    the LCD? Is there anything else it could be? I had the backlight
    replaced about a year or so ago, , but it worked OK after that. Any help
    will be appreciated. Thanks, Greg.

    GTD, Nov 16, 2007

  2. GTD

    A Nother Guest

    "GTD" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have an Acer Aspire 1800 series laptop. It had, for a few months, a
    > vertical band about 3/4 inches wide in about the middle of the left half
    > of the screen that was brighter that it should have been, and it faded and
    > returned from time to time. Now, The entire left half is screwed up, being
    > black with vertical lines, sometimes a rapidly changing array of vertical
    > lines. The right half works fine, and an attached monitor works perfectly
    > all around. Any idea what this is? Does it sound like it is the LCD? Is
    > there anything else it could be? I had the backlight replaced about a year
    > or so ago, , but it worked OK after that. Any help will be appreciated.
    > Thanks, Greg.

    More likely the solid state drive system for the LCD, in which case
    replacing the LCD won't help.

    A Nother, Nov 17, 2007

  3. GTD

    GTD Guest

    A Nother wrote:

    > "GTD" <> wrote in message
    >> I have an Acer Aspire 1800 series laptop. It had, for a few months, a
    >> vertical band about 3/4 inches wide in about the middle of the left
    >> half of the screen that was brighter that it should have been, and it
    >> faded and returned from time to time. Now, The entire left half is
    >> screwed up, being black with vertical lines, sometimes a rapidly
    >> changing array of vertical lines. The right half works fine, and an
    >> attached monitor works perfectly all around. Any idea what this is?
    >> Does it sound like it is the LCD? Is there anything else it could be?
    >> I had the backlight replaced about a year or so ago, , but it worked
    >> OK after that. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Greg.

    > More likely the solid state drive system for the LCD, in which case
    > replacing the LCD won't help.

    What do you mean by "solid state drive system"? What exactly to you
    believe is the fix?

    GTD, Nov 17, 2007
  4. GTD

    Wandering Guest

    This is definitely a warranty issue. Don't delay! There is nothing user can
    do whatever the cause, whether the video board, the display hardware drivers
    (electronics) or the display itself. Don't let your warranty expire before
    fixing this issue. It's not cheap.

    --

    Blessings & peace --- Ray

    Wandering, Nov 17, 2007
  5. GTD

    A Nother Guest

    "GTD" <> wrote in message
    >A Nother wrote:

    >> More likely the solid state drive system for the LCD, in which case
    >> replacing the LCD won't help.
    >>

    > What do you mean by "solid state drive system"? What exactly to you
    > believe is the fix?

    You need to get this fixed under warranty OR find a technician who can fault
    find on this system OR get another parts unit with a working screen you can
    have exchanged.

    A Nother, Nov 17, 2007
  6. GTD

    GTD Guest

    Wandering wrote:
    > This is definitely a warranty issue. Don't delay! There is nothing user
    > can do whatever the cause, whether the video board, the display hardware
    > drivers (electronics) or the display itself. Don't let your warranty
    > expire before fixing this issue. It's not cheap.

    It's already expired. that's why I'm trying to track it down myself. . .

    GTD, Nov 17, 2007
  7. GTD

    Wandering Guest

    Unless you are:

    1. a trained and experienced electronics technician
    2. in a position to try out replacement components at no cost
    3. able to access the parts at reasonable cost

    you aren't going to be able to run it down and fix it yourself. Now you may
    have all these attributes, and still find it cheaper to have the
    manufacturer repair the unit.

    Good luck.

    --

    Blessings & peace --- Ray

    Wandering, Nov 17, 2007
  8. GTD

    Molesworth Guest

    In article <fhndft$5ja$>,
    "Wandering" <> wrote:

    > Unless you are:
    >
    > 1. a trained and experienced electronics technician
    > 2. in a position to try out replacement components at no cost
    > 3. able to access the parts at reasonable cost
    >
    > you aren't going to be able to run it down and fix it yourself. Now you may
    > have all these attributes, and still find it cheaper to have the
    > manufacturer repair the unit.
    >
    > Good luck.

    Or put it in the cupboard with all the other dead laptops..?

    :)

    Molesworth

    Molesworth, Nov 18, 2007
  9. GTD

     Bluto Guest

    On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 19:26:51 -0600, Molesworth <>
    wrote:

    >In article <fhndft$5ja$>,
    > "Wandering" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Unless you are:
    >>
    >> 1. a trained and experienced electronics technician
    >> 2. in a position to try out replacement components at no cost
    >> 3. able to access the parts at reasonable cost
    >>
    >> you aren't going to be able to run it down and fix it yourself. Now you may
    >> have all these attributes, and still find it cheaper to have the
    >> manufacturer repair the unit.
    >>
    >> Good luck.

    >Or put it in the cupboard with all the other dead laptops..?

    Yeah, mostly Acers

     Bluto, Nov 20, 2007