    I can't see a way to open it up.

    Any advice out there?

    Molesworth

    Molesworth, Jul 8, 2007

  2. Molesworth

    Bob Fay Guest

    "Molesworth" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > My new Aspire (well, fairly new) doesn't 'see' the DVD/CD Player.

    Did it ever work?

    > I have uninstalled software drivers and XP has reloaded them on reboot.
    >
    > It tells me that it is now recognised, but when I put a DVD in, nothing
    > happens, and WMP tells me there is no disc present.

    Have you tried just a CD?

    > I can't see a way to open it up.
    >
    > Any advice out there?

    Seems like the drive, but I need to know more.
    Are there any circumstances that occurred when the drive quit working?

    > Molesworth

    Bob

    Bob Fay, Jul 8, 2007

  3. Molesworth

    Bob Fay Guest

    "Bob Fay" <> wrote in message

    > "Molesworth" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> My new Aspire (well, fairly new) doesn't 'see' the DVD/CD Player.

    My 3100 is using this Driver.
    Microsoft
    7/1/2001
    Ver 5.1.2535.0

    The drive is a Philips DVD RAM SDVD8821

    Don't know if this helps any.

    Bob Fay, Jul 8, 2007
  4. Molesworth

    Molesworth Guest

    In article <PUWji.5703$>,
    "Bob Fay" <> wrote:

    > "Molesworth" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > My new Aspire (well, fairly new) doesn't 'see' the DVD/CD Player.

    > Did it ever work?
    >

    > > I have uninstalled software drivers and XP has reloaded them on reboot.
    > >
    > > It tells me that it is now recognised, but when I put a DVD in, nothing
    > > happens, and WMP tells me there is no disc present.

    > Have you tried just a CD?
    >

    > > I can't see a way to open it up.
    > >
    > > Any advice out there?

    > Seems like the drive, but I need to know more.
    > Are there any circumstances that occurred when the drive quit working?
    > >
    > > Molesworth

    > Bob

    It recognises and plays CD's!

    In WMP it displays Japanese (?) text on a CD of English Classical Harp
    music!

    But not recognising Harry Potter (bought) DVD. "No disc in Drive 'E'"

    ?

    Molesworth

    Molesworth, Jul 8, 2007
  5. Molesworth

    doS Guest

    Potter is copyprocted, try a diff dvd,

    doS, Jul 8, 2007
  6. Molesworth

    Bob Fay Guest

    "Molesworth" <> wrote in message

    I am in the USA and my drive is set on "Region 1".

    The DVD must be from the same region as your drive setting. What country is
    your drive set for and what country is the DVD set for?

    Bob

    Bob Fay, Jul 8, 2007
  7. Molesworth

    Bob Fay Guest

    "Bob Fay" <> wrote in message

    > "Molesworth" <> wrote in message
    >
    > I am in the USA and my drive is set on "Region 1".
    >
    > The DVD must be from the same region as your drive setting. What country
    > is your drive set for and what country is the DVD set for?
    >
    > Bob

    Just in case.
    Windows XP

    Click on "Start", "Settings", "Control Panel",
    "System", Open the "Hardware" tab. Open "Device
    Manager". Click on "DVD/CD ROM Drives.
    Select the drive and right click for "properties".
    Select each tab to get all the needed information.

    Bob Fay, Jul 8, 2007
  8. Molesworth

    Molesworth Guest

    In article <n5Yji.5381$>,
    "Bob Fay" <> wrote:

    > "Molesworth" <> wrote in message
    >
    > I am in the USA and my drive is set on "Region 1".
    >
    > The DVD must be from the same region as your drive setting. What country is
    > your drive set for and what country is the DVD set for?
    >
    > Bob

    Both region 1 (I think) (I'm in New Orleans)

    Good thought that. How do I check the setting?

    Molesworth

    Molesworth, Jul 8, 2007
  9. Molesworth

    Molesworth Guest

    In article <TkYji.5384$>,
    "Bob Fay" <> wrote:

    > "Bob Fay" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Molesworth" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I am in the USA and my drive is set on "Region 1".
    > >
    > > The DVD must be from the same region as your drive setting. What country
    > > is your drive set for and what country is the DVD set for?
    > >
    > > Bob
    > >

    > Just in case.
    > Windows XP
    >
    > Click on "Start", "Settings", "Control Panel",
    > "System", Open the "Hardware" tab. Open "Device
    > Manager". Click on "DVD/CD ROM Drives.
    > Select the drive and right click for "properties".
    > Select each tab to get all the needed information.

    By George you've got it!

    :)

    No region set.

    Set to region 1.

    Insert region 1 DVD, open with VLC which says:

    'unable to open 'dvd://E:'

    In 'messages' it says:

    'main error: no suitable access module for 'dvd://E:'

    Trying a CD now:

    It plays, and displays text titles etc as it should.

