    bunch of other similair error messages, all stating i should contact my
    hardware vendor, then it blue screens.
    I updated the bios and no difference, any suggestions?

    James, May 17, 2004

  2. James

    Paul Guest

    In article <mibqc.15584$j6.278@edtnps84>, "James" <> wrote:

    > Hey i just got this mobo, hooked everything up, seems good, then when i try
    > to install windows it gives me an error message that it can't install the
    > display drivers, and to contact my hardware vendor, then it goes through a
    > bunch of other similair error messages, all stating i should contact my
    > hardware vendor, then it blue screens.
    > I updated the bios and no difference, any suggestions?

    The manual says the board uses an SIS 741GX Northbridge with
    built-in graphics core. The only hit in Google for this chip number
    mentions an ECS 741GX-M motherboard, where someone was installing
    Linux using a VESA frame buffer driver (so no help from Google).

    http://www.asrock.com.tw/support/index_manual.htm
    http://www.asrock.com.tw/Drivers/Manual/K7S41GX_UM.pdf

    There is an SIS slide set here:

    http://www.sis.com/products/chipsets/integrated/socketa/741_741g_presentation.pdf

    VGA Driver = SiS 3.54logo
    AGP Driver = SiS 1.17logo

    I would think that to start, Windows would be installing something
    similar to the VESA thing mentioned above. All graphics devices
    are supposed to support some kind of 640x480 default dumb frame
    buffer mode. It almost sounds like Windows is having some
    trouble with this ?

    Normally, you would be installing the 1.17 file and the 3.54
    file after Windows is installed. But if Windows cannot satisfy
    a default install, then maybe your next step is to find a
    graphics card, and finish the install with that. Then, try to
    install the SiS driver files on the CDROM. With an AGP card
    installed, the chipset/BIOS just might be smart enough to
    prevent you from installing those VGA/AGP files. But, it is the
    only thing I can think of right now. Even if you used a PCI
    graphics card, I would expect the BIOS to disable the builtin
    graphics, because otherwise you could install the drivers for
    that hardware later.

    There may be some fancy way to incorporate the SiS drivers with
    a Windows install disk, but that is way above my head.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, May 18, 2004

  3. James

    James Guest

    Well, when i bought this mobo, i bought a copy of windows xp pro with
    service pack one, thats the cd i was installing from. I'm trying again
    right now with another copy of windows xp(non service pack one) and oddly
    enough it seems to be working, SO FAR anyways....

    James, May 18, 2004
  4. James

    Tim Guest

    Paul,

    FYI: Updating Drivers in a slipstream installation.

    http://www.winnetmag.com/Article/ArticleID/38619/38619.html

    XP slipstream install of nForce drivers:

    http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8892

    Google Search: XP slipstream SP1 Drivers

    IE creating CD's with whatever drivers you want + Service Packs + Hotfixes.

    - Tim

    Tim, May 19, 2004