    --
    Bill
    Asus EEE PC 702G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
    Xandros Linux (build 2007-10-19 13:03)
    BillW50, Jan 20, 2010

  2. "BillW50" <> wrote in message
    news:hj7o0j$mbn$-september.org...

    > If so, does your spell checker work? I thought maybe my Linux
    > installation was corrupt, so I did a reinstall from the DVD. Nothing
    > changed at all. It claims everything I type is spelled correctly. <sigh>

    Do we need to know why you think otherwise?

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs
    Don Phillipson, Jan 20, 2010

  3. BillW50

    Guest

    Maybe you are wrong?

    On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 13:02:39 -0500, "S. Fishpaste"
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 14:11:56 -0600, BillW50 in comp.sys.laptops wrote:
    >> If so, does your spell checker work? I thought maybe my Linux
    >> installation was corrupt, so I did a reinstall from the DVD. Nothing
    >> changed at all. It claims everything I type is spelled correctly. <sigh>

    >Well one can download dict files from OOo you know. ;-D

    HELP! I CAN'T STOP TYPING IN CAPITAL LETTERS UNDER WINDOWS!
    , Jan 24, 2010
  4. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:,
    S. Fishpaste typed on Sun, 24 Jan 2010 13:02:39 -0500:
    > On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 14:11:56 -0600, BillW50 in comp.sys.laptops wrote:
    >> If so, does your spell checker work? I thought maybe my Linux
    >> installation was corrupt, so I did a reinstall from the DVD. Nothing
    >> changed at all. It claims everything I type is spelled correctly.
    >> <sigh>

    > Well one can download dict files from OOo you know. ;-D

    That may be, but installing them is a different matter. :-(

    --
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Windows XP SP3
    BillW50, Jan 25, 2010
  5. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    S. Fishpaste wrote on Mon, 25 Jan 2010 22:46:58 -0500:
    > On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 03:28:26 -0600, BillW50 in comp.sys.laptops wrote:
    >> In news:,
    >> S. Fishpaste typed on Sun, 24 Jan 2010 13:02:39 -0500:
    >>> Well one can download dict files from OOo you know. ;-D

    >> That may be, but installing them is a different matter. :-(

    > Care to elaborate on what you've actually tried? Sorry if you
    > mentioned it earlier on; I just started following.
    >
    > Sometimes and I have done this in the past; Upstream's versions are
    > newer then the distro in use. Downloading and installing from the
    > Upstream source tree sometimes is desired. First have you downloaded
    > the dict files from OOo and installed them or just tried with your
    > distribution files?

    I downloaded OpenOffice 3.1.1 for Linux RPM and when I go to install it,
    I get the following error message.

    Checksumming...
    Extracting ...
    /home/user/My Documents/OO Install/setup: line 246: rpm2cpio: command
    not found
    cpio: premature end of archive
    find: usr: No such file or directory
    basename: missing operand
    Try `basename --help' for more information.
    /dev/pts/0
    Error: Failed to extract the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) files. (exit
    code 7)

    Press <ENTER> to continue...

    I tried downloading it again on a Windows XP machine running IE7. But
    the server doesn't like IE7. As it is slow and spotty. Trying again with
    Firefox and that is downloading fine so far. So I'll try installing it
    again.

    I also noticed that this Linux machine (which I just freshly
    reinstalled) only downloads at half of the speed of my Windows machines.
    Nor is Linux very good in the multimedia department. I see a big
    difference in performance on the machines that I run both Windows and Linux.

    Now I am getting:

    basename: extra operand `Install/update'
    Try `basename --help' for more information.
    dirname: extra operand `Documents/OO'
    Try `dirname --help' for more information.

    BillW50, Jan 26, 2010
  6. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    felmon wrote on Tue, 26 Jan 2010 11:21:28 -0600:
    > On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 10:53:52 -0600, BillW50 wrote:
    >
    >> I downloaded OpenOffice 3.1.1 for Linux RPM and when I go to install it,
    >> I get the following error message.

