    Faster?

    I don't think I understand the instructions - does it not work on a
    beige G3 *at all* unless you have a PCI video card?

    Mars Rover, Jan 17, 2004

  2. Mars Rover

    fishfry Guest

    In article <170120041416137352%>,
    Mars Rover <> wrote:

    > Faster?
    >
    > I don't think I understand the instructions - does it not work on a
    > beige G3 *at all* unless you have a PCI video card?

    I can't get it to work on my beige. Is a PCI video card the magic trick?
    I'm gonna try that.

    fishfry, Jan 18, 2004

  3. Mars Rover

    Aaron Guest

    In article <>,
    andrewunix <> wrote:

    > Sun, 18 Jan 2004 01:17:42 GMT, suggested:
    > : In article <170120041416137352%>,
    > : Mars Rover <> wrote:
    > :
    > :> Faster?
    > :>
    > :> I don't think I understand the instructions - does it not work on a
    > :> beige G3 *at all* unless you have a PCI video card?
    > :
    > : I can't get it to work on my beige. Is a PCI video card the magic trick?
    > : I'm gonna try that.
    >
    > According to the site, the author hasn't been able to get the built-in
    > video to work yet.

    I'm using XPostFacto to run Panther on my G3/300 desktop. Here's what
    I've added to it:

    PowerLogix PowerForce G3/900MHz upgrade (runs at 867MHz in my beige G3)
    768MB RAM
    Radeon PCI Mac Edition
    Seagate 40GB HD

    It runs Panther just fine for general web/word processing/spreadsheet
    work.

    --
    Aaron Melgares

    Aaron, Jan 20, 2004
  4. Mars Rover

    Bev A. Kupf Guest

    On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 05:04:48 GMT,
    Aaron () wrote:
    > I'm using XPostFacto to run Panther on my G3/300 desktop. Here's what
    > I've added to it:
    >
    > PowerLogix PowerForce G3/900MHz upgrade (runs at 867MHz in my beige G3)
    > 768MB RAM
    > Radeon PCI Mac Edition
    > Seagate 40GB HD
    >
    > It runs Panther just fine for general web/word processing/spreadsheet
    > work.

    I'm curious. How much does an upgrade like that cost? $300 to $400?

    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Tintin turns 75 <http://www.tintin.com>

    Bev A. Kupf, Jan 20, 2004
  5. Mars Rover

    Aaron Guest

    In article <>,
    "Bev A. Kupf" <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 05:04:48 GMT,
    > Aaron () wrote:
    > > I'm using XPostFacto to run Panther on my G3/300 desktop. Here's what
    > > I've added to it:
    > >
    > > PowerLogix PowerForce G3/900MHz upgrade (runs at 867MHz in my beige G3)
    > > 768MB RAM
    > > Radeon PCI Mac Edition
    > > Seagate 40GB HD
    > >
    > > It runs Panther just fine for general web/word processing/spreadsheet
    > > work.
    > >

    > I'm curious. How much does an upgrade like that cost? $300 to $400?

    The G3/900 is $235:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Item.cfm?ID=5961&Item=PLGPFZ900

    The memory was $25 per 256MB when I bought it, but it's running about
    $85 now.

    A Radeon 7000 PCI is $120

    I also bought a CD-RW from a friend for $20 that came out of her G4/400.

    --
    Aaron Melgares

    Aaron, Jan 23, 2004
  6. fishfry <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > In article <170120041416137352%>,
    > Mars Rover <> wrote:
    >
    > > Faster?
    > >
    > > I don't think I understand the instructions - does it not work on a
    > > beige G3 *at all* unless you have a PCI video card?

    > I can't get it to work on my beige. Is a PCI video card the magic trick?
    > I'm gonna try that.

    It might be necessary to have a Radeon Card. I have a Rage-128 and was
    not able to install 10.3.

    Andreas Kromke, Jan 30, 2004