    Thanks,
    Fred

    , May 21, 2008

  2. Rich Webb Guest

    On Wed, 21 May 2008 10:43:24 -0700 (PDT),
    wrote:

    >Hi All,
    >
    >I need to monitor the serial traffic between a PC and an embedded
    >system.
    >Can anyone recommend an inexpensive serial analyzer to do this?
    >Bonus if it works with Linux as well as Windows.

    I use a LogicPort to do that. <http://www.pctestinstruments.com/> The
    software (Windows only, I'm afraid) includes interpreters for
    asynchronous ("RS-232") serial protocols as well as SPI, I2C, and CAN.

    The advantage over multiple physical (or USB-emulated) serial ports is
    that you get to observe/record the timing relationship between the
    serial data lines, as well as monitoring other digital signals on the
    embedded system.

    --
    Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

    Rich Webb, May 21, 2008

  3. Joerg Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I need to monitor the serial traffic between a PC and an embedded
    > system.
    > Can anyone recommend an inexpensive serial analyzer to do this?
    > Bonus if it works with Linux as well as Windows.

    The program Portmon may work. AFAIK now for free download on the MS
    server. No idea what the Linux equivalent would be.

    --
    Regards, Joerg

    http://www.analogconsultants.com/

    Use another domain or send PM.

    Joerg, May 21, 2008
  4. linnix Guest

    On May 21, 1:00 pm, Joerg <>
    wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Hi All,

    > > I need to monitor the serial traffic between a PC and an embedded
    > > system.
    > > Can anyone recommend an inexpensive serial analyzer to do this?
    > > Bonus if it works with Linux as well as Windows.

    > The program Portmon may work. AFAIK now for free download on the MS
    > server. No idea what the Linux equivalent would be.

    You can roll your own with pseudo devices: /dev/pty & /dev/tty

    linnix, May 21, 2008
  5. Patrick Klos Guest

    In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    >Hi All,
    >
    >I need to monitor the serial traffic between a PC and an embedded
    >system.
    >Can anyone recommend an inexpensive serial analyzer to do this?
    >Bonus if it works with Linux as well as Windows.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Fred

    Hi Fred,

    What kind of serial communications are you trying to look at? Some things
    do better than others if you're looking for certain protocols?? For instance,
    if you're trying to look at modem and PPP traffic, you might look at my
    signature. ;^) Someone else mentioned PORTMON, which is a good generic
    serial port monitor for Windows:

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896644.aspx

    Patrick
    Patrick Klos Email: