. Kindly correct me if I am wrong
    >
    > 1. Who is the creator of BSP. In
    > my understanding it will have to be Freescale or the respective
    > manufacturer.

    Anyone who writes it. It doesn't have to be the manufacturer, but it's
    nice if you don't have to write it.

    Keep in mind that your client is going to buy a _processor_ to build a
    _board_ -- that makes _them_ the "board manufacturer" -- which means that
    they are on the hook to write the _board_ support package.

    Hopefully Freescale will have a BSP written for some eval board, and your
    client will be willing to stay pretty close to the core functionality of
    that eval board in their board design. If they do, then you will have a
    lot less work porting the BSP.

    > 2. The BSP will have an OS image with core drivers. By
    > modifying the BSP, i think you mean adding drivers for other components
    > or sensors on the board like GPS etc. In my understanding i(Software
    > Engineer) will have to write the drivers for these sensors and the
    > camera chip.If I am lucky i might find an already written driver for
    > download.

    Correct. And if the board design deviates from what the BSP 'expects'
    you'll have to fix that, too.

    You may find drivers, but you'll almost certainly have to modify them to
    match your particular hardware, the particular way it's connected to the
    chip, and the particular version of the OS that you're using.

    You may also be able to hack the drivers into user space, if you can
    choke the necessary permissions to access hardware out of Linux. This is
    generally bad style, but not in a way that greatly impacts the quality of
    the software for a single version of a product, so for your specific case
    it may be the best overall solution.

    > 3. I find that Freescale MCF5445X series are the Coldfire V4
    > Microprocessors which is based on 68K(CISC) architecture. All other
    > common embedded system instruction set architectures like ARM, PPC are
    > RISC based. Will that affect the choice of the processor in anyways.

    It affects what the processor is capable of, but AFAIK the 68K is a nice
    processor, so that certainly doesn't rule out its use.

    http://www.wescottdesign.com

    Tim Wescott, Dec 15, 2011
  10. Zarakava

    Zarakava Guest

    Hi Linnix,
    Image sensors because along with telemetric data, even images are capture
    and sent to the cloud server.

    >On Dec 15, 9:13=A0am, "Zarakava" <biju@n_o_s_p_a_m.binaryveda.com>
    >wrote:
    >> Thanks a lot Tim for the explanation.
    >> I am not clear on the following points. Kindly correct me if I am wrong
    >> 1. Who is the creator of BSP. In my understanding it will have to be
    >> Freescale or the respective manufacturer.
    >> 2. The BSP will have an OS image with core drivers. By modifying th

    BSP,=
    >> think you mean adding drivers for other components or sensors on th

    boar=
    >> like GPS etc. In my understanding i(Software Engineer) will have t

    write
    >> the drivers for these sensors and the camera chip.If I am lucky i might
    >> find an already written driver for download.
    >> 3. I find that Freescale MCF5445X series are the Coldfire V4
    >> Microprocessors which is based on 68K(CISC) architecture. All othe

    commo=
    >> embedded system instruction set architectures like ARM, PPC are RIS

    base=

    ---------------------------------------

    Zarakava, Dec 16, 2011
  11. Zarakava

    Zarakava Guest

    Thanks Tim.
    Even though i am not looking at using Android now, but there is no Androi
    port available for 68K processor right.
    So in the same manner, will the choice also limit availability o
    compatible OS, tools etc.

    >On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 11:13:17 -0600, Zarakava wrote:
    >
    >(top posting fixed _again_)
    >
    >>>On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 09:47:16 -0600, Zarakava wrote: (top posting fixed)

    language.

    >> rash

    >> will

    >> that

    >> and

    your

    ---------------------------------------

    Zarakava, Dec 16, 2011
  12. Zarakava

    Tim Wescott Guest

    On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 22:02:10 -0600, Zarakava wrote:

    > Thanks Tim.
    > Even though i am not looking at using Android now, but there is no
    > Android port available for 68K processor right. So in the same manner,
    > will the choice also limit availability of compatible OS, tools etc.

    There might be a Linux port for the 68K -- check Debian to see what's
    current. Straight Linux, if you do anything at all that big, is probably
    the way to go.

