    Can the P4PE run the 800 FSB CPUs?
    Do they sinply run at 533 FSB?

    Many thanks

    Musashi, Jun 9, 2005

  2. Musashi

    DaveW Guest

    The P4PE cannot use the 800 MHz FSB processors.

    --
    DaveW

    DaveW, Jun 9, 2005

  3. Musashi

    RBM Guest

    Go to the Asus CPU support for the P4PE -
    http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P4PE
    There it will show you all the CPU's you can use for that board including
    some 800 FSB, which have limitations

    RBM, Jun 10, 2005
  4. Musashi

    Paul Guest

    In article <DR4qe.12929$>, "RBM" <rbm2(remove
    this)@optonline.net> wrote:

    > Go to the Asus CPU support for the P4PE -
    > http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P4PE
    > There it will show you all the CPU's you can use for that board including
    > some 800 FSB, which have limitations

    The link on that page is broken. To find out the limitations of
    running FSB800 Northwood processors on the P4PE, go here:

    http://www.asus.com/products/mb/fsb800.htm

    To use a FSB800 0.13 micron processor:

    1) Upgrade the BIOS to 1006 or later revision, before installing
    the new processor.
    2) When running at FSB800, you are limited to one stick of DDR400
    memory. That is because the chipset runs synchronous, and clocks
    the processor and memory with the same clock speed. The best
    you could do, is to find a 1GB DDR400 DIMM, with CAS2 64Mx8
    memory chips on it. If you add more sticks of memory than a
    single DIMM, you will see memory errors. Test with memtest86+
    from memtest.org .

    The typical user experience with this idea, is that the motherboard
    barely works at FSB800/DDR400. The memory will not go more than a
    few MHz faster than the DDR400 rate. In some cases, you have to
    adjust the clock to give slightly less than FSB800, to get stability.
    The Asus cpusupport page shows 3.2Ghz processors as being the top
    speed, which will give you a slight improvement over your 2.8Ghz
    processor. Running the memory a bit faster will help about 5%.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Jun 11, 2005
  5. Musashi

    Musashi Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > In article <DR4qe.12929$>, "RBM" <rbm2(remove
    > this)@optonline.net> wrote:
    >
    > > Go to the Asus CPU support for the P4PE -

    http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P4PE
    > > There it will show you all the CPU's you can use for that board

    including
    > > some 800 FSB, which have limitations

    > The link on that page is broken. To find out the limitations of
    > running FSB800 Northwood processors on the P4PE, go here:
    >
    > http://www.asus.com/products/mb/fsb800.htm
    >
    > To use a FSB800 0.13 micron processor:
    >
    > 1) Upgrade the BIOS to 1006 or later revision, before installing
    > the new processor.
    > 2) When running at FSB800, you are limited to one stick of DDR400
    > memory. That is because the chipset runs synchronous, and clocks
    > the processor and memory with the same clock speed. The best
    > you could do, is to find a 1GB DDR400 DIMM, with CAS2 64Mx8
    > memory chips on it. If you add more sticks of memory than a
    > single DIMM, you will see memory errors. Test with memtest86+
    > from memtest.org .
    >
    > The typical user experience with this idea, is that the motherboard
    > barely works at FSB800/DDR400. The memory will not go more than a
    > few MHz faster than the DDR400 rate. In some cases, you have to
    > adjust the clock to give slightly less than FSB800, to get stability.
    > The Asus cpusupport page shows 3.2Ghz processors as being the top
    > speed, which will give you a slight improvement over your 2.8Ghz
    > processor. Running the memory a bit faster will help about 5%.
    >
    > HTH,
    > Paul
    >
    > > "Musashi" <> wrote in message
    > > >I have one PC with an ASUS P4PE using a 2.8 GHz
    > > > 533 FSB 478 CPU.
    > > > Looking around the net I do not see the 3.0GHz
    > > > 533 FSB CPUs available anymore.
    > > > Can the P4PE run the 800 FSB CPUs?
    > > > Do they sinply run at 533 FSB?
    > > >
    > > > Many thanks

    Thanks Paul and all who replied.
    Looks like either I luck out and find 3.0 533fb CPU or I ought to
    do the motherboard switch thing.

    Musashi, Jun 13, 2005