Anybody ever seen lower than normal CPU temperatures?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by BillW50, Mar 19, 2010.

  1. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    I ask because the last Gateway MX6124 I purchased showed lower CPU
    temperatures during intensive CPU tasks than my other 3 laptops. I
    didn't understand why this was so and I guess I should have investigated
    it sooner. As it appears to have cooked the CPU or maybe the northbridge
    chip would be my guess during heavy duty game playing. And since the
    laptop never detected any heat problems, it didn't run the fan on high
    at all.

    I thought the Celeron CPU has the circuit to measure the CPU temperature
    inside of the CPU right? It isn't on the heatsink or anything right? If
    the former, something must have been wrong with the CPU from the start.
    I'll try swapping the CPU out with a known good one here in the next
    couple of days.

    If the temperature sensor is on the heatsink, then it makes much more
    sense. As this is the same laptop I bought that didn't have a
    functioning keyboard. And I had found the keyboard ribbon clip missing
    from the motherboard if you recall. So somebody must have been in there
    before. And maybe they also removed the heatsink and didn't use any
    thermal paste either when they reassembled. Say does Radio Shack carry
    this paste? As I think I'm out of it and I should get some more.

    Good thing I have three of these laptops, eh? In fact, this hard drive
    came out of that laptop. As that laptop just stopped and wouldn't even
    finish booting from a boot disc. Well no problem, just swap out the hard
    drives, which takes only mere seconds. And Windows doesn't even know
    anything changed and continues on like nothing ever happened.
    Maintenance and troubleshooting just doesn't get easier than this. lol

    --
    Bill
    Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) 1 of 3 - Windows XP SP2
    BillW50, Mar 19, 2010

  2. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:hnvu5d$3vn$-september.org,
    BillW50 typed on :
    >... something must have been wrong with
    > the CPU from the start. I'll try swapping the CPU out with a known
    > good one here in the next couple of days.

    Yup, I got curious and swapped CPUs between two laptops and the problem
    follows the CPU. Not too often do I find a bad Intel Celeron CPU
    anymore. They are usually pretty rugged. Good thing they are cheap
    (especially used).

    BillW50, Mar 19, 2010

  3. BillW50

    ED Guest

    Just curious, what was the low reading versus normal?

    ED, Mar 19, 2010
  4. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:ho0l9j$afh$-september.org,
    ED typed on Fri, 19 Mar 2010 16:03:43 -0400:
    > Just curious, what was the low reading versus normal?

    Hi Ed! My other three laptops with Celerons (two 1.5GHz and one 1.7GHz)
    often read:

    132°F @ idle
    168°F to 180°F Maxed out

    The one that went bad (1.5 GHz) often read:

    123°F @ idle
    154°F Maxed out

    I do have four netbooks with Celerons and they read about 128°F to
    132°F most of the time. But they are under clocked 900MHz running at
    633MHz, so that makes sense in this case. And if I clock them at 900MHz
    and max the CPU out, they will hit around 145°F. But there isn't that
    much more performance boost, so I generally leave them at 633MHz. Those
    netbooks use the keyboard as a heatsink. And it seems to keep them much
    cooler. The fan is on the other side of the motherboard and doesn't help
    the other side with the keyboard too much.

    BillW50, Mar 19, 2010
  5. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:ho0gg3$lme$-september.org,
    BillW50 typed on Fri, 19 Mar 2010 13:41:21 -0500:
    > In news:hnvu5d$3vn$-september.org,
    > BillW50 typed on :
    >> ... something must have been wrong with
    >> the CPU from the start. I'll try swapping the CPU out with a known
    >> good one here in the next couple of days.

    > Yup, I got curious and swapped CPUs between two laptops and the
    > problem follows the CPU. Not too often do I find a bad Intel Celeron
    > CPU anymore. They are usually pretty rugged. Good thing they are cheap
    > (especially used).

    Ouch! Something else is wrong! The known good CPU is reading low
    temperatures too in this laptop. So where is the temperature sensor?
    Isn't it built into the Celeron 370? If so, the motherboard is reading
    the temp much lower than it is. Thus not kicking the fan speed up when
    it gets hotter. If it is external, it has to be on the heatsink/fan
    assembly. There are four wires going to the fan and that is all I can
    see.

    So heavy duty use of the CPU will burn out this CPU too in time I
    believe. If I can get manual control of the fan speed and max it out I
    suppose during heavy use then it would never burn out the CPU. I didn't
    buy any thermal paste yet and I figured if the sensor was in the CPU it
    would just get a bit hotter if it wasn't making good thermal contact.
    But it is just the opposite, the CPU temperature reads low. Anybody has
    any ideas what is going on here?

    BillW50, Mar 19, 2010