Are H/D coolers a good idea or overkill?

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by Doc, Jul 24, 2006.

  1. Doc

    Doc Guest

    P4 2.4 gig in a generic ATX tower, WinXP, 1 Sata, 1 IDE, NVidia GeForce FX
    5200, 1 gig ram, Pinnacle capture card, to be used primarily for video
    capture/editing.

    Besides the 80mm side case fan it came with with, I've added an 80mm intake
    and 120mm exhaust. I could be wrong but I don't sense that the PS airflow is
    going to contribute much to overall system cooling given the amount of
    airflow I can feel coming out the back of it.

    Given this system, do you feel H/D coolers would be of true benefit - i.e.
    significantly extend their life?

    1. Advertising

  2. Doc

    Doc Guest

    "Doc" <> wrote in message
    > P4 2.4 gig in a generic ATX tower, WinXP, 1 Sata, 1 IDE, NVidia GeForce FX
    > 5200, 1 gig ram, Pinnacle capture card, to be used primarily for video
    > capture/editing.

    Forgot the DVD burner.

    1. Advertising

  3. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    Is frequent cross posting necessary?

    From: "Doc" <docsavage20 xhotmail.xom>
    Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,alt.computer.workshop
    Subject: Are H/D coolers a good idea or overkill?
    Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 06:05:43 GMT

    P4 2.4 gig in a generic ATX tower, WinXP, 1 Sata, 1 IDE, NVidia GeForce FX
    5200, 1 gig ram, Pinnacle capture card, to be used primarily for video
    capture/editing.

    Besides the 80mm side case fan it came with with, I've added an 80mm intake
    and 120mm exhaust. I could be wrong but I don't sense that the PS airflow is
    going to contribute much to overall system cooling given the amount of
    airflow I can feel coming out the back of it.

    Given this system, do you feel H/D coolers would be of true benefit - i.e.
    significantly extend their life?

  4. Doc

    Doc Guest

    Apparently, since you x-posted to the exact same groups.

    And not too concerned about excess bandwidth, since not only posting the
    entire original message you also post the properties path.

    I bet top-posting also really pisses you off.

    Are YOU neccessary? No.

    *plonk*

    "John Doe" <> wrote in message
    > Is frequent cross posting necessary?

    > From: "Doc" <docsavage20 xhotmail.xom>

    alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,alt.computer.works
    hop
    > Subject: Are H/D coolers a good idea or overkill?
    > Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 06:05:43 GMT

    Jul 2006 23:05:43 PDT)

    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard:7730 alt.computer.workshop:12194

    > P4 2.4 gig in a generic ATX tower, WinXP, 1 Sata, 1 IDE, NVidia GeForce FX
    > 5200, 1 gig ram, Pinnacle capture card, to be used primarily for video
    > capture/editing.
    >
    > Besides the 80mm side case fan it came with with, I've added an 80mm

    intake
    > and 120mm exhaust. I could be wrong but I don't sense that the PS airflow

    is
    > going to contribute much to overall system cooling given the amount of
    > airflow I can feel coming out the back of it.
    >
    > Given this system, do you feel H/D coolers would be of true benefit -

    i.e.
    > significantly extend their life?

  5. Clint

    Clint Guest

    You can monitor the HD temp's (http://www.hddtemp.com/home/download.html, as
    an example) to find out if they need cooling or not.

    Clint

    "Doc" <> wrote in message
    > P4 2.4 gig in a generic ATX tower, WinXP, 1 Sata, 1 IDE, NVidia GeForce FX
    > 5200, 1 gig ram, Pinnacle capture card, to be used primarily for video
    > capture/editing.
    >
    > Besides the 80mm side case fan it came with with, I've added an 80mm
    > intake
    > and 120mm exhaust. I could be wrong but I don't sense that the PS airflow
    > is
    > going to contribute much to overall system cooling given the amount of
    > airflow I can feel coming out the back of it.
    >
    > Given this system, do you feel H/D coolers would be of true benefit -
    > i.e.
    > significantly extend their life?

  6. Carl

    Carl Guest

    I dont think they need cooling, but what i did was to put my raptor into a
    silentmaxx enclosure- that really reduced the racket it makes

  7. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    Is quoting all the headers and ranting about cross posting necessary ?

    John Doe <> wrote:
    > Is frequent cross posting necessary?

    > From: "Doc" <docsavage20 xhotmail.xom>
    > Newsgroups:
    > alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,alt.computer.workshop
    > Subject: Are H/D coolers a good idea or overkill?
    > Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 06:05:43 GMT
    > alt.comp.periphs.mainboard:7730 alt.computer.workshop:12194
    >
    > P4 2.4 gig in a generic ATX tower, WinXP, 1 Sata, 1 IDE, NVidia
    > GeForce FX 5200, 1 gig ram, Pinnacle capture card, to be used
    > primarily for video
    > capture/editing.
    >
    > Besides the 80mm side case fan it came with with, I've added an 80mm
    > intake
    > and 120mm exhaust. I could be wrong but I don't sense that the PS
    > airflow is
    > going to contribute much to overall system cooling given the amount of
    > airflow I can feel coming out the back of it.
    >
    > Given this system, do you feel H/D coolers would be of true benefit -
    > i.e.
    > significantly extend their life?

  8. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    Doc <> wrote:
    > P4 2.4 gig in a generic ATX tower, WinXP, 1 Sata, 1 IDE, NVidia
    > GeForce FX 5200, 1 gig ram, Pinnacle capture card, to be used
    > primarily for video capture/editing.
    >
    > Besides the 80mm side case fan it came with with, I've added an 80mm
    > intake and 120mm exhaust. I could be wrong but I don't sense that the
    > PS airflow is going to contribute much to overall system cooling
    > given the amount of airflow I can feel coming out the back of it.
    >
    > Given this system, do you feel H/D coolers would be of true benefit -
    > i.e. significantly extend their life?

    Unlikely unless you have the two drives mounted adjacent with
    no free space between them and you have higher room temps.

    Check the hard drive temps using Everest. I prefer to keep the drive temps
    below about 40C but 45C is unlikely to make much difference to the life.