    On boot nothing happens - only fans running but no vga signal or disk
    activity... Any suggestions please ?

    , Dec 18, 2005

  2. Paul Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > I have just insalled an Asrock 939 Dual mainboard in my computer. I
    > have a Ati Radeon 9800 Pro AGP and AMD Athlon 3200 + 1 GB Apacer RAM.
    >
    > On boot nothing happens - only fans running but no vga signal or disk
    > activity... Any suggestions please ?

    Most likely cause, is you haven't plugged in the 2x2 square ATX12V
    power connector.

    Next most likely cause, is jumper blocks J1 through J11 have been
    changed from the factory default. Make sure the jumper blocks
    match what is shown in the manual. J1 through J11 select whether
    the motherboard uses the processor socket or the future processor
    card slot. The default jumper settings are for selecting the S939
    socket.

    The 9800Pro also has a power connector, but I think you will still
    get a warning video display, if the video card is run without
    that connected.

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 19, 2005

  3. Squigmont Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I have just insalled an Asrock 939 Dual mainboard in my computer. I
    > have a Ati Radeon 9800 Pro AGP and AMD Athlon 3200 + 1 GB Apacer RAM.
    >
    > On boot nothing happens - only fans running but no vga signal or disk
    > activity... Any suggestions please ?

    Mine did the same thing, and neither of the things that Paul had suggested
    for you were wrong on my end, so I had to RMA it. I bought it through eWiz
    and not NewEgg, so it's been a month now and I still haven't received the
    replacement. (eWiz ships it back to the factory in Asia and waits for a
    replacement from them, *then* they ship it to me. Stupid. NewEgg would have
    just send a replacement from stock right away and then dealt with the
    supplier on their end for the replacement.)

    Squigmont, Dec 19, 2005
  4. Guest

    Thanks both of you. Unfortunately everything Paul suggests is ok
    already... I'll have to return it - but I have a feeling it's got
    something to do with the PRO graphics card... Anyone knows about that ?
    It's very unclear in the manual, but there's something about "3.3 volt"
    cards not supported...

    , Dec 19, 2005
  5. RzR Guest

    wrote:
    > Thanks both of you. Unfortunately everything Paul suggests is ok
    > already... I'll have to return it - but I have a feeling it's got
    > something to do with the PRO graphics card... Anyone knows about that ?
    > It's very unclear in the manual, but there's something about "3.3 volt"
    > cards not supported...

    it should work...hell, riva tnt32 works no problem...can you test all
    the cpu, ram and video card separately in another configuration? that
    would pretty much pinpoint if its the board for sure

    RzR, Dec 19, 2005
  6. Paul Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > Thanks both of you. Unfortunately everything Paul suggests is ok
    > already... I'll have to return it - but I have a feeling it's got
    > something to do with the PRO graphics card... Anyone knows about that ?
    > It's very unclear in the manual, but there's something about "3.3 volt"
    > cards not supported...

    No, you cannot blame this on the 9800pro. I have one of those
    and have used it on two of my "1.5V only" motherboards, and it
    works just fine. The edge connector on the card is keyed, to
    prevent problems.

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 19, 2005
  7. Guest

    Guys !

    Problem solved. It seems there's a general Antec power supply problem.
    The shop installed an even better 480W supply for free - all I had to
    to was wait 45 minutes :)

    Thanks and merry x-mas to all :)

    , Dec 19, 2005
  8. Guest

    Problem solved :)

    The power supply in the Antec case was faulty - the shop installed an
    even better 480 W supply while I was waiting, so I'm A-OK by now.
    Thanks for the support !

    BTW: They told me that Antec cases have general problems with the power
    supplies - just to help u other guys with similar problems out there...

    , Dec 19, 2005
  9. Bill Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Problem solved :)
    >
    > The power supply in the Antec case was faulty - the shop installed an
    > even better 480 W supply while I was waiting, so I'm A-OK by now.
    > Thanks for the support !
    >
    > BTW: They told me that Antec cases have general problems with the power
    > supplies - just to help u other guys with similar problems out there...

    Could you < or they > be more specific about the problem with Antec
    cases/powersupplies? I haven't heard of any recent ones. The last being
    around a year ago. They're not using old stock are they?

