    out there managed to get a Nvidia 7950gx2 512MB to work w/the Asrock 775
    dual VSTA?

    Thanks in advance.

    Branek, Nov 6, 2007

  2. Branek

    Paul Guest

    Branek wrote:
    > Asrock is a wholly owned subsidiary of Asus, since my newserver doesn't list any
    > asrock newsgroups I'm posting this question here. I know this motherboard (the
    > Asrock 775 dual VSTA) is notoriously finicky about PCIe video cards. Has anyone
    > out there managed to get a Nvidia 7950gx2 512MB to work w/the Asrock 775
    > dual VSTA?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Motherboard BIOS compatibility is listed here.

    http://www.nvidia.com/content/geforce_gx2_sbios/us.asp

    There is an architecture diagram here for 7950GX2.

    http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2016&page=2

    The PT880/Ultra chipset, has an AGP 8X slot and a PCI Express x4
    interface. That is why the Asrock 775 dual VSTA is "finicky" about
    video, because the chipset doesn't have a full x16 lane interface.

    http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/chipsets/p4-series/comparison_p4-series.jsp

    I don't think there is any risk of damage - the only risk would be
    that it doesn't work properly. Trying to run two GPUs through
    only x4 lanes of bandwidth, is going to reduce their performance
    quite a bit.

    Paul

    Paul, Nov 6, 2007

  3. Branek

    Branek Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message news:fgpibs$umf$...
    > Branek wrote:
    >> Asrock is a wholly owned subsidiary of Asus, since my newserver doesn't
    >> list any
    >> asrock newsgroups I'm posting this question here. I know this motherboard
    >> (the
    >> Asrock 775 dual VSTA) is notoriously finicky about PCIe video cards. Has
    >> anyone
    >> out there managed to get a Nvidia 7950gx2 512MB to work w/the Asrock 775
    >> dual VSTA?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.

    > Motherboard BIOS compatibility is listed here.
    >
    > http://www.nvidia.com/content/geforce_gx2_sbios/us.asp
    >
    > There is an architecture diagram here for 7950GX2.
    >
    > http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2016&page=2
    >
    > The PT880/Ultra chipset, has an AGP 8X slot and a PCI Express x4
    > interface. That is why the Asrock 775 dual VSTA is "finicky" about
    > video, because the chipset doesn't have a full x16 lane interface.
    >
    > http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/chipsets/p4-series/comparison_p4-series.jsp
    >
    > I don't think there is any risk of damage - the only risk would be
    > that it doesn't work properly. Trying to run two GPUs through
    > only x4 lanes of bandwidth, is going to reduce their performance
    > quite a bit.
    >
    > Paul

    Thanks for the insights Paul, I think I will give up on this idea now. It's
    too bad the 8800GT's don't work on this motherboard. I guess I'll have
    to look into the 8800GTS's.

    Branek, Nov 6, 2007
  4. Branek

    Nez Guest

    ON Tue, 6 Nov 2007 10:08:47 -0800, "Branek"
    <> WROTE:

    >Thanks for the insights Paul, I think I will give up on this idea now. It's
    >too bad the 8800GT's don't work on this motherboard.

    Check out the last message at
    http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1031613520

    It looks like a new Bios is available that lets the 8800GT work on the
    ASRock 775Dual VSTA.

    Nez

    Nez, Nov 9, 2007