App Store annoyance

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Alan Browne, Mar 7, 2013.

  1. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Recently there was an AppStore update for AirPort Utility (6.2).

    Since I have no Airport devices I have no need for this update.

    Or does this update also cover the iMac AirPort (which I rarely use).

    The option is "Update". No option to ignore.

    Is there a way to get it off of the update list? (Esp. so the 'badge' on
    the app in the dock disappears)?

    (Not to mention the usual annoyance of App Store not showing the cost of
    the update (how many megabytes) - have to go to the Mac Support site and
    dig around to find it (not so much in this case @ 21 MB)).

    --
    "There were, unfortunately, no great principles on which parties
    were divided – politics became a mere struggle for office."
    Alan Browne, Mar 7, 2013

  2. Alan Browne

    David Empson Guest

    Alan Browne <> wrote:

    > Recently there was an AppStore update for AirPort Utility (6.2).
    >
    > Since I have no Airport devices I have no need for this update.
    >
    > Or does this update also cover the iMac AirPort (which I rarely use).

    No, it is just the management/configuration software for AirPort base
    stations (including Airport Express, Airport Extreme and Time Capsule).

    > The option is "Update". No option to ignore.
    >
    > Is there a way to get it off of the update list? (Esp. so the 'badge' on
    > the app in the dock disappears)?

    Yes, but it is yet another annoying example of an invisible feature in
    the user interface that you have to know about, rather than having a
    visible button or menu item to choose.

    Run App Store and go to the Updates tab.

    If an update is shown there which you never want to install, do a
    secondary click (Control-click or typically right click with a
    two-button mouse) anywhere in the item description, to get a contextual
    menu. There is a "Hide Update" option. Choose that.

    If you want to unhide the update later, the details vary depending on
    whether the item you hid was a "Software Update" or an App update.

    For Software Updates, a "Show All Software Updates..." item is added to
    the bottom of the Store menu if there are any hidden software updates.

    For App updates, you need to view your account (which can also be done
    via the Store menu), click on the "View Hidden Purchases" link, then
    click UNHIDE next to the item in the list.

    > (Not to mention the usual annoyance of App Store not showing the cost of
    > the update (how many megabytes) - have to go to the Mac Support site and
    > dig around to find it (not so much in this case @ 21 MB)).

    Yes, that's my main bugbear with Software Updates being merged into App
    Store in Mountain Lion. Furthermore, your suggested method doesn't tell
    you the correct size, as Software Update will often download a smaller
    version than the manual installer.

    There is another way to find the size of a Software Update: you can use
    the command line tool to see what updates are available and it does tell
    you how big they are. In Terminal, use this command:

    sudo softwareupdate --list

    (Note that this only tells you about software updates, not App updates.)

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Mar 7, 2013

  3. Alan Browne

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    As far as receiving a notification from Apple that there is an update
    to some software I have I just run the update, figuring that there may
    be either an increase or decrease in the memory consumed, and not
    worrying whether the update is in regards to a feature I use or not
    use, and for all I know there might be a connection that might not be
    obvious to me.

    --
    James Leo Ryan - Austin, Texas
    TaliesinSoft, Mar 7, 2013
  4. In article <1kzd7sf.127pic32mizlwN%>,
    (David Empson) wrote:

    > Alan Browne <> wrote:
    >
    > > Recently there was an AppStore update for AirPort Utility (6.2).
    > >
    > > Since I have no Airport devices I have no need for this update.
    > >
    > > Or does this update also cover the iMac AirPort (which I rarely use).

    > No, it is just the management/configuration software for AirPort base
    > stations (including Airport Express, Airport Extreme and Time Capsule).
    >
    > > The option is "Update". No option to ignore.
    > >
    > > Is there a way to get it off of the update list? (Esp. so the 'badge' on
    > > the app in the dock disappears)?