    Weird.

    Molesworth

    Molesworth, Jul 8, 2007
  10. Molesworth

    > In article <TkYji.5384$>,
    > "Bob Fay" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Bob Fay" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "Molesworth" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > I am in the USA and my drive is set on "Region 1".
    >> >
    >> > The DVD must be from the same region as your drive setting. What
    >> > country

    I know nothing about VLC. Does the DVD indicate what region it is recorded
    for?

    Bob Fay, Jul 8, 2007
  11. Molesworth

    Bob Fay Guest

    "Bob Fay" <> wrote in message

    I am running Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban on my 3100 right now.
    The album says " not for sale or rental outside the US and Canada". I guess
    that is "region 1". I am using Windows Media Player. I don't know what else
    to tell you. Good Luck! The disk shows Region 1 in small print. This is on
    the disk not on the box.

    Bob Fay, Jul 8, 2007
  12. Molesworth

    Molesworth Guest

    In article <Lmdki.6206$>,
    "Bob Fay" <> wrote:

    > "Molesworth" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <TkYji.5384$>,
    > > "Bob Fay" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> "Bob Fay" <> wrote in message

    > I know nothing about VLC. Does the DVD indicate what region it is recorded
    > for?
    >
    > > Insert region 1 DVD, open with VLC which says:
    > >
    > > 'unable to open 'dvd://E:'
    > >
    > > In 'messages' it says:
    > >
    > > 'main error: no suitable access module for 'dvd://E:'
    > >
    > > Trying a CD now:
    > >
    > > It plays, and displays text titles etc as it should.
    > >
    > > Weird.
    > >
    > > Molesworth

    DVD was bought at Walmart so I assume it's region 1.

    VLC is the best media player out there. (IM and others O) but I tried
    WMP and QT as well with the same results.

    I also did a scroogle on this problem. It seems endemic to this model
    Aspire/Pioneer! And there doesn't seem to be a fix. No upgrade drivers
    available. The fact that it will play a CD but not a DVD seems odd to me
    and indicates its a software problem.

    (This laptop belongs to my wife - I've always been Mac so haven't much
    of a background in PC problem-solving).

    I read that deleting the device and rebooting might work, and I tried
    that. Then read that the PC will only search within the HDD for the
    driver, so that's no good as it only replaces like with like.

    Even the pioneer website isn't any help.

    I can't see how to replace the entire drive either. I suppose it must be
    serviceable?

    I might have to send it back to Acer.

    --
    Molesworth

    Molesworth, Jul 8, 2007
  13. Molesworth

    > In article <Lmdki.6206$>,
    > "Bob Fay" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Molesworth" <> wrote in message

    >> I know nothing about VLC. Does the DVD indicate what region it is
    >> recorded
    >> for?
    >>
    >> > Insert region 1 DVD, open with VLC which says:
    >> >
    >> > 'unable to open 'dvd://E:'
    >> >
    >> > In 'messages' it says:
    >> >
    >> > 'main error: no suitable access module for 'dvd://E:'
    >> >
    >> > Trying a CD now:
    >> >
    >> > It plays, and displays text titles etc as it should.
    >> >
    >> > Weird.
    >> >
    >> > Molesworth

    > DVD was bought at Walmart so I assume it's region 1.
    >
    > VLC is the best media player out there. (IM and others O) but I tried
    > WMP and QT as well with the same results.
    >
    > I also did a scroogle on this problem. It seems endemic to this model
    > Aspire/Pioneer! And there doesn't seem to be a fix. No upgrade drivers
    > available. The fact that it will play a CD but not a DVD seems odd to me
    > and indicates its a software problem.
    >
    > (This laptop belongs to my wife - I've always been Mac so haven't much
    > of a background in PC problem-solving).
    >
    > I read that deleting the device and rebooting might work, and I tried
    > that. Then read that the PC will only search within the HDD for the
    > driver, so that's no good as it only replaces like with like.
    >
    > Even the pioneer website isn't any help.
    >
    > I can't see how to replace the entire drive either. I suppose it must be
    > serviceable?
    >
    > I might have to send it back to Acer.
    >
    > --
    > Molesworth

    Now, I am confused. What does Pioneer have to do with Aspire 3100?

    Does "My Computer" recognize the presence of the DVD in the E drive.

    Also the //E: smacks of a Network designation. Is the Notebook on a network?
    Is this drive being shared on a network?

