Apple to acquire EA, hires the creator of Gamecube's graphicsprocessor, hires Xbox exec, all in prep

Discussion in 'ATI' started by parallax-scroll, May 8, 2009.

    1. Advertising

  1. parallax-scroll

    Mattinglyfan Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. parallax-scroll

    GMAN Guest

    Re: Apple to acquire EA, hires the creator of Gamecube's graphics processor, hires Xbox exec, all in preperation to launch its own game console ?

    In article <gu1cbo$8pu$>, "Mattinglyfan" <> wrote:

    >"parallax-scroll" <> wrote in message
    >> http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=23477
    >>
    >> http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/19549/Rumor-Apple-to-Buy-Electronic-Arts/

    > http://www.thetechherald.com/article.php/200919/3591/Xbox-executive-adds-weigh
    >t-to-Apple-s-gaming-value
    >>

    > http://www.crn.com/hardware/217300359;jsessionid=QWXALWLNSD2HAQSNDLRSKH0CJUNN2
    >JVN
    >>
    >> http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10228170-37.html
    >>

    > http://www.geek.com/articles/apple/apple-eyes-twitter-and-ea-works-on-a-game-c
    >onsole-2009055/
    >>
    >> http://news.spong.com/article/17854/Apples_Game_Console_Definitely_Rumoured
    >>

    > http://seekingalpha.com/article/136076-speculating-on-the-emergence-of-an-icon
    >sole
    >>
    >> http://www.technewsworld.com/story/66979.html?wlc=1241783183
    >>

    >Sweet. Another piece of overpriced Apple equipment that screws it up for
    >everyone else.

    And apple will have claimed to invent the "Gaming Console", just like their
    claim to have invented the MP3 Player, or PDA, or the Personal Computer etc
    etc.....

    GMAN, May 8, 2009
  3. parallax-scroll

    Lunchbox Guest

    "GMAN" <> wrote in message
    > And apple will have claimed to invent the "Gaming Console", just like
    > their
    > claim to have invented the MP3 Player, or PDA, or the Personal Computer
    > etc
    > etc.....

    Apple already had a gaming console on the market years ago and it failed.
    The more the better I say. Competition is a good thing as it keeps the
    prices lower for us.

    Lunchbox, May 8, 2009
  4. parallax-scroll

    Mattinglyfan Guest

    "William" <> wrote in message

    > "Lunchbox" <> wrote in message
    >> "GMAN" <> wrote in message
    >>> And apple will have claimed to invent the "Gaming Console", just like
    >>> their
    >>> claim to have invented the MP3 Player, or PDA, or the Personal Computer
    >>> etc
    >>> etc.....
    >>>

    >> Apple already had a gaming console on the market years ago and it failed.
    >> The more the better I say. Competition is a good thing as it keeps the
    >> prices lower for us.

    > Is their any hope that Apple will throw out DRM on EA's computer games? I
    > know, I'm a fool to hope so, but I am so tired of having to have an
    > Internet connection to activate and play games I purchase for my own use
    > on my own personal computer.
    >
    > I won't buy them form EA, so I suppose it won't make any difference if I
    > don't buy them from Apple either.

    LOL. You are the only person in history who I have ever heard suggest that
    Apple is LESS restrictive than EA. Apple trails only Verizon in that
    department.

    Mattinglyfan, May 8, 2009
  5. On May 8, 10:24 am, (GMAN) wrote:
    > In article <gu1cbo$>, "Mattinglyfan" <> wrote:
    >
    > >"parallax-scroll" <> wrote in message
    > >>http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=23477

    > >>http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/19549/Rumor-Apple-to-Buy-Electronic-Arts/

    > >>http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2346013,00.asp

    > >http://www.thetechherald.com/article.php/200919/3591/Xbox-executive-a...
    > >t-to-Apple-s-gaming-value

    > >http://www.crn.com/hardware/217300359;jsessionid=QWXALWLNSD2HAQSNDLRS....
    > >JVN

    > >>http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10228170-37.html

    > >http://www.geek.com/articles/apple/apple-eyes-twitter-and-ea-works-on...
    > >onsole-2009055/

    > >>http://news.spong.com/article/17854/Apples_Game_Console_Definitely_Ru....

