[Ask] Android-based laptop + need to run Win XP apps

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Umar, Jul 23, 2010.

  1. Umar

    Umar Guest

    Executive Summary:

    * Unable to cross the chasm between Windows 7 to Windows XP, driven by
    a business need. (see thread below for details) {what is means for me?
    Answer: Think Android :)}
    * Exploring whether the following innovation exists:
    * Laptop running Android OS.
    * Android software that supports, via virtualization, running
    Windows XP apps (Outlook, MS Office) [read: not Win 7 apps] as well as
    Win XP-based VPN client to connect to a corporate environment that
    still is running Win XP. Note that I am needing this type of usecase
    for "demo" purposes but rather to do my work and earn a living
    (without having to downgrade to a laptop running Win XP).
    * Have a passion for drinking the Android coolade (rather than just
    using it on a smartphone).

    --------------original thread that started in Win*land that never got
    a meaningful response*---------

    [Ask] VPN connection to Windows XP environment (without blue
    screening)
    I have a laptop running Windows 7. I need to connect and use my laptop
    (running Windows 7) in an IT environment which is still running
    Windows XP SP2.

    I have had some issues with running a Windows XP-based VPN client on
    my Windows 7 laptop, resulting in a blue screen.

    I'd like to figure out whether VMWare (or other) has a product that
    will enable me to do the following:

    * Establish a Windows XP virtualized environment on my Windows 7
    laptop (64 bit).
    * Note that I don't have a Windows XP license on my laptop (only a
    Windows 7 license).
    * Securely connect using Cisco VPN client to an IT environment that is
    still running Windows XP SP2.
    * Need to make sure that my Windows 7 laptop is unimpacted (i.e., does
    not blue screen) by any Windows XP application that I launch within
    the virtualized environment.
    * My Dell-based laptop (Latitude, D620) is a 64-bit architecture
    running Win 7 Enterprise.
    * Need to achieve secure (VPN-based) access to Win XP environment in a
    corporate setting.
    * Not for demo purposes where I am "playing" with multiple OS'es.
    * Will also need to use Win XP version of Outlook and run MS Office
    apps within virtualized Win XP environment.
    * Is there a way to leverage MS Office 2007 version of the apps
    installed in Win 7 (within the Win XP environment)?

    Can a business user (who is not technically savvy) install the product
    (assuming one exists)? What is the cost of the product?

    Thanks for any feedback.

    Long Story Short: This question is still in "discussion mode" and
    resolved as a "parking lot" issue in Win*land. The poor user (me) is
    not exactly a happy camper. Can Android come to the rescue?