Another PB riser card on eBay

Discussion in 'Packard Bell' started by Robert E. Watts, Jan 1, 2008.

  1. Robert E. Watts, Jan 1, 2008

  2. Robert E. Watts

    mc Guest

    mc, Jan 1, 2008

  3. Robert E. Watts, Jan 2, 2008
  4. Upgrade your motherboard

    This one supports up to Pentium 233MMX CPU's, and has two USB ports. No
    picture, but he mentions RCA video outputs, and L2 cache. 685 board.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/Socket-7-Packar...oryZ4615QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    This one has RCA video outputs. Interesting board.... does not support MMX
    or USB however. Picture shows L2 cache.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/Socket-7-Packar...goryZ162QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    bob

    --
    boBWatts®©
    EartH
    Robert E. Watts, Jan 2, 2008
  5. Robert E. Watts

    Guest

    Re: Upgrade your motherboard

    Hi

    > http://cgi.ebay.com/Socket-7-Packard-Bell-MMX-Motherboard-MBI-685-USB...
    >
    > This one has RCA video outputs. Interesting board.... does not support MMX
    > or USB however. Picture shows L2 cache.

    Yes this board does support MMXn technology. It runs max at 233
    mhz. This board, if it has the RCA, also has an S-video port. This
    permitted video conferencing back in the day with the Packard Bell Top
    Sight video camera. The camera had a 110 v power supply ....(it was
    stepped own to like 15 v or so) From the vid camera came an RCA
    plug. Then there was the optional PBTV-5 card. It had a port in which
    a 6pin to 7 pin mini din wire plugged into. This then plugged into
    the S-video port on the motherboard. If it has the two USB, then it
    also has the optional 2 megs of video ram. This would be the top of
    the line 68x motherboard. I have two. I have never seen others.

    Bill
    , Jan 2, 2008
  6. MMX

    Hi Bill

    Bill, I was referring to the bottom board that I listed. If you look at the
    picture, there is not a voltage regulator next to the CPU socket. It can't
    support a dual voltage (MMX) CPU.

    Now you *can* install an overdrive MMX CPU, but the board can't support one
    natively.

    bob

    Robert E. Watts, Jan 2, 2008
  7. Robert E. Watts

    mc Guest

    Re: Upgrade your motherboard

    Ok , I'm lost here...what do these boards fit in (towers,desktops)??
    mc
    mc, Jan 2, 2008
  8. Re: Upgrade your motherboard

    Hi mc !

    "mc" <> wrote in message
    > Ok , I'm lost here...what do these boards fit in (towers,desktops)??
    > mc

    Usually both. The riser card would be different for the case.
    But the boards are usually interchangeable. To the best of my knowledge.

    bob
    Robert E. Watts, Jan 2, 2008
  9. Robert E. Watts

    Ben Myers Guest

    Re: Upgrade your motherboard

    Genuine LPX motherboards are almost 100% interchangable. It all depends on the
    structure of the chassis at the back. If the chassis has holes for any or all
    of keyboard, mouse, parallel, serial, audio Ethenet and video, there may be a
    problem fitting a board with a different arrangement of these connectors. Some
    chassis (plural?) have a long rectangular opening at the back, and they expect
    the motherboard to have a matching strip made of thin sheet metal.

    But, for certain, any genuine LPX motherboard is an exact match for the mating
    connector of a genuine LPX riser card. There are boards and riser cards that
    are conceptually like LPX, but different electronically and even physically.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 2, 2008
  10. Robert E. Watts

    mc Guest

    Re: Upgrade your motherboard

    Ben
    What about the MMX board, will that fit in a tower?
    mc

    mc, Jan 4, 2008
  11. Robert E. Watts

    Ben Myers Guest

    Re: Upgrade your motherboard

    Not sure. It has a USB port or two? Check the opening(s) at the back of the
    tower as I stated earlier. If the tower has a long rectangular opening, then
    you also need the sheet metal strip that matches the motherboards openings to
    cover the rectangular hole. If the tower has a series of holes punched in the
    chassis for the various connectors, then the holes need to match up with the
    connectors on the motherboard. If not, either the board won't fit, or you face
    some ugly work with a Dremel tool, nibbling tool, and/or a grinding wheel to
    make the chassis fit the motherboard. Not how I like to spend my time.

    PB used different chassis types in various models, so it is impossible for me to
    remember enough to give a 100% accurate answer.

    I never tabulated information about the various LPX cases used by manufacturers,
    only a pretty complete list of the LPX motherboards ever made, AFAIK... Ben
    Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 4, 2008