    > >http://seekingalpha.com/article/136076-speculating-on-the-emergence-o...
    > >sole

    > >>http://www.technewsworld.com/story/66979.html?wlc=1241783183

    > >Sweet.  Another piece of overpriced Apple equipment that screws it up for
    > >everyone else.

    > And apple will have claimed to invent the "Gaming Console", just like their
    > claim to have invented the MP3 Player, or PDA,  or the Personal Computer etc
    > etc.....

    Well...

    Depending on how you look at things, Apple *did* invent the PDA as we
    know it today. I remember when the Apple Newton first came out because
    my father brought one home due to his company (Phillips) doing some
    early work with it. It really was quite amazing for the time and was,
    well, ahead of its time.

    Prior to the Apple Newton, the pieces of technology that were the
    beginnings of what would eventually evolve into "the PDA" were more
    like souped up calculators. Do a Google search on "Casio PF-3000" and
    you'll see what I mean.

    While Apple was developing the Newton, there wasn't even a "personal
    digital assistant" class of technology, and it was an Apple executive
    who actually invented that term. If the Newton really took off,
    everyone would be talking about how Apple really did invent the PDA
    but since it was ahead of its time, it didn't do so well financially
    and was long forgotten.

    By a lesser token, Apple's claims at having invented the MP3 player
    really relies on looking at it from a particular angle. Apple most
    certainly invented the MP3 player we know today. The first really
    successful MP3 player was the Rio PMP3000 which, while technically
    cool, was a real ugly piece of crap. I hated lugging that thing around
    because it was just so damn huge. Back in those days, there wasn't a
    proliferation of wired remotes and I liked to control what music I was
    listening to at any given time so I always carried that thing in my
    hand while I was walking. Ugh.

    Anyway, that was preceded only by a Korean device that eventually made
    its way to the States under a different brand. After those two
    devices, it was the iPod and history was made. Following the iPod,
    every MP3 player began looking just like it. So did Apple invent the
    concept of an MP3 player? No. Did it invent the first device that
    looked and acted like what we all take for granted right now?
    Absolutely.

    As far as inventing the personal computer, there's no way to look at
    it to come to that conclusion in any form. I highly doubt that Apple
    ever actually said that it "invented the personal computer" without
    any sort of qualification to that statement.

    The alMIGHTY N, May 8, 2009
  6. parallax-scroll

    In article <>, Rich Billionaire <> wrote:
    >On Fri, 8 May 2009 17:00:06 -0700, "William" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I purchased my first personal computer in 1978, an Ohio Scientific with a
    >>6502 processor and 48k of ram, two 8" floppies, and a Hazeltine 1420
    >>terminal. It ran PC-DOS, pre Microsoft MS-DOS os. This was way before the
    >>Apple produced its first computer. In 1984 I went looking for a
    >>replacement. I looked at the Apple and the IBM, I decided on the IBM with
    >>an after-market Devong 5 meg hard drive installed. I wanted to get away
    >>from those floppy disks. They were such a pain in the but.

    >Wow you can actually remember all that information from prehistoric
    >times. You forgot to mention the dinosaurs and cavemen roaming around,
    >and that the computer cases were made out of stone.

    Dinosaurs and so called cavemen were separated by 65 million years or so!!!!
    LOL!

    >I hope Apple does make a gaming console. I hope they kick Sony &
    >Nintendo's ass, especially in handheld games.

    And leave precious Microsoft alone?

    GMAN, May 11, 2009
  7. parallax-scroll

    Wolfing Guest

    On May 8, 10:52 am, "Lunchbox" <> wrote:
    > "GMAN" <> wrote in message

    > > And apple will have claimed to invent the "Gaming Console", just like
    > > their
    > > claim to have invented the MP3 Player, or PDA,  or the Personal Computer
    > > etc
    > > etc.....

    > Apple already had a gaming console on the market years ago and it failed.
    > The more the better I say. Competition is a good thing as it keeps the
    > prices lower for us.

    I actually disagree with that statement. Competition in the software
    side, yes absolutely. Competition in the hardware side, not so much.
    How do these companies compete? by buying 'exclusivity contracts' from
    game companies. Already several of the games I would love to play
    have been made exclusive by Microsoft. I don't want to have to buy 5
    consoles to play the games I like, this would actually kill the
    console world and be in favor of PC gaming (sure, you may need to buy
    a $150 video card every 2-3 years, but you don't need to have 4
    computers to play different games)

    Wolfing, May 14, 2009