    > Yes, but it is yet another annoying example of an invisible feature in
    > the user interface that you have to know about, rather than having a
    > visible button or menu item to choose.
    >
    > Run App Store and go to the Updates tab.
    >
    > If an update is shown there which you never want to install, do a
    > secondary click (Control-click or typically right click with a
    > two-button mouse) anywhere in the item description, to get a contextual
    > menu. There is a "Hide Update" option. Choose that.
    >
    > If you want to unhide the update later, the details vary depending on
    > whether the item you hid was a "Software Update" or an App update.
    >
    > For Software Updates, a "Show All Software Updates..." item is added to
    > the bottom of the Store menu if there are any hidden software updates.
    >
    > For App updates, you need to view your account (which can also be done
    > via the Store menu), click on the "View Hidden Purchases" link, then
    > click UNHIDE next to the item in the list.
    >
    > > (Not to mention the usual annoyance of App Store not showing the cost of
    > > the update (how many megabytes) - have to go to the Mac Support site and
    > > dig around to find it (not so much in this case @ 21 MB)).

    > Yes, that's my main bugbear with Software Updates being merged into App
    > Store in Mountain Lion. Furthermore, your suggested method doesn't tell
    > you the correct size, as Software Update will often download a smaller
    > version than the manual installer.
    >
    > There is another way to find the size of a Software Update: you can use
    > the command line tool to see what updates are available and it does tell
    > you how big they are. In Terminal, use this command:
    >
    > sudo softwareupdate --list
    >
    > (Note that this only tells you about software updates, not App updates.)

    I have a different complaint. Before it became incorporated into
    AppStore, Software Update told you whether an update had already been
    downloaded in the background. If there is any straightforward way of
    finding that out now, I'd appreciate the details.
    Matthew Lybanon, Mar 7, 2013
  5. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    On 2013.03.06 21:11 , David Empson wrote:
    > Alan Browne <> wrote:
    >
    >> Recently there was an AppStore update for AirPort Utility (6.2).
    >>
    >> Since I have no Airport devices I have no need for this update.
    >>
    >> Or does this update also cover the iMac AirPort (which I rarely use).

    > No, it is just the management/configuration software for AirPort base
    > stations (including Airport Express, Airport Extreme and Time Capsule).
    >
    >> The option is "Update". No option to ignore.
    >>
    >> Is there a way to get it off of the update list? (Esp. so the 'badge' on
    >> the app in the dock disappears)?

    > Yes, but it is yet another annoying example of an invisible feature in
    > the user interface that you have to know about, rather than having a
    > visible button or menu item to choose.
    >
    > Run App Store and go to the Updates tab.
    >
    > If an update is shown there which you never want to install, do a
    > secondary click (Control-click or typically right click with a
    > two-button mouse) anywhere in the item description, to get a contextual
    > menu. There is a "Hide Update" option. Choose that.

    Perfect. Well, imperfect. But did the job. Thanks.

    Why not just add an "ignore" button (rhetorical).

    > If you want to unhide the update later, the details vary depending on
    > whether the item you hid was a "Software Update" or an App update.

    I doubt it. If I ever get (another) AirPort device that would provide
    the opportunity to bring all up to date. I returned the one I had.

    > For Software Updates, a "Show All Software Updates..." item is added to
    > the bottom of the Store menu if there are any hidden software updates.
    >
    > For App updates, you need to view your account (which can also be done
    > via the Store menu), click on the "View Hidden Purchases" link, then
    > click UNHIDE next to the item in the list.

    This is interesting. I never look at the "purchases" list. Stuff gets
    installed it works. Forget about it. Updates occur. Run it, forget
    about it.

    >> (Not to mention the usual annoyance of App Store not showing the cost of
    >> the update (how many megabytes) - have to go to the Mac Support site and
    >> dig around to find it (not so much in this case @ 21 MB)).

    > Yes, that's my main bugbear with Software Updates being merged into App
    > Store in Mountain Lion. Furthermore, your suggested method doesn't tell
    > you the correct size, as Software Update will often download a smaller
    > version than the manual installer.

    Fair enough, at least I get an idea of the size (usually). I know there
    are often discrepancies - but to the low side.

    Since my ISP caps monthly, I usually DL towards the end of the month
    when I see there is ample free BW. Or, when I purchase a "block" when
    it's clear I'll be going over, that block is usually too much (30 or 60
    GB blocks) - so I'll use up some of that for updates.

    > There is another way to find the size of a Software Update: you can use
    > the command line tool to see what updates are available and it does tell
    > you how big they are. In Terminal, use this command:
    >
    > sudo softwareupdate --list

    Got it.

    > (Note that this only tells you about software updates, not App updates.)