    > I should add, you don't need apt-get, etc. if there is a deb package for
    > OpenOffice then download the deb package. there are simple instructions
    > for installing deb packages if you ask here or google on your own.

    Okay now downloading the deb version of OpenOffice. Site still doesn't
    like IE7 for downloading. While Firefox is still working okay with it.

    BillW50, Jan 26, 2010
  7. BillW50

    M.I.5¾ Guest

    "Don Phillipson" <> wrote in message
    > "BillW50" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> If so, does your spell checker work? I thought maybe my Linux
    >> installation was corrupt, so I did a reinstall from the DVD. Nothing
    >> changed at all. It claims everything I type is spelled correctly. <sigh>

    > Do we need to know why you think otherwise?

    Well, he spelt 'spelled' wrong for a start.
    M.I.5¾, Jan 27, 2010
  8. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    BillW50 wrote:
    > felmon wrote on Tue, 26 Jan 2010 11:21:28 -0600:
    >> On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 10:53:52 -0600, BillW50 wrote:
    >>
    >>> I downloaded OpenOffice 3.1.1 for Linux RPM and when I go to install it,
    >>> I get the following error message.

    >> I should add, you don't need apt-get, etc. if there is a deb package
    >> for OpenOffice then download the deb package. there are simple
    >> instructions for installing deb packages if you ask here or google on
    >> your own.

    > Okay now downloading the deb version of OpenOffice. Site still doesn't
    > like IE7 for downloading. While Firefox is still working okay with it.

    Same thing.

    dirname: extra operand `Documents/OO/update'
    Try `dirname --help' for more information.

    Press <ENTER> to continue...

    The readme states:

    There is a wide variety of Linux distributions, and even within the same
    distribution there may be different installation options (KDE vs Gnome,
    etc.). Some distributions ship with their own ‘native’ version of
    OpenOffice.org, which may have different features from this Community
    OpenOffice.org. Sometimes you can install the Community OpenOffice.org
    alongside the ‘native’ version. However, it’s usually safer to remove
    the ‘native’ version before installing this Community version. Consult
    the documentation for your distribution for details of how to do this.

    There is no documentation for this distro, except for the user's manual
    that covers only brief comments about the pre-installed software. There
    is a add/remove application. But it is only for add/remove applications
    that you install from their server. And removing pre-installed software
    is not allowed. Pretty sad, eh?

    BillW50, Jan 27, 2010
  9. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    AJL wrote on Wed, 27 Jan 2010 09:41:42 -0700:
    > BillW50 <> wrote:
    >
    >> If so, does your spell checker work? I thought maybe my Linux
    >> installation was corrupt, so I did a reinstall from the DVD. Nothing
    >> changed at all. It claims everything I type is spelled correctly. <sigh>

    > The spell checker works fine on OpenOffice 2.04 on my Xandros powered
    > 2G Surf. However I have reinstalled from the F9 option. I have never
    > used the DVD for recovery though I doubt that would make a difference
    > in the spell checker problem. Sorry for the delay I just got around to
    > checking it last night.
    >
    > Right now I'm trying this Windows Agent newsreader using Wine on a new
    > Ubuntu 9.10 installation. If you get this it worked... ;)

    Well that is good to hear. Was Open Office pre-installed on the 2G Surf,
    or did you get it from the Asus server? I found an Open Office update
    through Add/Remove, but I don't see any changes whatsoever. Even the
    version number is the same.

    I am using the same DVD recovery disc all of the time. Maybe that is the
    problem. I have other recovery disc, so maybe I should try one of those.
    I could swap out this 4G SSD too. But all I have for spares are 8G and
    16G SSD. Kind of overkill for Xandros.

    I also have 2GB of RAM and Xandros can only see 1GB. I wouldn't think
    that would screw up the spell checker. But I guess you never know until
    you put less in the machine.

    Good luck with Ubuntu 9.10. Hopefully you can find all of the drivers.
    For me, the WiFi and the webcam is the hardest to get working. Although
    there is no application that uses the webcam except Skype under Xandros
    anyway. So I guess no real loss there. Although lots of applications
    uses it under Windows.

