Anyone aware of AGP problems on the NF7 series ?

Discussion in 'Abit' started by No_Spam, Oct 10, 2006.

  1. No_Spam

    No_Spam Guest

    Ok, an old board now I know, but I thought I'd ask before I dump it.

    NF7-s with an 3200 Athlon.
    2 stick of corsair 512 ddr 400
    Geforce FX5200

    200 gig maxstor sata
    300 gig maxstor ide
    80 gig Ibm ide

    450 w psu

    WinXP sp2

    System randomly black screens, everything locks up and needs a power off
    to get control back. This can happen 3 or 4 times in a day and then
    not happen for weeks. Time up has no baring, system can fall over with
    2 mins of first power on or have been on for 6 hours.
    Nothing over clocked.

    Now here where it gets strange..

    I've changed the cpu, motherboard, memory and graphics card.

    I've run with 4 different psu's and every hd on it's own. I've clean
    installed win (both XP and an old ver of 2000) on every drive and run
    with minimum hardware (boot drive, graphics card) and still it falls over.
    I've used it in a number of rooms and there are two other systems
    running in the house without a problem so I'm fairly sure it's not a
    mains issue.

    I 'think' it's something to do with the graphics/AGP as if I run movies
    I can sometime make it fall over.
    I'm running the latest driver for everything.
    I've run test across the memory and it passes, I've run with both sticks
    and with a single alone and moved it from slot to slot.

    Any one had anything similar ?
    No_Spam, Oct 10, 2006

  2. No_Spam

    Sparkle Guest

    No_Spam wrote:

    > Ok, an old board now I know, but I thought I'd ask before I dump it.
    >
    > NF7-s with an 3200 Athlon.
    > 2 stick of corsair 512 ddr 400
    > Geforce FX5200
    >
    > 200 gig maxstor sata
    > 300 gig maxstor ide
    > 80 gig Ibm ide
    >
    > 450 w psu
    >
    > WinXP sp2
    >
    > System randomly black screens, everything locks up and needs a power off
    > to get control back. This can happen 3 or 4 times in a day and then
    > not happen for weeks. Time up has no baring, system can fall over with
    > 2 mins of first power on or have been on for 6 hours.
    > Nothing over clocked.
    >
    > Now here where it gets strange..
    >
    > I've changed the cpu, motherboard, memory and graphics card.
    >
    > I've run with 4 different psu's and every hd on it's own. I've clean
    > installed win (both XP and an old ver of 2000) on every drive and run
    > with minimum hardware (boot drive, graphics card) and still it falls over.
    > I've used it in a number of rooms and there are two other systems
    > running in the house without a problem so I'm fairly sure it's not a
    > mains issue.
    >
    > I 'think' it's something to do with the graphics/AGP as if I run movies
    > I can sometime make it fall over.
    > I'm running the latest driver for everything.
    > I've run test across the memory and it passes, I've run with both sticks
    > and with a single alone and moved it from slot to slot.
    >
    > Any one had anything similar ?

    I had a Geforce2MX in mine, now use an FX5500. Never had AGP problems at
    all.

    Is your northbridge chipset fan working okay? Those fail regularly.
    Sparkle, Oct 11, 2006

  3. No_Spam

    pigdos Guest

    Do you have any leaky, bulging capacitors? Maybe you could try clearing the
    BIOs.

    --
    Doug

    pigdos, Oct 27, 2006
  4. No_Spam

    fondue Guest

    > Ok, an old board now I know, but I thought I'd ask before I dump it.
    >
    > NF7-s with an 3200 Athlon.
    > 2 stick of corsair 512 ddr 400
    > Geforce FX5200
    >
    > 200 gig maxstor sata
    > 300 gig maxstor ide
    > 80 gig Ibm ide
    >
    > 450 w psu
    >
    > WinXP sp2
    >
    > System randomly black screens, everything locks up and needs a power off
    > to get control back. This can happen 3 or 4 times in a day and then not
    > happen for weeks. Time up has no baring, system can fall over with 2 mins
    > of first power on or have been on for 6 hours.
    > Nothing over clocked.
    >
    > Now here where it gets strange..
    >
    > I've changed the cpu, motherboard, memory and graphics card.
    >
    > I've run with 4 different psu's and every hd on it's own. I've clean
    > installed win (both XP and an old ver of 2000) on every drive and run with
    > minimum hardware (boot drive, graphics card) and still it falls over.
    > I've used it in a number of rooms and there are two other systems running
    > in the house without a problem so I'm fairly sure it's not a mains issue.
    >
    > I 'think' it's something to do with the graphics/AGP as if I run movies I
    > can sometime make it fall over.
    > I'm running the latest driver for everything.
    > I've run test across the memory and it passes, I've run with both sticks
    > and with a single alone and moved it from slot to slot.
    >
    > Any one had anything similar ?

    What about the PSU?
    fondue, Nov 2, 2006