    to 3GHz (which seems easily achievable on air cooling). PC is multi-use,
    everything from gaming to encoding and everyday stuff. Operating system
    would be Vista HP or Ultimate, haven't decided yet. Thoughts appreciated.

    dekhelia, Oct 10, 2007

  2. dekhelia

    Paul Guest

    dekhelia wrote:
    > Currently running Athlon x2 3800 on Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe, o/c to 2.4GHz
    > on stock cooler. Thinking of moving to Q6600 with Asus P5K series
    > board, o/c to 3GHz (which seems easily achievable on air cooling). PC
    > is multi-use, everything from gaming to encoding and everyday stuff.
    > Operating system would be Vista HP or Ultimate, haven't decided yet.
    > Thoughts appreciated.

    497 reviews fot the Q6600 here.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017

    140 reviews for the E6850.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16819115028

    So looks like the Q6600 is quite popular. Make sure to get a G0 stepping,
    from a source known to ship them.

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 10, 2007

  3. dekhelia

    Ed M. Guest

    "dekhelia" <we're the left side> wrote in message
    > Currently running Athlon x2 3800 on Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe, o/c to 2.4GHz on
    > stock cooler. Thinking of moving to Q6600 with Asus P5K series board, o/c
    > to 3GHz (which seems easily achievable on air cooling). PC is multi-use,
    > everything from gaming to encoding and everyday stuff. Operating system
    > would be Vista HP or Ultimate, haven't decided yet. Thoughts appreciated.

    3.0Ghz 'should' be easy with the G0 Q6600. Mine goes to 3.35Ghz with Vcore
    on 'Auto' with an Asus Striker Extreme 680i board. I would NOT get Vista at
    this point. I have a copy of Vista Ultimate here and have tried it twice on
    it's own drive and have removed it twice.......:). I am using XP Pro and
    will stay with it until the Vista SP1 gets here. It wasn't just one major
    issue with Vista it was a great many small issues that just about drove me
    nuts. This system was built with Vista in mind and for the first time in
    ages I got everything new from the printer to the monitor and everything in
    between. XP just works. Vista is not ready yet.

    Ed

    Ed M., Oct 10, 2007
  4. dekhelia

    dekhelia Guest

    Thanks guys. Did buy a Q6600 but didn't get the 'right' stepping. Mine is
    B3, I believe. Ah well - let's see what we get. Will report back.

    dekhelia, Oct 10, 2007
  5. dekhelia

    > Thanks guys. Did buy a Q6600 but didn't get the 'right' stepping. Mine is
    > B3, I believe. Ah well - let's see what we get. Will report back.

    Yea.........keep up posted. I have no experience with that stepping......You
    still could get a decent OC'er.

    Ed

    Ed M., Oct 11, 2007
  6. dekhelia

    dekhelia Guest

    OK. Installed processor and booted up at 9x333=3GHz (instead of
    9x266=2.40GHz), on default voltage (1.3V, I think). Not bad. Not using
    stock cooler, have a Thermaltake BigTyp cooler (this thing is *huge*), and
    stressing all four cores using two instances of Orthos gives me 57C max
    temp. Idle is 33C. Not bad at all. I'll run it in for a few weeks, see
    how it goes, and report back.

    dekhelia, Oct 14, 2007
  7. dekhelia

    dekhelia Guest

    Re: Another upgrade advice Q ... update

    OK. Running two instances of Orthos revealed instability over 12hrs, so
    increased vCore to 1.3125V. All stable in Orthos x 2 / 24hrs, and (possibly
    more importantly, real world) with the kids tanking the high-end games ...
    still, we'll see. Ambient temp in this part of the world is pretty low at
    the mo, ~18C, so the cooling system hasn't really been tested.

    Watch this space, I guess.

    dekhelia, Oct 19, 2007