    BillW50, Jan 27, 2010
  10. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    BillW50 wrote on Wed, 27 Jan 2010 13:34:26 -0600:
    > I also have 2GB of RAM and Xandros can only see 1GB. I wouldn't think
    > that would screw up the spell checker. But I guess you never know until
    > you put less in the machine.

    Just popped in 256MB of RAM real quick. No difference. Just applications
    seem to open a tad slower. But that is about it. I'll try a 16G SSD and
    a new recovery disc next and see what happens.

    BillW50, Jan 27, 2010
  11. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:,
    S. Fishpaste typed on Wed, 27 Jan 2010 10:25:44 -0500:
> [...]

    >> it,
    >> I get the following error message.

    > You're not filling in the details old chap. For what distro and what
    > version of the distro? Have you ensured that the version you're trying
    > to install is actually compatible with the distro you're using? Where
    > did you get the rpm binary from?
    >
    > Many so-called consumer distros (and I imagine that's what you're
    > using since it appears to be RPM based) don't like one upgrading
    > binaries from outside their source tree. So please fill in the
    > details. If it's Xandros that you're picking a piss poor distro.
    > Better to stick to the well engineered ones like GNU/Debian or the
    > many Debian derrivatives like Ubuntu.
    >
    >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >> Checksumming...
    >> Extracting ...
    >> /home/user/My Documents/OO Install/setup: line 246: rpm2cpio: command
    >> not found
    >> cpio: premature end of archive
    >> find: usr: No such file or directory
    >> basename: missing operand
    >> Try `basename --help' for more information.
    >> /dev/pts/0
    >> Error: Failed to extract the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) files.
    >> (exit code 7)
    >>
    >> Press <ENTER> to continue...
    >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >>
    >> I tried downloading it again on a Windows XP machine running IE7. But
    >> the server doesn't like IE7. As it is slow and spotty. Trying again
    >> with Firefox and that is downloading fine so far. So I'll try
    >> installing it again.

    > Well I doubt it's a problem with the download.
    >
    >> I also noticed that this Linux machine (which I just freshly
    >> reinstalled) only downloads at half of the speed of my Windows
    >> machines. Nor is Linux very good in the multimedia department. I see
    >> a big
    >> difference in performance on the machines that I run both Windows
    >> and Linux.

    > Well that could be the result of many things. Can't trouble shoot that
    > without knowing considerably more.
    >
    > In terms of multimedia, out of the box it can be daunting as a lot of
    > distros don't package things in a great way for multimedia. But really
    > try using a modern distro like Ubuntu. Many pros use Linux in the film
    > business and it's used quite a bit in the 3D development world. Linux
    > tends to be used in high performance fields, not so much with consumer
    > end users.
    >
    >> Now I am getting:
    >>
    >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >> basename: extra operand `Install/update'
    >> Try `basename --help' for more information.
    >> dirname: extra operand `Documents/OO'
    >> Try `dirname --help' for more information.
    >> basename: extra operand `Install/update'
    >> Try `basename --help' for more information.
    >>

    >> Press <ENTER> to continue...
    >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    > Well help fill in the details we're missing, and I'll try to help.

    It is running Xandros Linux and EeePC 1.01 desktop on top of KDE. You
    can see the KDE version only by hacking the OS to use the KDE desktop.
    Mine has been reinstalled so I can't see it without hacking it. Maybe
    AJL knows. He is running the same version on his Surf.

    The newest version of EeePC desktop is 1.05 I believe. And the newer
    ones adds drive letters to Linux drives. I guess Windows users can't
    find the drives without drive letters. Not something that I need. So I
    have avoided upgrading the desktop.

