Any Overclockers running on Linux 64

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by Pete, May 19, 2006.

  1. Pete

    Pete Guest

    Hi All:

    Now that I have my system stable. I am thinking of making the transition
    from Windoze to Linux SuSE 10.1. I was curious to hear opinions or horror
    stories from anybody else that has tried swapping systems. I also was
    hoping that there will be as many unix overclocking tools as there are for
    windoze. The reason for the switch is that Linux appears to bench mark at
    twice the speed for floating point calculations as Windoze. Basically, I
    need this box as a number cruncher.

    TIA,

    Pete

    1. Advertising

  2. Conor

    Conor Guest

    In article <Kpabg.40945$>, Pete says...
    > Hi All:
    >
    > Now that I have my system stable. I am thinking of making the transition
    > from Windoze to Linux SuSE 10.1. I was curious to hear opinions or horror
    > stories from anybody else that has tried swapping systems.

    1) It's not Windows...don't use it trying to think stuff works along
    the same lines because it has a taskbar and a "start" button.
    2) Repeat 1).

    Follow the above and all will be OK.

    --
    Conor,

    Same shit, different day.

    1. Advertising

  3. Bill

    Bill Guest

    In article <Kpabg.40945$>,
    says...
    > Hi All:
    >
    > Now that I have my system stable. I am thinking of making the transition
    > from Windoze to Linux SuSE 10.1. I was curious to hear opinions or horror
    > stories from anybody else that has tried swapping systems.

    I'm triple booting between Windoze XP SP2, SUSE 10.0, SUSE 10.1.
    No horror stories from the installation. I used the expert mode to install
    and told it exactly what I wanted as opposed to letting the install program
    sort it out. So far everything is working well.

    > I also was
    > hoping that there will be as many unix overclocking tools as there are for
    > windoze.

    I don't know, I'm not much of a Linux geek. My overclocking is done in the
    bios.

    AMD 64 3500+ Winchester OC from 2.2 GHz to 2.4 GHz.
    Abit AV8 Deluxe MB.

    > The reason for the switch is that Linux appears to bench mark at
    > twice the speed for floating point calculations as Windoze. Basically, I
    > need this box as a number cruncher.
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Pete

    You will probably get better answers over in alt.os.linux.suse .

    Just don't top post there. They're touchy about that. That, and proper
    quoting. :)

    See you there.

    Bill
    --
    Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.

  4. Eric Parker

    Eric Parker Guest

    "Pete" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All:
    >
    > Now that I have my system stable. I am thinking of making the

    transition
    > from Windoze to Linux SuSE 10.1. I was curious to hear opinions or

    horror
    > stories from anybody else that has tried swapping systems. I also

    was
    > hoping that there will be as many unix overclocking tools as there

    are for
    > windoze. The reason for the switch is that Linux appears to bench

    mark at
    > twice the speed for floating point calculations as Windoze.

    Basically, I
    > need this box as a number cruncher.
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Pete

    I'm surprised that Linux is giving twice the flops that windoze is.
    Is it the same benchmark ?
    Can you give links to the origin of this info.
    What application are you using to crunch numbers (if you don't mind me
    asking) ?

    Eric

    --
    Remove the dross to contact me directly

  5. Pete

    Pete Guest

    "Eric Parker" <> wrote in message

    > "Pete" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi All:
    >>
    >> Now that I have my system stable. I am thinking of making the

    > transition
    >> from Windoze to Linux SuSE 10.1. I was curious to hear opinions or

    > horror
    >> stories from anybody else that has tried swapping systems. I also

    > was
    >> hoping that there will be as many unix overclocking tools as there

    > are for
    >> windoze. The reason for the switch is that Linux appears to bench

    > mark at
    >> twice the speed for floating point calculations as Windoze.

    > Basically, I
    >> need this box as a number cruncher.
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >>
    >> Pete
    >>

    > I'm surprised that Linux is giving twice the flops that windoze is.
    > Is it the same benchmark ?
    > Can you give links to the origin of this info.
    > What application are you using to crunch numbers (if you don't mind me
    > asking) ?
    >
    > Eric
    >
    > --
    > Remove the dross to contact me directly

    I am using MATLAB 2006A. Using the MATLAB Bench command. These are the
    reference specs.

    AMD Opteron 248, 2.1 GHz Dual (MATLAB only runs on one processor) on SuSE
    Linux 9.0 has a 0.26 on the FFT benchmark and 0.17 on the ODE benchmark.

