Another leaking cap problem?

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Joe, Oct 25, 2005.

  1. Joe

    Joe Guest

    I have a Gigabyte GA-6VELM Socket 370 motherboard. My computer has
    started to lock up on me recently. I popped the case, and found 3
    capacitors leaking some goo from the top. These 3 capacitors are right
    next to the processor. When the case is upright, the heat from the CPU
    rises right up into the caps. And to top it off, they sit between the
    CPU and the power supply.

    I don't know who to blame for this fiasco? Gigabyte for using sub-par
    capacitors or for their poor placement on the motherboard? This was one
    of those cheap Microtel computers they sell on Walmart.com. It has a
    cool running VIA C3 800 Mhz processor that was never overclocked. I
    guess I shouldn't expect too much for $200 bucks, but it's only a
    2-year-old motherboard. It's not worth the cost, time, or effort to
    replace the caps with motherboards so cheap nowadays.

    My worry is that this is a common problem with Gigabyte motherboards.
    Once you have a problem with a particular brand, you tend to shy away
    from them in the future. I don't want to have this problem again! Is
    this a pervasive problem with Gigabyte motherboards? If this topic has
    been covered extensively in the past, my apologies. My intention is
    also to alert people that this is still a problem.

    Joe, Oct 25, 2005

  2. Joe

    Muttley Guest

    "Joe" <> wrote in message
    >I have a Gigabyte GA-6VELM Socket 370 motherboard. My computer has
    > started to lock up on me recently. I popped the case, and found 3
    > capacitors leaking some goo from the top. These 3 capacitors are right
    > next to the processor. When the case is upright, the heat from the CPU
    > rises right up into the caps. And to top it off, they sit between the
    > CPU and the power supply.
    >
    > I don't know who to blame for this fiasco? Gigabyte for using sub-par
    > capacitors or for their poor placement on the motherboard? This was one
    > of those cheap Microtel computers they sell on Walmart.com. It has a
    > cool running VIA C3 800 Mhz processor that was never overclocked. I
    > guess I shouldn't expect too much for $200 bucks, but it's only a
    > 2-year-old motherboard. It's not worth the cost, time, or effort to
    > replace the caps with motherboards so cheap nowadays.
    >
    > My worry is that this is a common problem with Gigabyte motherboards.
    > Once you have a problem with a particular brand, you tend to shy away
    > from them in the future. I don't want to have this problem again! Is
    > this a pervasive problem with Gigabyte motherboards? If this topic has
    > been covered extensively in the past, my apologies. My intention is
    > also to alert people that this is still a problem.

    Hi,

    Visit www.badcaps.net for info about this problem.
    It is not a Gigabyte specific problem.
    Many brands of motherboards have been affected.

    Cheers,

    John S.

    Muttley, Oct 25, 2005

  3. Joe

    NewMan Guest

    I had an MSI mobo that had this problem. Fortunately, I am an
    Electronics Technologist by training, and the company I work for has
    an in-house production facility that does all kinds of electronics
    assembly and rework! :)

    I just pulled the required parts from inventory, and flashed up the
    solder rework station. Problem solved in 5 minutes.

    The problems you are seeing are likely related either to one "brand"
    of capacitor, or to one particular "factory" that made OEM capacitors
    and put other peoples "brand name" on them.

    These capacitors would then have been sold to various companies all
    over the world - and likely to more than one motherboard manufacturer.

    By the time that you discover the sub-standard parts, they are out in
    the field installed in computers. This further complicates things.
    Even if the motherboard manufacturer were to issue a recall, how would
    the end-user know - unless they had registered their ownership of the
    board with the manufacturer????

    Most people don't bother getting the "boxes" of the stuff that the
    system intgraters put into their system. So often the only way they
    could get the make, model, and serial number of the mobo would be to
    tear the system down - something that most people will not do.

    Many times, the capacitors are good enough to get past the warranty
    period. So then what? If you don't know what to do, what to look for,
    how to repair, or the name of a good shop.... new computer. This is
    what I call the North American Auto Maker way of building electronics.
    You make them "good enough" that they fail shortly after the warranty
    - thus forcing people to buy / consume - and you make money of their
    backs! :(

    Don't blame giga-byte for this one. You can bet that the suspect
    parts, once discovered, were quaranteened, and then then it is likely
    the offending supplier was removed from the approved vendor list.

    hth

    NewMan, Oct 26, 2005