    --
    Tim Wescott
    www.wescottdesign.com

    Tim Wescott, Dec 18, 2011
  13. Zarakava

    Tim Wescott Guest

    On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 09:52:05 -0600, Tim Wescott wrote:

    > On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 22:02:10 -0600, Zarakava wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks Tim.
    >> Even though i am not looking at using Android now, but there is no
    >> Android port available for 68K processor right. So in the same manner,
    >> will the choice also limit availability of compatible OS, tools etc.
    >>

    > There might be a Linux port for the 68K -- check Debian to see what's
    > current. Straight Linux, if you do anything at all that big, is
    > probably the way to go.

    I just checked -- the Debian port for 68K is "unofficial", but they say
    they're reviving it.

    --
    Tim Wescott
    www.wescottdesign.com

    Tim Wescott, Dec 18, 2011
  14. Zarakava

    David Brown Guest

    On 18/12/2011 17:00, Tim Wescott wrote:
    > On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 09:52:05 -0600, Tim Wescott wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 22:02:10 -0600, Zarakava wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thanks Tim.
    >>> Even though i am not looking at using Android now, but there is no
    >>> Android port available for 68K processor right. So in the same manner,
    >>> will the choice also limit availability of compatible OS, tools etc.
    >>>

    >> There might be a Linux port for the 68K -- check Debian to see what's
    >> current. Straight Linux, if you do anything at all that big, is
    >> probably the way to go.

    > I just checked -- the Debian port for 68K is "unofficial", but they say
    > they're reviving it.

    There certainly is Linux for the 68K, though it's not much used these
    days. There was a time when Linux on Coldfire was very popular for
    small NAT routers, but I believe most of the market share here has been
    lost to MIPS SoCs. Linux on "real" 68xxx devices was popular a long
    time ago, such as on pre-PPC Macs.

    I don't think Debian would be the best starting point for Linux on a
    Coldfire. I would start my search with ucLinux - ColdFire was one of
    the two main targets for the MMU-less Linux, as many Coldfire's don't
    have an MMU, and even though the v4 core has one, it's a bit limited,
    and you might choose to run without it. MMU-less Linux has been
    incorporated into the mainline kernel for many years, but looking up
    ucLinux might give useful information.

    David Brown, Dec 19, 2011
  15. Tim Wescott <> writes:

    > There might be a Linux port for the 68K -- check Debian to see what's
    > current. Straight Linux, if you do anything at all that big, is probably
    > the way to go.

    Things might have changed, but I seem to remember that the 68k support
    was better in the OpenBSD camp than in the Linux camp. Take a look at:
    http://www.openbsd.org/mac68k.html

    //Petter
    --
    ..sig removed by request.

    Petter Gustad, Dec 19, 2011
  16. Zarakava

    Tim Wescott Guest

    On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 10:44:35 +0100, David Brown wrote:

    > On 18/12/2011 17:00, Tim Wescott wrote:

    >>> There might be a Linux port for the 68K -- check Debian to see what's
    >>> current. Straight Linux, if you do anything at all that big, is
    >>> probably the way to go.

    >> I just checked -- the Debian port for 68K is "unofficial", but they say
    >> they're reviving it.
    >>

    > There certainly is Linux for the 68K, though it's not much used these
    > days. There was a time when Linux on Coldfire was very popular for
    > small NAT routers, but I believe most of the market share here has been
    > lost to MIPS SoCs. Linux on "real" 68xxx devices was popular a long
    > time ago, such as on pre-PPC Macs.
    >
    > I don't think Debian would be the best starting point for Linux on a
    > Coldfire. I would start my search with ucLinux - ColdFire was one of
    > the two main targets for the MMU-less Linux, as many Coldfire's don't
    > have an MMU, and even though the v4 core has one, it's a bit limited,
    > and you might choose to run without it. MMU-less Linux has been
    > incorporated into the mainline kernel for many years, but looking up
    > ucLinux might give useful information.

    I kinda mentioned this in another post, but I should reiterate it here:

    I would seriously question the need for something as heavy-weight as
    Linux for this application at all.

    Any old real-time kernel, or even a thoughtfully-constructed task loop,
    should do the job just fine. Linux is certainly overkill, although it
    wouldn't necessarily prevent things from working.

    http://www.wescottdesign.com

    Tim Wescott, Dec 19, 2011
  17. Zarakava

    linnix Guest

    On Dec 19, 10:58 am, Tim Wescott <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 10:44:35 +0100, David Brown wrote:

    > >> I just checked -- the Debian port for 68K is "unofficial", but they say
    > >> they're reviving it.

