    other issues like screen resolution, etc. Or, is the tablet not the best
    platform for an applications developer?

    Troy

    Troy Murphy, Oct 17, 2003

  2. Troy Murphy

    Chris H. Guest

    Absolutely. You should take a look at the
    microsoft.public.windows.tabletpc.developer newsgroup and also the
    http://www.tabletpcdeveloper.com/ web site.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    "Troy Murphy" <> wrote in message
    > I am ready to retire my Dell notebook and look into the tablets. I am
    > curious if there are any developers using Visual Studio .NET or Visual
    > FoxPro thare are using a tablet as their primary development platform. I

    am
    > fairly certain that a convertable form factor would be best, but what

    about

    Chris H., Oct 17, 2003

  3. Troy Murphy

    Scott Canham Guest

    I'm using a Toshiba 3500 and VS.NET 2003 with no complaints. If it wasn't
    for the auto-hide feature of the toolbox/solution explorer/etc... my opinion
    would be different :)

    Scott Canham
    MVP - Academic

    Scott Canham, Oct 17, 2003
  4. Troy Murphy

    David Guest Guest

    Troy Murphy wrote:
    > I am ready to retire my Dell notebook and look into the tablets. I am
    > curious if there are any developers using Visual Studio .NET or Visual
    > FoxPro thare are using a tablet as their primary development platform. I am
    > fairly certain that a convertable form factor would be best, but what about
    > other issues like screen resolution, etc. Or, is the tablet not the best
    > platform for an applications developer?
    >
    > Troy

    I use Delphi and Nexusdb and do all my development on a Motion 1300
    tablet. I rarely use a keyboard. I find programming with the stylus very
    comfortable. A lot of it is drag and drop or code completion. It is very
    nice being able to sit in a comfortable chair on the porch and program.

    David Guest, Oct 17, 2003
  5. Troy Murphy

    Reiter Peter Guest

    hi

    i use a acer c111 and it's absolutely great(scott is right, without the auto
    hidefeature it would ********)
    and the 10.4" aren't too small for me, i'm mor enear the screen before but
    using the digitizer instead of a mouse is just great

    peter

    Reiter Peter, Oct 19, 2003
  6. No. The Tablet is not the best platform for an application developer and
    anyone that would tell you otherwise is a little too enthusiastic about
    their Tablet PC.

    Now I'm not saying you can't develop on a Tablet PC. I do frequently. I have
    an Acer C110. The most annoying problem is not the screen size or processing
    power... it's the keyboard layout! The PageUp/PageDown are mixed in with the
    Home/End keys. I prefer to develop on my big 21" crt monitor on my powerful
    desktop though.

    If you want an ideal mobile development platform, look for a high power,
    large laptop. However, if you take notes frequently and you are interested
    in using the Tablet PC for things other than development, then you may love
    a Tablet PC. I love mine. But the Tablet concept offers absolutely no
    benefit for developers other than a great platform to develop for.

    Bottom line, don't get a Tablet PC just cause it's the latest, greatest
    thing if you only wanna use it for development. If you are gonna use it for
    personal use and note taking, or if you intend to target the Tablet PC
    platform then you'll probably love it. Just make sure to get a centrino.

    --
    J. Tennyson Einstein
    Einstein Technologies

    Add ink input to Outlook with Tablet Enhancements for Outlook! Only $19.99!
    http://www.einsteinware.com

    J. Tennyson Einstein, Oct 21, 2003
  7. Troy Murphy

    Troy Murphy Guest

    Wouldn't you need, or at least want, a tablet pc if you were developing a
    tablet pc application? What about something like that new Acer which looks
    more like a laptop than a tablet, but does support inking features? Could
    you event develop and test a tablet pc application on anything other than a
    tablet? Once you dock this thing, wouldn't you get the same features as a
    desktop? Sorry, I know little about these.

    Troy

    Troy Murphy, Oct 21, 2003
  8. Troy Murphy

    Chris H. Guest

    That would be ideal, Troy, but everything you see on a Tablet PC was
    developed for the most part on a desktop. :cool: You might be interested in
    checking out the http://www.tabletpcdeveloper.com/ web site. Developers
    also hang out in the microsoft.public.tabletpc.developer newsgroup.

    BTW - The regular laptops with digital screens which run Tablet PC software
    are a "clam shell" version. Personally, I prefer the smaller form factor,
    but those who wish to have the advantages of the Tablet on a laptop
    configuration will be able to do so.

    Chris H., Oct 21, 2003
  9. I agree in regard to the clam shell devices.

    I don't think that they should really be called Tablet PC's. Writing on a
    laptop screen is not likely to be useful for taking notes or drawing. Only
    normal "mouse-type" interaction with the pen or quick markups. I've tried to
    use the pen on my C110 in laptop mode and it's pretty much useless.

    Back to Troy:

    As for testing tablet apps on a desktop... You don't get handwriting
    recognition on a desktop but the ink support is available. While you may
    find a really good development machine in one of the clamshells, consider
    the cost. If it's going to cost you $1000 more for a laptop just because you
    can use the pen on the screen, you have to decide if it is worth it.
    However, if you are a developer looking to create Tablet PC applications
    then I think you would want to get a tablet. But get one that can convert to
    portrait mode because this is how a majority of the Tablet PC users are
    going to use your software.