    BillW50, Jan 27, 2010
  12. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:hjq7vt$g2i$-september.org,
    BillW50 typed onWed, 27 Jan 2010 14:33:54 -0600 :
    > In news:,
    > S. Fishpaste typed on Wed, 27 Jan 2010 10:25:44 -0500:
    > It is running Xandros Linux and EeePC 1.01 desktop on top of KDE. You
    > can see the KDE version only by hacking the OS to use the KDE desktop.
    > Mine has been reinstalled so I can't see it without hacking it. Maybe
    > AJL knows. He is running the same version on his Surf.
    >
    > The newest version of EeePC desktop is 1.05 I believe. And the newer
    > ones adds drive letters to Linux drives. I guess Windows users can't
    > find the drives without drive letters. Not something that I need. So I
    > have avoided upgrading the desktop.

    On installing it on another SSD, it says the following during the
    install:

    ISOLinux 3.11 2005-09-02 Copyright (C) 1994-2005 H. Peter Anvin

    Does that mean anything to you? Is that the Linux kernel version? And
    who is this Peter Anvin guy? Is he taking charge of the kernel for Linus
    Torvalds?

    BillW50, Jan 27, 2010
  13. In article <hjqac8$7qt$-september.org>,
    BillW50 <> wrote:

    >Does that mean anything to you? Is that the Linux kernel version? And

    It's just the bootloader.
    the wharf rat, Jan 27, 2010
  14. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    AJL wrote on Wed, 27 Jan 2010 14:33:25 -0700:
    > BillW50 <> wrote:
    >
    >> Was Open Office pre-installed on the 2G Surf,
    >> or did you get it from the Asus server?

    > It was pre-installed.

    Oh was it Thunderbird that you downloaded?

    >> I found an Open Office update
    >> through Add/Remove, but I don't see any changes whatsoever. Even the
    >> version number is the same.

    > With Linux the same app version can be coded differently for different
    > OS versions. I understand the Asus Eee Xandros is even different from
    > the standard version. I've had some luck with apps from deb
    > repositories but it's hit or miss.

    Interesting... I'd be interested in the ones that worked.

    >> I am using the same DVD recovery disc all of the time. Maybe that is the
    >> problem. I have other recovery disc, so maybe I should try one of those.

    > I would think using the recovery disk that came with that netbook
    > would be the best thing to try. Course you will wipe everything but
    > that may be less of a pain than what you're now doing.

    I tried different RAM, different SSD, and the original DVD recovery for
    this machine (I really believe all 701, 702, and 900 Xandros DVD
    recovery disc are all the same and other models might be as well). Used
    the BIOS OS Start and Finished too. The only thing that does as far as I
    can tell is to kick the USB ports down to USB1.1 speeds and kick the
    webcam off. But I don't see any difference when installing an OS except
    the USB ports are slower.

    The webcam is said to screw up the USB ports if it is operating at
    USB1.1 speeds. As it has one speed and that is USB2. Plus I can see an
    OS getting confused seeing an unknown device during an install. But most
    of the time, the OEM version of Windows or the Xandros install, I don't
    see any reason to change it from OS finished during an install. It might
    help if you use a retail version of Windows or another Linux distro.
    Otherwise I don't notice any difference. The OS Start BIOS setting turns
    off the webcam too. So when you change it back to OS finished, you also
    need to set the webcam back to enabled.

    >> Good luck with Ubuntu 9.10. Hopefully you can find all of the drivers.
    >> For me, the WiFi and the webcam is the hardest to get working.

    > This installation went without a hitch on both my Acer 15" and this
    > Eee 10". The wireless was recognized immediately on both. They have
    > improved boot time to around 30 seconds. First impressions: it seems a
    > little faster than Vista and a little slower than XP. But it's fun to
    > play with and I'm only using 30GB so no big strain on the drive.

    How fast does it connect to the WiFi? As the EeePC boots up Xandros very
    fast in 20 seconds in easy mode. Windows XP takes 50 seconds. Xandros in
    advanced mode takes 40 seconds. But Xandros takes about 40 seconds for
    the WiFi to connect. So Windows XP is faster since it only takes less
    than a few seconds to connect.

