Are laptop SATA hard drives interchangeable?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by M.L., Jan 11, 2011.

  1. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    I recently searched for a replacement for the WD2500BEVS SATA hard
    drive on my Toshiba Satellite L305-S5933 laptop and made sure to
    Google for "replacement" during my search. I found one on Amazon but
    now I'm wondering if I could have gotten by more cheaply if I had
    chosen one of their other generic 2.5" 5400 rpm SATA drives as a
    replacement. Are laptop hard drives as interchangeable as they are on
    desktops? Thanks.

    1. Advertising

  2. Hugh Newbury

    Hugh Newbury Guest

    On 11/01/11 12:53, M.L. wrote:

    > I recently searched for a replacement for the WD2500BEVS SATA hard
    > drive on my Toshiba Satellite L305-S5933 laptop and made sure to
    > Google for "replacement" during my search. I found one on Amazon but
    > now I'm wondering if I could have gotten by more cheaply if I had
    > chosen one of their other generic 2.5" 5400 rpm SATA drives as a
    > replacement. Are laptop hard drives as interchangeable as they are on
    > desktops? Thanks.

    I keep different distros on their own drives. Even Windoze on one. Good
    for experimenting. Take the battery out before swapping.

    Hugh

    1. Advertising

  3. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:,
    M.L. typed on Tue, 11 Jan 2011 06:53:48 -0600:
    > I recently searched for a replacement for the WD2500BEVS SATA hard
    > drive on my Toshiba Satellite L305-S5933 laptop and made sure to
    > Google for "replacement" during my search. I found one on Amazon but
    > now I'm wondering if I could have gotten by more cheaply if I had
    > chosen one of their other generic 2.5" 5400 rpm SATA drives as a
    > replacement. Are laptop hard drives as interchangeable as they are on
    > desktops? Thanks.

    Yes you could have. Could have even gotten a 7200 rpm one if you wanted
    too. Although some report that 7200 rpm drives get hotter than 5400 rpm
    ones. I also find this true, but only the drive itself gets hotter, not
    the whole laptop itself. For example this one is a 7200 rpm one and is
    running at 124°F just doing nothing. And the 5400 rpm one that used to
    be in here ran about 114°F. So not enough extra heat to worry about
    anyway.

    --
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Centrino Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

  4. Gerard Bok

    Gerard Bok Guest

    On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 06:53:48 -0600, M.L. <>
    wrote:

    >I recently searched for a replacement for the WD2500BEVS SATA hard
    >drive on my Toshiba Satellite L305-S5933 laptop and made sure to
    >Google for "replacement" during my search. I found one on Amazon but
    >now I'm wondering if I could have gotten by more cheaply if I had
    >chosen one of their other generic 2.5" 5400 rpm SATA drives as a
    >replacement. Are laptop hard drives as interchangeable as they are on
    >desktops? Thanks.

    Often, they are interchangable. Especially between rather cheap
    laptops.
    But be carefull: some laptops only provide space for low height
    drives. so not all models accept all laptop drives.
    (There could also be an issue with SATA 150 vs SATA 300 but I
    haven't seen any real life problems in that area.)

    --
    Kind regards,
    Gerard Bok

  5. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    >>I recently searched for a replacement for the WD2500BEVS SATA hard
    >>drive on my Toshiba Satellite L305-S5933 laptop and made sure to
    >>Google for "replacement" during my search. I found one on Amazon but
    >>now I'm wondering if I could have gotten by more cheaply if I had
    >>chosen one of their other generic 2.5" 5400 rpm SATA drives as a
    >>replacement. Are laptop hard drives as interchangeable as they are on
    >>desktops? Thanks.

    >Often, they are interchangable. Especially between rather cheap
    >laptops.
    >But be carefull: some laptops only provide space for low height
    >drives. so not all models accept all laptop drives.
    >(There could also be an issue with SATA 150 vs SATA 300 but I
    >haven't seen any real life problems in that area.)

    Thanks for all replies. I'm glad to know I have more choices than I
    thought. And I'll keep the precautions in mind.