    J.T.

    J. Tennyson Einstein, Oct 22, 2003
  10. I hope you're not paid by the hour. :)

    J. Tennyson Einstein, Oct 22, 2003
  11. Troy Murphy

    ECM Guest

    "J. Tennyson Einstein" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I agree in regard to the clam shell devices.
    >
    > I don't think that they should really be called Tablet PC's. Writing on a
    > laptop screen is not likely to be useful for taking notes or drawing. Only
    > normal "mouse-type" interaction with the pen or quick markups. I've tried to
    > use the pen on my C110 in laptop mode and it's pretty much useless.
    >
    > Back to Troy:
    > snip!

    IMHO, I disagree - the Fujitsu and Toshiba "clamshells" I've tested
    have been marvelous as both laptops AND Tablet PC's. I picked the
    Fujitsu clamshell over their tablet "sans keyboard" for several
    reasons.

    First, a bigger screen - 10.4 vs 12.1".... that's a lot of real
    estate! Also, faster processor, longer battery life, better WiFi (11g
    instead of 11b), more memory options, tougher for portability (when
    closed), and 25% lower price. When it's open to the tablet position,
    it feels and works just like the ST4000 series, except a bit bigger.
    The downside is that it's a bit heavier - by about 1 pound.

    Second, as I suspected, handwriting recognition is NOT the be-all and
    end-all - there are a lot of tasks (entering this long reply, for
    example) that are considerably faster and easier with a keyboard than
    with handwriting recognition. Perhaps this will change as I "train"
    the recognition dictionary, but I doubt it - ever since high school
    typing has been much faster than writing for me. Writing legibly at
    even 60WPM is a chore - try it sometime.

    And as for using the pen in laptop mode - there's really no question
    that the pen acts as an excellent mouse - far superior to a touchpad
    or, god forbid, a keyboard "nub". However, you need to support the
    screen somehow in order to actually write on it - it is a problem.
    Hopefully, the next iteration of Tablet PC (Tablet PC 2004?) and
    Tablet PC hardware will address this issue.

    We did test the Fujitsu ST4000 series tablet, and we were completely
    underwhelmed..... I suspect that the "tablet" style Tablet PC is going
    to be a specialty item in a year or two, while the Tablet PC superset
    will be incorporated into a "Laptop PC" Windows edition for the
    general consumer....

    Anyways, just my opinion.... from a Tablet PC consumer's point of
    view, rather than a developer.

    Peace!
    ECM

    ECM, Oct 22, 2003
  12. Troy Murphy

    ECM Guest

    "Troy Murphy" <> wrote in message news:<#>...
    > Wouldn't you need, or at least want, a tablet pc if you were developing a
    > tablet pc application? What about something like that new Acer which looks
    > more like a laptop than a tablet, but does support inking features? Could
    > you event develop and test a tablet pc application on anything other than a
    > tablet? Once you dock this thing, wouldn't you get the same features as a
    > desktop? Sorry, I know little about these.
    >
    > snip!

    A small point we came across while testing several of these devices
    for our office - the OS is HIGHLY hardware specific! That is, it has
    been modified on every tablet platform, because of the different
    hardware solutions that each manufacturer found for the Microsoft
    Tablet PC spec.

    What that meant to us was that something that worked on one tablet
    didn't with the next. The Toshiba 3500, for instance, couldn't use
    handwriting or voice to enter data in our server-based database
    program - it simply didn't work no matter what we tried. The Fujitsu's
    worked fine, without a burp, and without modification....

    Maybe if you're thinking of developing Tablet apps you should consider
    testing on several tablet PC's....

    Peace!
    ECM

    ECM, Oct 22, 2003
  13. Troy Murphy

    Chris H. Guest

    The Windows XP Tablet PC operating system is identical on all Tablets, the
    difference is OEM drivers for the various hardware. I would venture to say
    the Fujitsu was more meticulously prepped, and updated already with the
    software required for Telnet services, available for download from the
    Microsoft web site, and may have had different Services already enabled.

    Chris H., Oct 22, 2003
  14. Troy Murphy

    Troy Murphy Guest

    Thanks for the feedback.
    Of course I want the best of both worlds! I don't like to buy new computers
    too often - mostly because it is a nightmare to recreate my environment each
    time I upgrade. On the same note: I don't mind spending a bit more for
    the most current technology just to prolong the obsolescence. The primary
    goal would be general application development, but there is at least one or
    two tablet applications that I will be developing in the near future. I
    develop mostly in Visual FoxPro and C# (.Net) - both development IDE's
    gobble screen realestate. I would like to develop and test on the same
    machine and demo the application from the development environment as it
    would appear on a true tablet. I am convinced that the convertable form
    factor would certainly be the only reasonable option. I was looking at the
    pictures of the Acer c300 which seems offer this type of environment. The
    weight is certainly a factor, but not at the cost of power and loosing a
    good development platform. I agree that a clam shell design where the
    screen does not flip into a tablet mode would be very utilitarian. I know I
    can't write well with with an extended arm - can't write well in any
    position actually.

    Troy Murphy, Oct 23, 2003
  15. Troy Murphy

    ECM Guest

    Chris:

    Thank you - my point, but much better wording....

    Peace!
    ECM

    ECM, Oct 23, 2003
  16. Troy Murphy