    The imperfect world.

    Alan Browne, Mar 8, 2013
  6. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    On 2013.03.06 23:43 , TaliesinSoft wrote:
    > As far as receiving a notification from Apple that there is an update to
    > some software I have I just run the update, figuring that there may be
    > either an increase or decrease in the memory consumed, and not worrying
    > whether the update is in regards to a feature I use or not use, and for
    > all I know there might be a connection that might not be obvious to me.

    I'm from the "ain't broke, don't fix" school. As I don't have AirPort
    devices there is nothing broke.

    It also goes against my grain to use bandwidth needlessly for downloads
    that aren't needed. The one in question is pretty trivial at 21 MB mind
    you.

    IAC, David's answer fixed the issue.

    Alan Browne, Mar 8, 2013
  7. Alan Browne

    David Empson Guest

    Alan Browne <> wrote:

    > On 2013.03.06 21:11 , David Empson wrote:
    > > Alan Browne <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> (Not to mention the usual annoyance of App Store not showing the cost of
    > >> the update (how many megabytes) - have to go to the Mac Support site and
    > >> dig around to find it (not so much in this case @ 21 MB)).

    > > Yes, that's my main bugbear with Software Updates being merged into App
    > > Store in Mountain Lion. Furthermore, your suggested method doesn't tell
    > > you the correct size, as Software Update will often download a smaller
    > > version than the manual installer.

    > Fair enough, at least I get an idea of the size (usually). I know there
    > are often discrepancies - but to the low side.

    Sometimes extremely low side: incremental updates to the next OS X
    version via Software Update have on occasion been in the order of 10% of
    the size of the manually downloaded delta update.

    I rarely use Software Update for these anyway as I download and keep a
    copy of the combo update for installing on several computers.

    > Since my ISP caps monthly, I usually DL towards the end of the month
    > when I see there is ample free BW. Or, when I purchase a "block" when
    > it's clear I'll be going over, that block is usually too much (30 or 60
    > GB blocks) - so I'll use up some of that for updates.
    >
    > > There is another way to find the size of a Software Update: you can use
    > > the command line tool to see what updates are available and it does tell
    > > you how big they are. In Terminal, use this command:
    > >
    > > sudo softwareupdate --list

    > Got it.

    Note also that the command line tool shares the same "hidden" list as
    App Store's Software Updates, but the command line uses the term
    "ignore" rather than "hide". An item hidden in App Store will not show
    up in the list of available updates for the command line tool (or vice
    versa), and you can reset hidden/ignored items from either interface
    (but have to quit and relaunch App Store for it to catch up, if you
    reset the ignore list from the command line).

    See man softwareupdate for details of the other commands.

    Also worth noting that if you hide/ignore an update, a subsequent
    version of the same update will not be hidden.

    For example, I've avoided iTunes 11 so far, and I had to re-hide it for
    11.0.1 and 11.0.2.

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Mar 8, 2013
  8. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    On 2013.03.08 02:57 , David Empson wrote:
    > Alan Browne <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 2013.03.06 21:11 , David Empson wrote:
    >>> sudo softwareupdate --list

    >> Got it.

    > Note also that the command line tool shares the same "hidden" list as
    > App Store's Software Updates, but the command line uses the term
    > "ignore" rather than "hide". An item hidden in App Store will not show
    > up in the list of available updates for the command line tool (or vice
    > versa), and you can reset hidden/ignored items from either interface
    > (but have to quit and relaunch App Store for it to catch up, if you
    > reset the ignore list from the command line).
    >
    > See man softwareupdate for details of the other commands.

    Thx, but I doubt I'll resort to that very much.

    Alan Browne, Mar 8, 2013
  9. In article <1kzd7sf.127pic32mizlwN%>,
    (David Empson) wrote:

    > Run App Store and go to the Updates tab.
    >
    > If an update is shown there which you never want to install, do a
    > secondary click (Control-click or typically right click with a
    > two-button mouse) anywhere in the item description, to get a contextual
    > menu. There is a "Hide Update" option. Choose that.
    >
    > If you want to unhide the update later, the details vary depending on
    > whether the item you hid was a "Software Update" or an App update.
    >
    > For Software Updates, a "Show All Software Updates..." item is added to
    > the bottom of the Store menu if there are any hidden software updates.