    An AMD Opteron 250, 2.4 GHz Dual running Window XP64, SP-1 has an FFT
    benchmark of 0.49 and an ODE benchmark of 0.43.

    My system running XP64 SP-1 at 286x10 and the RAM with a 9/10 divider hits
    0.42 for the FFT and 0.39 for the ODE. The FFT bemchmark seems to be
    sensitive to the RAM speed and timings.

    The FFT is a good model for most of the calculations that I perform which is
    why I was considering jumping to Linux. Although I am still feeling a bit
    reluctant, because the last time I used a Unix system was 15 years ago and
    found it a bit more complicated than windows to administer.

    Best wishes,

    Pete

  6. Eric Parker

    Eric Parker Guest

    "Pete" <> wrote in message

    > I am using MATLAB 2006A. Using the MATLAB Bench command. These are

    the
    > reference specs.
    >
    > AMD Opteron 248, 2.1 GHz Dual (MATLAB only runs on one processor) on

    SuSE
    > Linux 9.0 has a 0.26 on the FFT benchmark and 0.17 on the ODE

    benchmark.

    > An AMD Opteron 250, 2.4 GHz Dual running Window XP64, SP-1 has an

    FFT
    > benchmark of 0.49 and an ODE benchmark of 0.43.
    >
    > My system running XP64 SP-1 at 286x10 and the RAM with a 9/10

    divider hits
    > 0.42 for the FFT and 0.39 for the ODE. The FFT bemchmark seems to

    be
    > sensitive to the RAM speed and timings.
    >
    > The FFT is a good model for most of the calculations that I perform

    which is
    > why I was considering jumping to Linux. Although I am still feeling

    a bit
    > reluctant, because the last time I used a Unix system was 15 years

    ago and
    > found it a bit more complicated than windows to administer.
    >
    > Best wishes,
    >
    > Pete

    Interesting figures.
    I can only assume MATLAB have yet to get the best out of 64bit
    Windoze.
    Perhaps Linux is their main market and they give it priority in
    development.

    Thanks for the info.

    Eric

    --
    Remove the dross to contact me directly

  7. Pete

    > "Pete" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> I am using MATLAB 2006A. Using the MATLAB Bench command. These are

    > the
    >> reference specs.
    >>
    >> AMD Opteron 248, 2.1 GHz Dual (MATLAB only runs on one processor) on

    > SuSE
    >> Linux 9.0 has a 0.26 on the FFT benchmark and 0.17 on the ODE

    > benchmark.
    >>
    >> An AMD Opteron 250, 2.4 GHz Dual running Window XP64, SP-1 has an

    > FFT
    >> benchmark of 0.49 and an ODE benchmark of 0.43.
    >>
    >> My system running XP64 SP-1 at 286x10 and the RAM with a 9/10

    > divider hits
    >> 0.42 for the FFT and 0.39 for the ODE. The FFT bemchmark seems to

    > be
    >> sensitive to the RAM speed and timings.
    >>
    >> The FFT is a good model for most of the calculations that I perform

    > which is
    >> why I was considering jumping to Linux. Although I am still feeling

    > a bit
    >> reluctant, because the last time I used a Unix system was 15 years

    > ago and
    >> found it a bit more complicated than windows to administer.
    >>
    >> Best wishes,
    >>
    >> Pete
    >>

    > Interesting figures.
    > I can only assume MATLAB have yet to get the best out of 64bit
    > Windoze.
    > Perhaps Linux is their main market and they give it priority in
    > development.
    >
    > Thanks for the info.
    >
    > Eric
    >
    > --
    > Remove the dross to contact me directly

    I don't think your proposition is true. I think the windows market is the
    largest for MATLAB although MATLAB was first developed for Unix.

    I think that SuSE Linux may have better coded math and memory routines than
    windows. MS has always been interested in the bizness community, and their
    lack of attention to numerical computations is best exemplified by the
    sloppiness in Excel.

    Best wishes,

    Pete

  8. Guest

    On Tue, 23 May 2006 00:05:32 GMT, "Pete" <>
    wrote:

    >I don't think your proposition is true. I think the windows market is the
    >largest for MATLAB although MATLAB was first developed for Unix.
    >
    >I think that SuSE Linux may have better coded math and memory routines than
    >windows. MS has always been interested in the bizness community, and their
    >lack of attention to numerical computations is best exemplified by the
    >sloppiness in Excel.
    >
    >Best wishes,
    >
    >Pete

    My money's on Apple or Linux long term.

    Billy Gates just doesn't have the right stuff.