Another 7NJL6 Problem

Discussion in 'Chaintech' started by Guts, Jul 5, 2005.

  1. Guts

    Guts Guest

    Hey guys and gals, I’m new here so bear with me please. Anyhow, my
    system specs are as follows

    7NJL6 Mobo
    x2 512 ddr 400 ram strips
    AMD 3000+ cpu
    450w psu
    geforce 6600 256ddr vid card
    WinXP SP2 OS
    Creative 5.1 sound
    (all peripheral drivers are up to date)

    I’ve read through a few of the threads here about this mobo and I’m at
    the point where I’m out of solutions :? Basically my system runs
    fine when I run windows and basic programs (word, iexplorer) Whenever
    I run certain games the computer either hardlocks, reboots, or gives
    me a BSOD.

    I’ve swapped out the psu, done memory checks, tried multiple video
    cards, I’ve opened up the case and had 2 tabletop fans on it too. I’m
    pretty sure its not a heat issue, the memory is new and has been
    scanned (comes up clean). The other peripherals were all used in my
    other box and work fine (sound card, vid card, HDs, DvD drive)

    I’ve done all the standard tests: Reinstalled windows, scan disk,
    defragged, checked for viruses, checked for spyware. All scans come
    back clean.

    Anyways, I set windows to not restart upon fatal errors so I could get
    the error message. It comes up as 0x0000008e. I’ve read a few things
    on this. A few articles said it was a power supply issue, another
    said it was the nforce chipset the board uses. *Shrug* I’m at a loss
    folks. Any help would be appreciated.

    EDIT: I forgot to add my BIOS setting are all set on optimal (stable)
    Nothing is overclocked and all shadowing/caching options are switched
    off.

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Chaintech-7NJL6-Problem-ftopict58449.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=295618
    Guts, Jul 5, 2005

  2. Guts

    uddarts Guest

    "Guts" wrote:
    > Hey guys and gals, I'm new here so bear with me please.
    > Anyhow, my system specs are as follows
    >
    > 7NJL6 Mobo
    > x2 512 ddr 400 ram strips
    > AMD 3000+ cpu
    > 450w psu
    > geforce 6600 256ddr vid card
    > WinXP SP2 OS
    > Creative 5.1 sound
    > (all peripheral drivers are up to date)
    >
    > I've read through a few of the threads here about this mobo
    > and I'm at the point where I'm out of solutions :? Basically
    > my system runs fine when I run windows and basic programs
    > (word, iexplorer) Whenever I run certain games the computer
    > either hardlocks, reboots, or gives me a BSOD.
    >
    > I've swapped out the psu, done memory checks, tried multiple
    > video cards, I've opened up the case and had 2 tabletop fans
    > on it too. I'm pretty sure its not a heat issue, the memory
    > is new and has been scanned (comes up clean). The other
    > peripherals were all used in my other box and work fine (sound
    > card, vid card, HDs, DvD drive)
    >
    > I've done all the standard tests: Reinstalled windows, scan
    > disk, defragged, checked for viruses, checked for spyware.
    > All scans come back clean.
    >
    > Anyways, I set windows to [b:bc388a0099]not[/b:bc388a0099]
    > restart upon fatal errors so I could get the error message.
    > It comes up as 0x0000008e. I've read a few things on this. A
    > few articles said it was a power supply issue, another said it
    > was the nforce chipset the board uses. *Shrug* I'm at a loss
    > folks. Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > EDIT: I forgot to add my BIOS setting are all set on optimal
    > (stable) Nothing is overclocked and all shadowing/caching
    > options are switched off.

    we need a head banger icon don’t we?

    do you have your mem running 166 to match the cpu? have you tried 1
    stick at a time? are the 2 stick matched or at least the same timing
    specs?

    what cpu cooler are you using?

    have you tried running prime95?

    http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

    if you can get thru 5 or 6 hours of prime95, it’s probably a driver
    issue.

    ud
    uddarts, Jul 6, 2005

  3. Guts

    Guts Guest

    Re: Re: Another 7NJL6 Problem

    "uddarts" wrote:
    > we need a head banger icon don't we?
    >
    > do you have your mem running 166 to match the cpu? have you
    > tried 1 stick at a time? are the 2 stick matched or at least
    > the same timing specs?
    >
    > what cpu cooler are you using?
    >
    > have you tried running prime95?
    >
    > http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm
    >
    > if you can get thru 5 or 6 hours of prime95, it's probably a
    > driver issue.
    >

    > ud

    Well I replaced the heatsink yesterday. I was using an aftermarket
    one, I think its called Ultra or something. Its claim to fame is a
    copper bottom. Anyhow, something was bugging me yesterday about the
    heatsink. So I popped it off and checked the thermal compound...sure
    thing...a chunk of it got smudged off when I set the heatsink in.
    (Yah I know, noob PC builder mistake :cry: ) I grabbed another
    heatsink, replaced the goo and it works fine now.

    About the memory frequency: I was running it at 166 but it was
    somewhat unstable. I dropped with down to 133 (which sux) but its
    much more stable now.

    I’ll have to play around with the ram slots. As far as ram timing.
    I’m really not too saavy with that. Might anyone recommend some links
    for me to read up on for ram timing? Thanks again.
    Guts, Jul 7, 2005
  4. Guts

    uddarts Guest

    Re: Re: Another 7NJL6 Problem

    "Guts" wrote:
    > Well I replaced the heatsink yesterday. I was using an
    > aftermarket one, I think its called Ultra or something. Its
    > claim to fame is a copper bottom. Anyhow, something was
    > bugging me yesterday about the heatsink. So I popped it off
    > and checked the thermal compound...sure thing...a chunk of it
    > got smudged off when I set the heatsink in. (Yah I know, noob
    > PC builder mistake :cry: ) I grabbed another heatsink,
    > replaced the goo and it works fine now.
    >
    > About the memory frequency: I was running it at 166 but it
    > was somewhat unstable. I dropped with down to 133 (which sux)
    > but its much more stable now.
    >
    > I'll have to play around with the ram slots. As far as ram
    > timing. I'm really not too saavy with that. Might anyone
    > recommend some links for me to read up on for ram timing?
    > Thanks again.

    first, as your probably planning, hit your optimal setting and save.
    see if you still have the lockups. you want to at least run 1:1
    cpu:ram.

    http://www.cpuid.org/cpuz.php

    will give you the memory timings that the board gives you with
    optimal. find the timing the manufacture rated your ram. you can set
    that later. you don’t have any bios setting to raise voltages to the
    cpu or the ram as far as i know. you are going to be limited on what
    you can do. there should be a setting in the bios (normal, fast, ultra
    & turbo).

    stable is your first goal.

    ud
    uddarts, Jul 7, 2005