    BillW50, Jan 27, 2010
  15. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    felmon wrote on Thu, 28 Jan 2010 10:45:36 -0600:
    > On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 09:56:09 -0600, BillW50 wrote:
    >
    >>> Okay now downloading the deb version of OpenOffice. Site still doesn't
    >>> like IE7 for downloading. While Firefox is still working okay with it.

    >> Same thing.
    >>
    >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >>
    >> dirname: extra operand `Documents/OO/update' Try `dirname --help' for
    >> more information.

    > sorry but I am not sure what this all refers to.
    >
    > one method is: you download the .deb file first, then go to the
    > commandline and do
    >
    > sudo dpkg -i file.deb
    >
    > is this the point where you are getting the errors? (sorry, I may have
    > missed a stretch of the thread.)

    Hi Felmon! No I didn't try that. I'm going to try that now. How I did
    it, was I extracted the package and ran the script called update which
    looks like this:

    #!/bin/sh

    GNOMEXCMDS="/usr/bin/gksu"
    GNOMECMDS="/usr/bin/gnome-terminal /opt/gnome/bin/gnome-terminal"
    KDEXCMDS="/usr/bin/kdesu /opt/kde/bin/kdesu /opt/kde?/bin/kdesu"
    KDECMDS="/usr/bin/konsole /opt/kde/bin/konsole /opt/kde?/bin/konsole"
    MISCCMDS="/usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator /usr/X11/bin/xterm
    /usr/openwin/bin/xterm"

    TITLE='OpenOffice.org update'

    #
    # Usage
    #

    Usage () {
    if [ "`basename $0`" = "update" ]; then
    echo "Usage: `basename $0` [<path to OpenOffice.org installation>]"
    fi
    echo
    exit 2
    }

    make_tempfile() {

    # Always prefer mktemp when available
    if [ -x "$MKTEMP" ]; then
    "$MKTEMP" "/tmp/$1.XXXXXX"
    else
    TMPCMD="/tmp/$1.$$"
    touch $TMPCMD
    echo $TMPCMD
    fi

    }

    #
    # make_command_file - generate a command file to pass to xterm & co
    #
    run_in_terminal () {

    TMPCMD=`make_tempfile 'OpenOffice.org-Online-Update'`

    cat >> $TMPCMD

    cat >> $TMPCMD << \EOF
    if [ $? -eq 0 -a ! -z "$DISPLAY" ]; then
    echo
    echo "Press <Enter> to close this window"
    read DUMMY
    fi
    EOF

    cat >> $TMPCMD << EOF
    rm -f $TMPCMD
    EOF

    chmod a+x $TMPCMD
    exec "$@" -e $TMPCMD
    }

    #
    # run the command line passed as positional parameters either via
    # gksu/kdesu or via su command in a terminal emulator.
    #
    elevate() {

    TITLEOPT=""
    GEOMOPT=""
    case `basename $XTERM` in
    "xterm")
    TITLEOPT="-title"
    GEOMOPT="-geometry "
    ;;
    "gnome-terminal" | "konsole" | "x-terminal-emulator")
    TITLEOPT="--title"
    GEOMOPT="--geometry="
    ;;
    esac

    case `basename $SU` in
    "kdesu" )
    # --caption
    SUOPT="-t"
    ;;
    "gksu" )
    # --title
    SUOPT=""
    ;;
    "su" )
    SUOPT="- root -c"
    ;;
    esac

    ( echo "echo The application \"$@\" will update your OpenOffice.org
    installation."
    echo "echo"
    echo "$SU" "$SUOPT" "$@"
    ) | run_in_terminal "$XTERM" "$TITLEOPT" "$TITLE" ${GEOMOPT}+300+300
    }

    update_pkg() {
    ADMINFILE=`make_tempfile 'OpenOffice.org-Online-Update-admin'`

    cat >> $ADMINFILE << EOF
    action=nocheck
    conflict=nocheck
    setuid=nocheck
    idepend=nocheck
    rdepend=nocheck
    mail=
    EOF