    Bill

    Bill, Dec 19, 2005
  10. Paul Guest

    In article <>, Bill
    <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > Problem solved :)
    > >
    > > The power supply in the Antec case was faulty - the shop installed an
    > > even better 480 W supply while I was waiting, so I'm A-OK by now.
    > > Thanks for the support !
    > >
    > > BTW: They told me that Antec cases have general problems with the power
    > > supplies - just to help u other guys with similar problems out there...
    > >

    > Could you < or they > be more specific about the problem with Antec
    > cases/powersupplies? I haven't heard of any recent ones. The last being
    > around a year ago. They're not using old stock are they?
    >
    > Bill

    Well, if Antec gets a bad name, because they cannot tell the users
    why their crap does stuff like this, then it will be their own
    undoing. One of the forums I visited recently, had an Antec
    rep defending their products, and claiming nothing was wrong.
    A simple technical explanation, by either the affected motherboard
    makers, or by Antec, would clear the air. This is power after all,
    and not something high tech. A cheap scope and about 10 minutes
    work, would show who is at fault. How many other brands
    are having problem like this (failure to POST) ?

    As long as users swap supplies, and find another brand works,
    that will be all the proof we need.

    Antec contracts out the manufacturing of their supplies, and that
    is not really unusual. Many in the industry do that. All it takes,
    is for Antec to do their own Q.C. on the products, to make sure
    no bad designs ship.

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 21, 2005
  11. Bill Guest

    In article <nospam-2112050304460001@192.168.1.178>,
    says...
    > In article <>, Bill
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...
    > > > Problem solved :)
    > > >
    > > > The power supply in the Antec case was faulty - the shop installed an
    > > > even better 480 W supply while I was waiting, so I'm A-OK by now.
    > > > Thanks for the support !
    > > >
    > > > BTW: They told me that Antec cases have general problems with the power
    > > > supplies - just to help u other guys with similar problems out there...

    This in particular sounds like a case of smoke being blown up the
    original posters pantaloons.

    > > Could you < or they > be more specific about the problem with Antec
    > > cases/powersupplies? I haven't heard of any recent ones. The last being
    > > around a year ago. They're not using old stock are they?
    > >
    > > Bill

    > Well, if Antec gets a bad name, because they cannot tell the users
    > why their crap does stuff like this, then it will be their own
    > undoing. One of the forums I visited recently, had an Antec
    > rep defending their products, and claiming nothing was wrong.
    > A simple technical explanation, by either the affected motherboard
    > makers, or by Antec, would clear the air. This is power after all,
    > and not something high tech. A cheap scope and about 10 minutes
    > work, would show who is at fault. How many other brands
    > are having problem like this (failure to POST) ?
    >
    > As long as users swap supplies, and find another brand works,
    > that will be all the proof we need.

    Hmmm. User has problem. User swaps out 350W Antec PS with 450W Enermax
    PS and problem goes away. User states Antec PSs are crap.

    See the problem with this.

    Possible causes could have been:

    Original PS was bad, replacing it with another 350W Antec would have
    fixed the problem.

    Original PS has incompatability problem with other hardware. This is
    fixed in later releases of the PS and/or repair by the manufacturer.

    Loose connector on original problem. Fixed when new PS was properly
    installed.

    Original PS was underpowered for the system; a 480W any brand would
    have fixed the problem.

    > Antec contracts out the manufacturing of their supplies, and that
    > is not really unusual. Many in the industry do that. All it takes,
    > is for Antec to do their own Q.C. on the products, to make sure
    > no bad designs ship.
    >
    > Paul

    Paul, you're one of the few that usually give good technical answers
    to problems people post here.

    But you've failed to answer my questions. I repeat:

    Could you < or they > be more specific about the problem with Antec
    cases/powersupplies? I haven't heard of any recent ones. The last being
    around a year ago. They're not using old stock are they?

    You failed to give a url for the forum you refer too. I like to see
    specific problems with specific causes and remedies. I know Antec farms
    out their production for power supplies. In fact, I'd be suprised if
    they actually manufacture anything of their own instead of just
    slapping on their brand on somebody elses product. The same with their
    cases. < Not that their is anything inherently wrong with that. >

    If there is a specific problem I'd like to know about it so I can
    avoid it or figure out how to deal with it.

    I've used a number of Antec cases < and had to deal with the usb
    wiring problem > and a bunch of Antec supplies from 250W to 550W < and
    had to deal with the Abit AV8/Antec PS problem >. So if there's
    something new < to me > please say so not just 'some people are having
    problems'.

    BTW, I've used other cases and power supplies < Enlight, Enermax,
    Thermaltake, Chieftec, etc...> so my question isn't just Antec
    specific. Any hardware with any problem posted here should be done with
    as much detail as possible to aid lurkers and for future google
    searchs.

    Bill

    Bill, Dec 21, 2005