    David-

    My problem is that the one App I've purchased from the App Store, stays
    on the list of available updates after having installed it. This has
    happened each time for the last three updates. For the first time, I
    installed it again, not realizing it was the same version already
    installed.

    Your process doesn't seem to work with my one update. Nothing happens
    when I Control-Click or Right-Click anywhere in the App's description
    window under Updates. (I'm using 10.8.2.)

    If I click on Purchases, Right-Clicking brings up the option to hide
    that App. But even when invisible under Purchases, the App is still
    visible under Updates. (Right-Clicking still doesn't work.)

    Do you have any ideas? Someone else mentioned having the same problem a
    few weeks ago, but there was no resolution.

    Fred
    Fred McKenzie, Mar 11, 2013
  10. Alan Browne

    David Empson Guest

    Fred McKenzie <> wrote:

    > In article <1kzd7sf.127pic32mizlwN%>,
    > (David Empson) wrote:
    >
    > > Run App Store and go to the Updates tab.
    > >
    > > If an update is shown there which you never want to install, do a
    > > secondary click (Control-click or typically right click with a
    > > two-button mouse) anywhere in the item description, to get a contextual
    > > menu. There is a "Hide Update" option. Choose that.
    > >
    > > If you want to unhide the update later, the details vary depending on
    > > whether the item you hid was a "Software Update" or an App update.
    > >
    > > For Software Updates, a "Show All Software Updates..." item is added to
    > > the bottom of the Store menu if there are any hidden software updates.

    > My problem is that the one App I've purchased from the App Store, stays
    > on the list of available updates after having installed it. This has
    > happened each time for the last three updates. For the first time, I
    > installed it again, not realizing it was the same version already
    > installed.

    This might happen if you have two copies of the app on your computer, in
    locations where Spotlight can find them. Try using Spotlight to search
    for the app by name.

    Updating the app only updates the first copy it found. If the second one
    is an older version, it will still show up as an available update.

    That second copy may be in a different folder on your main drive, or a
    backup on a different drive (e.g. do you have a clone backup of your
    main drive, which is currently connected?)

    It shouldn't show up for Time Machine backups, since they are handled
    via an independent Spotlight index and aren't supposed to be updated by
    App Store.

    > Your process doesn't seem to work with my one update. Nothing happens
    > when I Control-Click or Right-Click anywhere in the App's description
    > window under Updates. (I'm using 10.8.2.)

    I was mainly describing the process for hiding unwanted Software
    Updates. I didn't have an App update available at the time to confirm
    whether the same mechanism worked, but based on your observation it
    appears my assumption was wrong and you cannot hide an unwanted App
    update, short of completely hiding the App (on the Purchases tab), which
    would ignore all future updates of the App.

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Mar 12, 2013
  11. In article <1kzmfrc.1iwo1qpxosmp3N%>,
    (David Empson) wrote:

    > This might happen if you have two copies of the app on your computer, in
    > locations where Spotlight can find them. Try using Spotlight to search
    > for the app by name.

    David-

    I have three hard drives. I saw your suggestion in the other thread a
    few weeks ago, and had already copied the latest version of the App into
    the other two Applications folders. It did not resolve the problem.

    What I had not tried was searching. It turns out that there was another
    copy of the App hidden in the backup of a thumb drive. Once I removed
    that copy and emptied the trash, the App Store App now says there are no
    updates!

    My other two hard drives have OS X 10.5 and 10.6, so I can run older
    programs. One thing I learned, is that if you install an update for an
    App on one of the non-booted hard drives, that drive will hang-up when
    you try to boot from it. OS X 10.8 apparently does something to the
    other HD's OS during the update process. I had to re-install 10.6 on
    one of the drives as a result!

    Fred
    Fred McKenzie, Mar 12, 2013
  12. Alan Browne

    Paul Sture Guest

    (David Empson) wrote:

    > Fred McKenzie <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <1kzd7sf.127pic32mizlwN%>,
    > > (David Empson) wrote:
    > >
    > > > Run App Store and go to the Updates tab.
    > > >
    > > > If an update is shown there which you never want to install, do a
    > > > secondary click (Control-click or typically right click with a
    > > > two-button mouse) anywhere in the item description, to get a contextual
    > > > menu. There is a "Hide Update" option. Choose that.
    > > >
    > > > If you want to unhide the update later, the details vary depending on
    > > > whether the item you hid was a "Software Update" or an App update.
    > > >
    > > > For Software Updates, a "Show All Software Updates..." item is added to
    > > > the bottom of the Store menu if there are any hidden software updates.