    PKGLIST=""
    for i in `cd $1; ls -d *`; do
    pkginfo -q $i && PKGLIST="$PKGLIST $i"
    done

    pkgrm -n -a $ADMINFILE $PKGLIST
    pkgadd -n -a $ADMINFILE -d $1 $PKGLIST

    rm -f $ADMINFILE
    }

    #
    # main
    #

    CMD="`basename $0`"
    BASEDIR="`dirname $0`"
    ABSBASEDIR="`cd $BASEDIR; pwd`"

    if [ -z "$DISPLAY" ]; then
    SU="su"
    XTERM=""
    else
    # define search order depending on the desktop in use ..
    if [ "`uname -s`" = "SunOS" ]; then
    XPROP=/usr/openwin/bin/xprop
    GREP=/usr/xpg4/bin/grep
    MKTEMP=/usr/bin/mktemp
    else
    if [ -x /usr/X11/bin/xprop ]; then
    XPROP=/usr/X11/bin/xprop
    else
    XPROP=/usr/bin/xprop
    fi
    GREP=grep
    MKTEMP=/bin/mktemp
    fi

    # use desktop specific tools where possible, but prefer X11 su over
    terminal emulators
    if $XPROP -root | $GREP -q '^KWIN_RUNNING'; then
    SULIST="$KDEXCMDS $GNOMEXCMDS"
    XTERMLIST="$KDECMDS $MISCCMDS"
    else
    SULIST="$GNOMEXCMDS $KDEXCMDS"
    XTERMLIST="$GNOMECMDS $MISCCMDS"
    fi

    # search for the first available terminal emulator
    for i in $XTERMLIST; do
    if [ -x $i ]; then
    XTERM=$i
    break
    fi
    done

    # we prefer gksu or kdesu if available
    SU="su"
    for i in $SULIST; do
    if [ -x $i ]; then
    SU=$i
    break
    fi
    done
    fi

    if [ "$CMD" = "update" ]; then
    if [ $# -gt 0 ]; then
    [ -d $1 -a $# -eq 1 ] || Usage
    elevate "$ABSBASEDIR/$CMD"
    else
    if [ -d "$BASEDIR/RPMS" ]; then
    # do not use --hash as the control sequence to edit the current
    line does not work
    # in our setup (at least not with kdesu)
    rpm -v --freshen `find "$BASEDIR"/RPMS -name '*.rpm'`
    elif [ -d "$BASEDIR/DEBS" ]; then
    dpkg --install --selected-only --recursive "$BASEDIR"/DEBS
    elif [ -d "$BASEDIR/packages" ]; then
    update_pkg "$BASEDIR/packages"
    fi
    fi
    else
    Usage
    fi

    BillW50, Jan 28, 2010
  16. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    felmon wrote:
    > one method is: you download the .deb file first, then go to the
    > commandline and do
    >
    > sudo dpkg -i file.deb
    >
    > is this the point where you are getting the errors? (sorry, I may have
    > missed a stretch of the thread.)

    Okay the package is called
    "OOo_3.1.1_LinuxIntel_install_en-US_deb.tar.gz". And that is too long to
    type so I renamed it to "OOdeb.tar.gz". Then I ran:

    sudo dpkg -i OOdeb.tar.gz

    And deb reported the following:

    /home/user/My Documents/OO> sudo dpkg -i OOdeb.tar.gz
    dpkg-deb: `OOdeb.tar.gz' is not a debian format archive
    dpkg: error processing OOdeb.tar.gz (--install):
    subprocess dpkg-deb --control returned error exit status 2
    OOdeb.tar.gz

    BillW50, Jan 28, 2010
  17. In article <hjshvu$9qo$-september.org>,
    BillW50 <> wrote:

    >sudo dpkg -i OOdeb.tar.gz

    Try

    tar xvzf OOdeb.tar.gz

    Then install the .deb file it writes.
    the wharf rat, Jan 28, 2010
  18. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:hjspvh$rn1$,
    the wharf rat typed on Thu, 28 Jan 2010 19:53:21 +0000 (UTC):
    > In article <hjshvu$9qo$-september.org>,
    > BillW50 <> wrote:
    >>
    >> sudo dpkg -i OOdeb.tar.gz

    > Try
    >
    > tar xvzf OOdeb.tar.gz
    >
    > Then install the .deb file it writes.