    > > There certainly is Linux for the 68K, though it's not much used these
    > > days.  There was a time when Linux on Coldfire was very popular for
    > > small NAT routers, but I believe most of the market share here has been
    > > lost to MIPS SoCs.  Linux on "real" 68xxx devices was popular a long
    > > time ago, such as on pre-PPC Macs.

    > > I don't think Debian would be the best starting point for Linux on a
    > > Coldfire.  I would start my search with ucLinux - ColdFire was one of
    > > the two main targets for the MMU-less Linux, as many Coldfire's don't
    > > have an MMU, and even though the v4 core has one, it's a bit limited,
    > > and you might choose to run without it.  MMU-less Linux has been
    > > incorporated into the mainline kernel for many years, but looking up
    > > ucLinux might give useful information.

    > I kinda mentioned this in another post, but I should reiterate it here:
    >
    > I would seriously question the need for something as heavy-weight as
    > Linux for this application at all.
    >
    > Any old real-time kernel, or even a thoughtfully-constructed task loop,
    > should do the job just fine.  Linux is certainly overkill, although it
    > wouldn't necessarily prevent things from working.

    I would say the same (overkill) for the hardware, except for the image/
    video. I just don't understand the need for the image/video chip. Is
    this driver assistant for the blind?

    linnix, Dec 19, 2011
  18. Zarakava

    Tim Wescott Guest

    On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 12:24:37 -0800, linnix wrote:

    > On Dec 19, 10:58 am, Tim Wescott <> wrote:

    >> > There certainly is Linux for the 68K, though it's not much used these
    >> > days.  There was a time when Linux on Coldfire was very popular for
    >> > small NAT routers, but I believe most of the market share here has
    >> > been lost to MIPS SoCs.  Linux on "real" 68xxx devices was popular a
    >> > long time ago, such as on pre-PPC Macs.

    >> > I don't think Debian would be the best starting point for Linux on a
    >> > Coldfire.  I would start my search with ucLinux - ColdFire was one of
    >> > the two main targets for the MMU-less Linux, as many Coldfire's don't
    >> > have an MMU, and even though the v4 core has one, it's a bit limited,
    >> > and you might choose to run without it.  MMU-less Linux has been
    >> > incorporated into the mainline kernel for many years, but looking up
    >> > ucLinux might give useful information.

    >> I kinda mentioned this in another post, but I should reiterate it here:
    >>
    >> I would seriously question the need for something as heavy-weight as
    >> Linux for this application at all.
    >>
    >> Any old real-time kernel, or even a thoughtfully-constructed task loop,
    >> should do the job just fine.  Linux is certainly overkill, although it
    >> wouldn't necessarily prevent things from working.

    > I would say the same (overkill) for the hardware, except for the image/
    > video. I just don't understand the need for the image/video chip. Is
    > this driver assistant for the blind?

    Could be for big-brothering commercial drivers or cops. Having post-
    crash video to prove innocence or to settle quickly if your driver was a
    bad boy would have some value.

    http://www.wescottdesign.com

    Tim Wescott, Dec 19, 2011
  19. Zarakava

    Zarakava Guest

    Yes Tim. You got the requirement right.
    Linnix, I had already followed up on your query.
    Ok. Now the situation is that the client wants to start with a clean slate
    So the choices right from processor to sensors,kernel/OS,Coding platfor
    are open.
    Tim, I read something about real time OS vxWorks. Are you pointing t
    something like that or much lighter than that.
    We are currently in the middle of talking to hardware engineers here wh
    can help us with the proper selection of components.
    Given the requirement any suggestions for
    1. Processor
    2. Sensors
    3. OS

    Also i was looking at the possibility of starting to develop th
    application on a DIY board till the time the actual board prototype i
    ready. Will that be a good idea?

    >On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 12:24:37 -0800, linnix wrote:

    no

    Zarakava, Dec 20, 2011
  20. STUPIDENT::Re: Android vs Qt vs C/C++

    Zarakava wrote:

    > Hi All,
    > I am a mobile application developer

    You are STUPIDENT