    Bob Fay, Jul 9, 2007
  14. Molesworth

    doS Guest

    bob, pioneer made the dvd rom in some models of acer

    doS, Jul 9, 2007
  15. Molesworth

    doS Guest

    > In article <Lmdki.6206$>,
    > "Bob Fay" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Molesworth" <> wrote in message

    >> I know nothing about VLC. Does the DVD indicate what region it is
    >> recorded
    >> for?
    >>
    >> > Insert region 1 DVD, open with VLC which says:
    >> >
    >> > 'unable to open 'dvd://E:'
    >> >
    >> > In 'messages' it says:
    >> >
    >> > 'main error: no suitable access module for 'dvd://E:'
    >> >
    >> > Trying a CD now:
    >> >
    >> > It plays, and displays text titles etc as it should.
    >> >
    >> > Weird.
    >> >
    >> > Molesworth

    > DVD was bought at Walmart so I assume it's region 1.
    >
    > VLC is the best media player out there. (IM and others O) but I tried
    > WMP and QT as well with the same results.

    what dvd playing software are you using? you need software,not just VLC...

    doS, Jul 9, 2007
  16. Molesworth

    Bob Fay Guest

    "doS" <> wrote in message
    > bob, pioneer made the dvd rom in some models of acer

    Thanks doS. I was not thinking that way.

    Bob

    Bob Fay, Jul 9, 2007
  17. Molesworth

    Bob Fay Guest

    "doS" <> wrote in message

    If you have been able to play DVDs on this computer before, and you receive
    an error message, you might be able to solve the problem by restarting your
    computer.

    If you receive an error message the first time you try to play a DVD, you
    might not have a decoder installed, or your decoder might need to be
    updated.

    In addition to your DVD-ROM drive and player software, you must have either
    a hardware or software decoder in order to play DVDs. A hardware decoder
    also requires a decoder driver. Decoders and their drivers are available
    from third-party manufacturers.

    If you have an older decoder installed, contact the manufacturer of the
    decoder to obtain an updated version that is compatible with Windows XP.

    Updated, Windows XP compatible DVD decoders are available through the
    following DVD solution providers: Solution Providers Decoder Products
    National Semiconductor Corporation Mediamatics DVD player
    MGI Software Corp. Zoran SoftDVD and MGI SoftDVD Max
    Ravisent Technologies Software CineMaster or CinePlayer 1.0
    InterVideo, Inc. WinDVD
    CyberLink Corp. PowerDVD

    I hate doing this, but it might help with what doS is talking about.

    Bob

    Bob Fay, Jul 9, 2007
  18. Molesworth

    Bob Fay Guest

    Bob Fay, Jul 9, 2007
  19. Molesworth

    Molesworth Guest

    In article <sCeki.5011$>,
    "Bob Fay" <> wrote:

    > "Molesworth" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <Lmdki.6206$>,
    > > "Bob Fay" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> "Molesworth" <> wrote in message

    > >> I know nothing about VLC. Does the DVD indicate what region it is
    > >> recorded
    > >> for?

    > > DVD was bought at Walmart so I assume it's region 1.
    > >
    > > VLC is the best media player out there. (IM and others O) but I tried
    > > WMP and QT as well with the same results.
    > >
    > > I also did a scroogle on this problem. It seems endemic to this model
    > > Aspire/Pioneer! And there doesn't seem to be a fix. No upgrade drivers
    > > available. The fact that it will play a CD but not a DVD seems odd to me
    > > and indicates its a software problem.
    > >
    > > (This laptop belongs to my wife - I've always been Mac so haven't much
    > > of a background in PC problem-solving).
    > >
    > > I read that deleting the device and rebooting might work, and I tried
    > > that. Then read that the PC will only search within the HDD for the
    > > driver, so that's no good as it only replaces like with like.
    > >
    > > Even the pioneer website isn't any help.
    > >
    > > I can't see how to replace the entire drive either. I suppose it must be
    > > serviceable?
    > >
    > > I might have to send it back to Acer.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Molesworth

    > Now, I am confused. What does Pioneer have to do with Aspire 3100?
    >
    > Does "My Computer" recognize the presence of the DVD in the E drive.
    >
    > Also the //E: smacks of a Network designation. Is the Notebook on a network?
    > Is this drive being shared on a network?

    The DVD player component in the Laptop is made by Pioneer.

    'E' drive shows up in 'My Computer'

    When I insert a DVD, it can be heard (and felt) whirring inside. but
    when I open WMP it says 'No disc', but it will play a CD and display
    title tracks etc.

    I am reading the other posts atm, and will try all suggestions.

    The list of software suppliers in an earlier message is all about either
    replacing the drive entire, or 'not found'. It's the MS help section
    from the Aspire DVD drivers page.

    I'll be back!

    :)

    --
    Molesowrth

    Molesworth, Jul 9, 2007
  20. Molesworth

    Molesworth Guest

    In article <K7hki.44$>,
    "doS" <> wrote:

    > what dvd playing software are you using? you need software,not just VLC...

    Driver version 5.1.2535.0

    There are no updates that I can find.

    Am I missing something here?

    :)