    That unpacks them. But double clicking on the file in the File Manager
    does the same thing. Just like double clicking on a ZIP file in Windows.
    And I can drag them wherever I want. Although there is one folder with
    three folders inside of it and one script file called update. This is
    the script I tried to run. One of the folders is called DEBS and has 49
    DEB files in there. And one subfolder with another DEB file in there.

    So what you are saying is that I have to "sudo dpkg -i" all 50 of them?
    That would take a day and half to do them all. And do they have to use
    like 50 characters per DEB file? If so, this is insane!

    BillW50, Jan 28, 2010
  19. In article <hjsst1$gl3$-september.org>,
    BillW50 <> wrote:

    >So what you are saying is that I have to "sudo dpkg -i" all 50 of them?

    From the FM:

    1. Remove all the packages from the installed version
    Go to Synaptic or your package manager and mark all the openoffice.org packages installed to be removed (there is the string ubuntu in their version number). This is mandatory for your first upgrade of the distro delivered OOo version, no need to do that for the following upgrades.

    2. Download the tarball (.tar.gz file) from the official OOo web site

    3. Extract the tarball in your home directory (or any other directory you want)

    tar -vxzf filename

    You should see a new folder, say OOo_inst_folder.
    Example (for 2.4.0): OOo_inst_folder = OOH680_m12_native_packed-1_en-US.9286

    4. Install the created .debs

    cd OOo_inst_folder/DEBS
    sudo dpkg -i *.deb

    5. Update the Applications menu
    Go to the desktop integration subfolder.

    cd desktop-integration

    Run again the previous installation command.

    sudo dpkg -i *.deb
    the wharf rat, Jan 28, 2010
  20. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:,
    S. Fishpaste typed on Wed, 27 Jan 2010 19:16:10 -0500:
    > Why don't you use a modern Linux distro like Ubuntu? It's made for
    > folks like you and works on EEEPCs -- I installed it on several for
    > clients. Works out of the box; everything including the camera. You'll
    > aslo get a modern version of OOo. Xandros is a POS IMO.

    Tried Ubuntu years ago and it never even loaded on any computer I ever
    tried. I still have the CD and I believe it never worked because the CD
    was corrupt.

    Tried it last year by putting Linux 8.04 Live on a flash drive and
    booted it up on a Windows XP EeePC and it booted fine. I don't think the
    wireless worked. And worse, it toasted the Windows install. Oh Windows
    still worked if I used a boot disc and renamed iband.dll to something
    else. Otherwise Windows would hang on boot with a Windows Installer box
    frozen on the screen.

    Yes I know, Live versions doesn't harm anything on your other drive.
    Well sorry to tell everybody, but that isn't so. I even tried it two
    more times to make sure it was Ubuntu that was doing this. And sure
    enough it was. So I won't even let Ubuntu near any Windows machine,
    ever!

    I did the same with Puppy Linux and that doesn't harm Windows at all
    running from a flash. Although Puppy Linux also doesn't work with the
    wireless and it cranks up the brightness to max! I need a welder's
    shield just to see the screen. I can adjust it down once it is booted.
    But why is it touching the brightness in the first place? And why the
    need for the high beam headlights? Was one of the programmers legally
    blind?

    And to be honest, I get along just fine with other OS like RT-11, CP/M,
    DOS, CBM-DOS, GEOS, Windows, etc. But Unix and Linux has never been a
    fun experience for me, sorry to say. And being a programmer in the past,
    I see Linux and applications for Linux so poorly written. So that isn't
    helping much either.

    And I don't see the big plus for open source either. As everybody has
    their own method and style of programming. It is like having too many
    cooks in the kitchen. And mix them altogether and all you will produce
    is a piece of crap that should have never seen the light of day in the
    first place. :-(

    BillW50, Jan 28, 2010