    is sent most of the time.

    Anyone aware of a decent USB to serial adapter I can use on a laptop
    which works reliably with a Sun workstation? If so, please post make/model.

    Dave, Mar 21, 2008

  2. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Dave wrote:
    > I'd like to control a Sun from a laptop which has no serial port. I
    > bought one of these USB-> Serial things from Dabs which is made by
    > "Sweex". But it is not reliable on the Sun. It seems to hang if a break
    > is sent most of the time.
    >
    > Anyone aware of a decent USB to serial adapter I can use on a laptop
    > which works reliably with a Sun workstation? If so, please post make/model.

    PS, I should have added I need Vista drivers. OR, since my laptop runs
    Solaris 10 too, are there any USB->Serial adapters with Solaris drivers?

    Dave, Mar 21, 2008

  3. Dave <> writes:

    >PS, I should have added I need Vista drivers. OR, since my laptop runs
    >Solaris 10 too, are there any USB->Serial adapters with Solaris drivers?

    usbser_edge usbser_edge (7d) - Digi Edgeport USB to serial converter driver
    usbsksp usbsksp (7d) - Keyspan USB to serial converter driver
    usbsprl usbsprl (7d) - Prolific PL2303 USB to serial converter driver

    (These work in Solaris nevada which generally is the better
    choice for laptops anyway)

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.

    Casper H.S. Dik, Mar 21, 2008
  4. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Casper H.S. Dik wrote:
    > Dave <> writes:
    >
    >> PS, I should have added I need Vista drivers. OR, since my laptop runs
    >> Solaris 10 too, are there any USB->Serial adapters with Solaris drivers?

    > usbser_edge usbser_edge (7d) - Digi Edgeport USB to serial converter driver
    > usbsksp usbsksp (7d) - Keyspan USB to serial converter driver
    > usbsprl usbsprl (7d) - Prolific PL2303 USB to serial converter driver
    >
    > (These work in Solaris nevada which generally is the better
    > choice for laptops anyway)
    >
    > Casper

    Do you know if any of the above have drivers which work well in Vista
    for controlling Suns? Or Solaris for controlling Suns?

    From what I gather, some of these things work ok for things like
    syncing PDAs, but are less relieable for more "industrial" usage. I'm
    not sure where Suns fit in that lot.

    I guess I would hope someone writing a Solaris driver would test it on a
    Sun serial console, but I don't know that.

    Theres a review on Amazon of one from Startech which suggests it is ok
    for programming a wide range of industrial devices, which might give me
    some hope it will work on a Sun workstation, but I dont know.

    Dave, Mar 21, 2008
  5. Dave <> writes:
    >Casper H.S. Dik wrote:
    >> Dave <> writes:
    >>
    >>> PS, I should have added I need Vista drivers. OR, since my laptop runs
    >>> Solaris 10 too, are there any USB->Serial adapters with Solaris drivers?

    >> usbser_edge usbser_edge (7d) - Digi Edgeport USB to serial converter driver
    >> usbsksp usbsksp (7d) - Keyspan USB to serial converter driver
    >> usbsprl usbsprl (7d) - Prolific PL2303 USB to serial converter driver
    >>
    >> (These work in Solaris nevada which generally is the better
    >> choice for laptops anyway)
    >>
    >> Casper

    >Do you know if any of the above have drivers which work well in Vista
    >for controlling Suns? Or Solaris for controlling Suns?

    > From what I gather, some of these things work ok for things like
    >syncing PDAs, but are less relieable for more "industrial" usage. I'm
    >not sure where Suns fit in that lot.

    I don't use them under Solaris, but Keyspan has always been super
    reliable for me for doing anything under a variety of other OSs.
    I can drive anything in windows or OSX that I need to with them.

    I found several bugs in the prolific drivers that Prolific provides on
    windows/OSX.. :( (This is what many of the cheaper serial dongel brands
    are anyway), so thats probably one to stay away from, even if they are
    everywhere and really cheap.

    Doug McIntyre, Mar 21, 2008
  6. Dave

    Malcolm Guest

    On 21 Mar 2008 13:49:57 GMT
    Doug McIntyre <> wrote:

    > Dave <> writes:
    > >Casper H.S. Dik wrote:

    > >> usbser_edge usbser_edge (7d) - Digi Edgeport USB to serial
    > >> converter driver usbsksp usbsksp (7d) - Keyspan USB to
    > >> serial converter driver usbsprl usbsprl (7d) - Prolific
    > >> PL2303 USB to serial converter driver
    > >>
    > >> (These work in Solaris nevada which generally is the better
    > >> choice for laptops anyway)
    > >>
    > >> Casper

    > >Do you know if any of the above have drivers which work well in
    > >Vista for controlling Suns? Or Solaris for controlling Suns?

    > > From what I gather, some of these things work ok for things like
    > >syncing PDAs, but are less relieable for more "industrial" usage.
    > >I'm not sure where Suns fit in that lot.

    > I don't use them under Solaris, but Keyspan has always been super
    > reliable for me for doing anything under a variety of other OSs.
    > I can drive anything in windows or OSX that I need to with them.
    >
    > I found several bugs in the prolific drivers that Prolific provides on
    > windows/OSX.. :( (This is what many of the cheaper serial dongel
    > brands are anyway), so thats probably one to stay away from, even if
    > they are everywhere and really cheap.

    Hi
    Here is an article on the Keyspan and solaris
    http://www.sun.com/io_technologies/vendor/faq_usa_19hs_usb_to_serial_device.html

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10.0 SP1 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.54-0.2.5-smp

    Malcolm, Mar 21, 2008
  7. Dave <> wrote:
    > I'd like to control a Sun from a laptop which has no serial port. I
    > bought one of these USB-> Serial things from Dabs which is made by
    > "Sweex". But it is not reliable on the Sun. It seems to hang if a break
    > is sent most of the time.
    >
    > Anyone aware of a decent USB to serial adapter I can use on a laptop
    > which works reliably with a Sun workstation? If so, please post make/model.

    the only reliable usb to serial dongle I've come across is the digi
    edgeport/1.

    It's not cheap, but again, it's the only one that works well I've ever
    come across.

    Cydrome Leader, Mar 21, 2008
  8. Dave <> writes:

    >Casper H.S. Dik wrote:
    >> Dave <> writes:
    >>
    >>> PS, I should have added I need Vista drivers. OR, since my laptop runs
    >>> Solaris 10 too, are there any USB->Serial adapters with Solaris drivers?

    >> usbser_edge usbser_edge (7d) - Digi Edgeport USB to serial converter driver
    >> usbsksp usbsksp (7d) - Keyspan USB to serial converter driver
    >> usbsprl usbsprl (7d) - Prolific PL2303 USB to serial converter driver
    >>
    >> (These work in Solaris nevada which generally is the better
    >> choice for laptops anyway)
    >>
    >> Casper

    >Do you know if any of the above have drivers which work well in Vista
    >for controlling Suns? Or Solaris for controlling Suns?

    I've tested the prolific and I'm sure that testing them as serial
    devices for Suns is one of the more important tasks.

    I don't use Vista so I can't comment on what drivers are
    available there.

    >I guess I would hope someone writing a Solaris driver would test it on a
    >Sun serial console, but I don't know that.

    It's what our support folks use.

    Casper H.S. Dik, Mar 21, 2008