    > > My problem is that the one App I've purchased from the App Store, stays
    > > on the list of available updates after having installed it. This has
    > > happened each time for the last three updates. For the first time, I
    > > installed it again, not realizing it was the same version already
    > > installed.

    > This might happen if you have two copies of the app on your computer, in
    > locations where Spotlight can find them. Try using Spotlight to search
    > for the app by name.
    >
    > Updating the app only updates the first copy it found. If the second one
    > is an older version, it will still show up as an available update.
    >
    > That second copy may be in a different folder on your main drive, or a
    > backup on a different drive (e.g. do you have a clone backup of your
    > main drive, which is currently connected?)

    Interesting. I had some related confusion in this area when I had a
    demo copy of an app in my Downloads folder plus the copy I bought from
    the App Store (sitting in /Applications). This wasn't an App Store
    update problem as such, but when I tried opening it via either Spotlight
    or the "Open with" dialogue I could get the demo version by mistake.

    Deleting it from my Downloads folder solved the problem.

    > It shouldn't show up for Time Machine backups, since they are handled
    > via an independent Spotlight index and aren't supposed to be updated by
    > App Store.
    >
    > > Your process doesn't seem to work with my one update. Nothing happens
    > > when I Control-Click or Right-Click anywhere in the App's description
    > > window under Updates. (I'm using 10.8.2.)

    > I was mainly describing the process for hiding unwanted Software
    > Updates. I didn't have an App update available at the time to confirm
    > whether the same mechanism worked, but based on your observation it
    > appears my assumption was wrong and you cannot hide an unwanted App
    > update, short of completely hiding the App (on the Purchases tab), which
    > would ignore all future updates of the App.

    Is there a way to hide an App I regret getting from the App Store?
    There is one App where I felt I had wasted my money and I don't want to
    be reminded of that :)

    I did find some old instructions, but they didn't work for me.

    --
    Paul Sture
    Paul Sture, Mar 12, 2013
  13. Alan Browne

    David Empson Guest

    Paul Sture <> wrote:

    > In article <1kzmfrc.1iwo1qpxosmp3N%>,
    > (David Empson) wrote:
    >
    > > Fred McKenzie <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Your process doesn't seem to work with my one update. Nothing happens
    > > > when I Control-Click or Right-Click anywhere in the App's description
    > > > window under Updates. (I'm using 10.8.2.)

    > > I was mainly describing the process for hiding unwanted Software
    > > Updates. I didn't have an App update available at the time to confirm
    > > whether the same mechanism worked, but based on your observation it
    > > appears my assumption was wrong and you cannot hide an unwanted App
    > > update, short of completely hiding the App (on the Purchases tab), which
    > > would ignore all future updates of the App.

    > Is there a way to hide an App I regret getting from the App Store?
    > There is one App where I felt I had wasted my money and I don't want to
    > be reminded of that :)
    >
    > I did find some old instructions, but they didn't work for me.

    In App Store, go to the Purchases tab.

    Ctrl-click (or secondary/right click) anywhere within the rectangle
    surrounding the unwanted item.

    Choose "Hide Purchase..." from the contextual menu which appears.

    The App will no longer appear in the Purchases list on any Mac signed
    into the App Store using that Apple ID.

    You can unhide it later (should you desire) by going to your account
    page (e.g. Store > View My Account), clicking "View Hidden Purchases"
    then unhiding the one(s) you want to see again.

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Mar 12, 2013
  14. Alan Browne

    Lewis Guest

    In message <>
    Paul Sture <> wrote:
    > Is there a way to hide an App I regret getting from the App Store?
    > There is one App where I felt I had wasted my money and I don't want to
    > be reminded of that :)

    In the App Store app on your mac, right-click and choose "Hide"

    --
    BEWITCHED DOES NOT PROMOTE SATANISM Bart chalkboard Ep. 2F17
    Lewis, Mar 13, 2013