    and how it works?
    Thanks in advance.
    Max.

    Veltar, May 7, 2004

  2. Veltar

    Paul Guest

    In article <>,
    (Veltar) wrote:

    > Can someone explain me what the option "IDE DRIVING NORMAL/STRONG" does
    > and how it works?
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Max.

    The following is only a guess, as there isn't an answer on the
    Asus FAQ page or in an Asus manual, like the P4SDX board that
    also uses a 963L Southbridge.

    Driving strength on busses, is adjusted according to the load
    on the bus and attempting to best match the impedance of the
    line. This is done to give the best signal quality. As end
    users, we aren't able to guess as to what such a setting
    should be adjusted to, especially as we have no way of
    observing how well the interconnect on the computer is
    actually working.

    I would stick with "Normal", unless you are seeing some problem
    with the disk. Mixing a setting of "Strong" while using a
    40 wire, instead of 80 wire IDE cable, would be asking for
    trouble. (That is because the 40 wire IDE cable has inferior
    transmission properties, higher crosstalk etc, and a setting
    of "Strong" would only make it worse.)

    The BIOS interface on the P4SDX has a setting called "IDE
    Drive Strength Tuning", implying the BIOS will analyse the
    situation and set the IDE interfaces to "Normal" or "Strong"
    on its own. That makes more sense, as the manufacturer knows
    more about the electrical properties than we do.

    There are a number of BIOS parameters, that have no business
    being exposed in the BIOS screens. These are the parameters
    that should be set by the engineers doing the design, and
    not the end user. I guess marketing must count each of these
    settings as a "feature". In cases like this, use the default
    defined by the BIOS.

    Sorry for the waffle answer,
    Paul

    Paul, May 8, 2004

  3. Veltar

    Veltar Guest

    (Paul) wrote in message news:<nospam-0705041912130001@192.168.1.177>...

    > The following is only a guess.........

    > Sorry for the waffle answer,
    > Paul

    Thanks a lot Paul, i think i understood. :eek:)

    Veltar, May 9, 2004