Arrange desktop by date modified.

Discussion in 'Apple' started by dorayme, Aug 5, 2012.

  1. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    I have for years "arranged by date modified" the icons on my desktop.
    The way I had it, you couldn't move a desktop icon elsewhere (it would
    spring back when the mouse was let go). But now I can. If I deleted a
    file/icon, as I often do, it would go and all the other icons would
    move up a space, now, for a reason I am not sure, there is a hole. In
    other words, I keep having to View/Arrange By, instead of it doing it
    automatically and being a permanent setting.

    For some reason, I cannot think where the setting is to make it how I
    had it nor what quite I have done to have brought the present
    situation about.

    --
    dorayme

    1. Advertising

  2. Salvatore

    Salvatore Guest

    On 2012-08-05 02:42:23 +0000, dorayme said:

    > I have for years "arranged by date modified" the icons on my desktop.
    > The way I had it, you couldn't move a desktop icon elsewhere (it would
    > spring back when the mouse was let go). But now I can. If I deleted a
    > file/icon, as I often do, it would go and all the other icons would
    > move up a space, now, for a reason I am not sure, there is a hole. In
    > other words, I keep having to View/Arrange By, instead of it doing it
    > automatically and being a permanent setting.
    >
    > For some reason, I cannot think where the setting is to make it how I
    > had it nor what quite I have done to have brought the present
    > situation about.

    Click on an empty part of the desktop and type Command + J.

    "Sort By" is the last item in the window that opens up.

    --
    Blah blah bleh...

    GCS/CM d(-)@>-- s+:- !a C++$ UBL++++$ L+$ W+++$ w M++ Y++ b++

    1. Advertising

  3. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <jvkmtb$1fr8$>,
    Salvatore <> wrote:

    > On 2012-08-05 02:42:23 +0000, dorayme said:
    >
    > > I have for years "arranged by date modified" the icons on my desktop.
    > > The way I had it, you couldn't move a desktop icon elsewhere (it would
    > > spring back when the mouse was let go). But now I can. If I deleted a
    > > file/icon, as I often do, it would go and all the other icons would
    > > move up a space, now, for a reason I am not sure, there is a hole. In
    > > other words, I keep having to View/Arrange By, instead of it doing it
    > > automatically and being a permanent setting.
    > >
    > > For some reason, I cannot think where the setting is to make it how I
    > > had it nor what quite I have done to have brought the present
    > > situation about.

    > Click on an empty part of the desktop and type Command + J.
    >
    > "Sort By" is the last item in the window that opens up.

    Thanks for this, I kept looking at that window but failed for an
    inexplicable reason, over and over, to see the dropdown!

    Now it works as before!

    I repay my debts, have a joke:

    <http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/jokes/taxmanRabbi.html>

    --
    dorayme

  4. Fred Moore

    Fred Moore Guest

    In article <jvkmtb$1fr8$>,
    Salvatore <> wrote:

    > On 2012-08-05 02:42:23 +0000, dorayme said:
    >
    > > I have for years "arranged by date modified" the icons on my desktop.
    > > The way I had it, you couldn't move a desktop icon elsewhere (it would
    > > spring back when the mouse was let go). But now I can. If I deleted a
    > > file/icon, as I often do, it would go and all the other icons would
    > > move up a space, now, for a reason I am not sure, there is a hole. In
    > > other words, I keep having to View/Arrange By, instead of it doing it
    > > automatically and being a permanent setting.
    > >
    > > For some reason, I cannot think where the setting is to make it how I
    > > had it nor what quite I have done to have brought the present
    > > situation about.

    > Click on an empty part of the desktop and type Command + J.
    >
    > "Sort By" is the last item in the window that opens up.

    Or right click on the Desktop and select Show View Options