Anyone tried nVidia System Utility or nTune on A7N8X-VM or VM/400?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by bkaral1@hotmail.com, Nov 24, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Hi all:

    I'd like very much to run mobile Athlons on the A7N8X-VM/400 board I
    have here.

    However, as many of you know, there are no clock/timing settings to
    speak of in the BIOS setup utility. Because a mobile Athlon has no
    lock on clock settings, if it is inserted into this board, it will
    default to something ridiculously low, like for example, 600 MHz.

    After researching various methods of adjusting clock/timing settings
    fo this board, I came up with only a couple which seemed safe.

    My first choice would be to try running NVSU-the nVidia System Utility
    or nTune (newer, renamed version) on the board.

    Has anyone tried running either of these on the A7N8X-VM or VM/400?
    Obviously it has some downsides.

    Alternatively, has anyone tried using an Upgradeware XP-TMC socket
    adapter to change the multiplier setting?

    Thanks in advance.

    Brad

    , Nov 24, 2004

  2. Paul Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > Hi all:
    >
    > I'd like very much to run mobile Athlons on the A7N8X-VM/400 board I
    > have here.
    >
    > However, as many of you know, there are no clock/timing settings to
    > speak of in the BIOS setup utility. Because a mobile Athlon has no
    > lock on clock settings, if it is inserted into this board, it will
    > default to something ridiculously low, like for example, 600 MHz.
    >
    > After researching various methods of adjusting clock/timing settings
    > fo this board, I came up with only a couple which seemed safe.
    >
    > My first choice would be to try running NVSU-the nVidia System Utility
    > or nTune (newer, renamed version) on the board.
    >
    > Has anyone tried running either of these on the A7N8X-VM or VM/400?
    > Obviously it has some downsides.
    >
    > Alternatively, has anyone tried using an Upgradeware XP-TMC socket
    > adapter to change the multiplier setting?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Brad

    Poking around this directory, I see the NVSU utility:

    ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/misc/utils/nf2/

    When you unzip NvidiaSU_v09.zip , the nvsysvals.ini contains:

    "[A7N8X-E ]
    cpu_min = 1.750
    cpu_max = 1.850
    cpu_increment_step=0.025
    agp_min = 1.5
    agp_max = 1.7
    agp_increment_step=0.1
    core_min = 1.5
    core_max = 1.7
    core_increment_step=0.1
    mem_min = 2.6
    mem_max = 2.8
    mem_increment_step=0.1
    aux_min = 1.6
    aux_max = 1.7
    aux_increment_step=0.1"

    That, at least, suggests SU must have glue in the code for
    each kind of motherboard being used, and if the multiplier
    bits don't have GPIO pins tied to them, then it would not
    be possible to use a SU like utility to do the job.

    If you want this bad enough, consider modding the bottom of
    the socket. The FSB pins, VID pins, and the multiplier pins
    are documented on the net, and you could use defroster paint
    or a similar conductive paint, to make connections. I looked
    at soldering to the bottom of my motherboard, and the
    through-hole sockets now being used, have hardly any lead
    length on the pins. If the pins were full length, it would be
    a piece of cake to wind shorting wires onto the pins, and make
    the connections that way. Since a socket is sensitive to
    soldering heat (you can melt and deform the plastic), I decided
    not to take a chance with soldering to them. The conductive paint
    remains as an alternative.

    This page gives hints on how to adjust stuff:
    http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html

    This tells you what some of the adjustments can do:
    http://fab51.com/cpu/barton/athlon-e23.html

    You can crosscheck the info with page 66 of a Barton datasheet:
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/26237.PDF

    How do you plan on handling the issues with memory ? Are you
    going to run the FSB at 166MHz or 200MHz. The memory is only
    supposed to run to PC2700 rates, due to some kind of limit with
    the memory clock and operation of the built-in video. If the
    BIOS has no useful adjustment for the memory clock, then
    maybe you'll need a hacked BIOS or something ? Check on
    nforcershq.com, to see if anyone has a hacked BIOS. Are
    you using a separate video card ? That is supposed to allow
    the hardware to use a DDR400 memory rate, if you can figure out
    a way of getting the memory clock set to 200MHz.

    I'd sooner pick up a A7N8X-E, a cheap video card, and do all of
    this from the BIOS.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Nov 25, 2004

  3. Guest

    Paul:

    Thanks. Valuable input that was. You're definitely ahead of me in this
    particular area of knowledge.

    I will certainly give the NVSU utility a try when I finally get a CPU
    to try with the board. I've noticed some code for Linux- cpufreq-
    that is supposed to be able to change FSB settings from within Linux.
    I may try to run that if I get the chance.

    As things stand, I'm not really comfortable with changing the board
    itself, so I think other than the NVSU, I'll also try the Upgradeware
    socket-I've come across one at a great price. That requires no changes
    to the board and since I'm not going to use aggressive timings, it
    should not void the warranty either.

    I wish I knew why Asus decided to remove all timing settings from the
    BIOS of this board. If they hadn't, it would be the perfect HTPC
    board.

    Let me know if you find out more about this issue-and I'll do the
    same.

    Brad

    , Nov 25, 2004