Antec Power Supplies Failing

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Jim Garrison, Mar 21, 2007.

  1. Jim Garrison

    Jim Garrison Guest

    I have had THREE (3) Antec power supplies fail in the last 9 months.

    The first failure was August 2006, and was a PS that came with an
    Antec Sonata case originally purchased in 2005 (I believe it was
    a 400W PS). I replaced it with an Antec SP-450.

    In November 06 I bought a second case, an Antec Sonata-II for a new
    system. This system came with an SP-450, and the power supply
    failed in February 07. I couldn't find the receipt so Antec
    wouldn't replace it under warranty. I replaced it with a different
    brand PS.

    Then last week the replacement SP-450 that I purchased in August 06
    started failing randomly. It would power up but within 5-10 minutes
    the system would stop responding and lose monitor signal (but not
    hard disk power). Replacing the PS with a Thermaltake 430W cured
    that problem.

    I do have the receipt for the replacement SP-450 I bought in August
    06 so I'm going to try to get Antec to replace it. We'll see what
    happens.

    I've had one or more PCs since 1987, and in the 19 years prior to
    August 2006 have seen exactly ONE power supply go bad (it was a
    spectacular *BANG* and puff of smoke :) Three bad Antec power
    supplies seem to indicate a trend.

    Anybody else having problems with Antec?

    --
    Jim Garrison ()
    PGP Keys at http://www.jhmg.net RSA 0x04B73B7F DH 0x70738D88

    Jim Garrison, Mar 21, 2007

  2. Jim Garrison

    Gary Guest

    On 20-Mar-2007, Jim Garrison <> wrote:

    > I have had THREE (3) Antec power supplies fail in the last 9 months.
    >
    > The first failure was August 2006, and was a PS that came with an
    > Antec Sonata case originally purchased in 2005 (I believe it was
    > a 400W PS). I replaced it with an Antec SP-450.
    >
    > In November 06 I bought a second case, an Antec Sonata-II for a new
    > system. This system came with an SP-450, and the power supply
    > failed in February 07. I couldn't find the receipt so Antec
    > wouldn't replace it under warranty. I replaced it with a different
    > brand PS.
    >
    > Then last week the replacement SP-450 that I purchased in August 06
    > started failing randomly. It would power up but within 5-10 minutes
    > the system would stop responding and lose monitor signal (but not
    > hard disk power). Replacing the PS with a Thermaltake 430W cured
    > that problem.
    >
    > I do have the receipt for the replacement SP-450 I bought in August
    > 06 so I'm going to try to get Antec to replace it. We'll see what
    > happens.
    >
    > I've had one or more PCs since 1987, and in the 19 years prior to
    > August 2006 have seen exactly ONE power supply go bad (it was a
    > spectacular *BANG* and puff of smoke :) Three bad Antec power
    > supplies seem to indicate a trend.
    >
    > Anybody else having problems with Antec?
    >
    > --
    > Jim Garrison ()
    > PGP Keys at http://www.jhmg.net RSA 0x04B73B7F DH 0x70738D88

    http://www.pcpowercooling.com/home/ I have been buying these since 1998 and
    have not had one fail yet. Not cheap.

    Gary, Mar 21, 2007

  3. Gary wrote:

    > http://www.pcpowercooling.com/home/ I have been buying these since 1998 and
    > have not had one fail yet. Not cheap.

    Why not just buy two Seasonics for the same price or less? Very good
    quality, and they use the same Teapo brand capacitors found in most
    PCP&Cs.

    larry moe 'n curly, Mar 22, 2007
  4. Jim Garrison

    Gary Guest

    On 21-Mar-2007, "larry moe 'n curly" <> wrote:

    > Why not just buy two Seasonics for the same price or less? Very good
    > quality, and they use the same Teapo brand capacitors found in most
    > PCP&Cs.

    I tried them and had two fail.

    Gary, Mar 22, 2007