ASRock K7V4A+ overclock snag

Discussion in 'ASRock' started by Martin, Nov 28, 2004.

  1. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Hi,

    I'm using the above mobo with an Athlon XP 3000+ CPU. I've wired the CPU
    pins as per the guidance at Tom's hardware. I've set the jumpers on the
    mobo to give a multiplier of 15. However, the CPU frequency in BIOS is
    still showing default (about 2169 from memory), when it should be 2500. A
    quick check with a couple CPU ID utilities shows the multiplier at default
    13. The frequency is also at default of course.

    Has anyone successfully done this? Am I missing something obvious?

    Thanks

    Martin

    Bye
    Martin <> Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:15:13 +0100

    Martin, Nov 28, 2004

  2. Martin

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:24:18 +0100, Martin wrote:

    > I'm using the above mobo with an Athlon XP 3000+ CPU. I've wired the CPU
    > pins as per the guidance at Tom's hardware.

    This maens absolutely nothing unless you give a link to what you are
    talking about.

    > I've set the jumpers on the mobo to give a multiplier of 15.

    Then why did you do something from Toms? If you r MB supports multiplier
    control, that's all you need to change to increase the speed, assuuming
    your cpu isn't locked, which it likely is.

    > However, the CPU frequency in BIOS is still showing default (about 2169
    > from memory), when it should be 2500. A quick check with a couple CPU ID
    > utilities shows the multiplier at default 13. The frequency is also at
    > default of course.

    And this pretty much confirms that you have a locked CPU.

    > Has anyone successfully done this? Am I missing something obvious?

    If the cpu is locked, raise FSB to increase speed. You should be able to
    get at least 180MHz. out of the FSB. If you don't have the ability to
    change it, you're basically stuck at a default speed. Beaware that
    changing the FSB will also affect other buses on the system and you will
    need to take appropriate action. You will also probably need to raise
    vcore.

    Wes Newell, Nov 29, 2004

  3. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Reply to message from Wes Newell <> (Mon, 29 Nov
    2004 01:04:23) about "Re: ASRock K7V4A+ overclock snag":

    WN> On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:24:18 +
    WN> 0100, Martin wrote:

    >> I'm using the above mobo with an Athlon XP 3000+ CPU. I've wired the
    >> CPU pins as per the guidance at Tom's hardware.

    WN> This maens absolutely nothing unless you give a link to what you are
    WN> talking about.

    If you don't know what I'm talking about, you can't help me.

    >> I've set the jumpers on the mobo to give a multiplier of 15.

    WN> Then why did you do something from Toms? If you r MB supports
    WN> multiplier control, that's all you need to change to increase the
    WN> speed, assuuming your cpu isn't locked, which it likely is.

    That's why you wire the pins - to unlock it. Then you have to change the
    multiplier to a number higher than default.

    >> However, the CPU frequency in BIOS is still showing default (about 2169
    >> from memory), when it should be 2500. A quick check with a couple CPU
    >> ID utilities shows the multiplier at default
    >> 13. The frequency is also at default of course.

    WN> And this pretty much confirms that you have a locked CPU.

    Quite. But it shouldn't be locked as I've wired the T3 pins...

    >> Has anyone successfully done this? Am I missing something obvious?

    WN> If the cpu is locked, raise FSB to increase speed. You should be able
    WN> to get at least 180MHz. out of the FSB. If you don't have the ability
    WN> to change it, you're basically stuck at a default speed. Beaware that
    WN> changing the FSB will also affect other buses on the system and you
    WN> will need to take appropriate action. You will also probably need to
    WN> raise vcore.

    Thanks, I know all of the above, but the best way to overclock this CPU is
    to unlock the CPU's multiplier. I've followed the documented procedure, but
    for some unkown reason it isn't working. I was hoping to find someone in
    here who'd been through the same procedure. I appreciate you trying to
    help, but I don't think you needed to start by criticising my question,
    which was perfectly clear to anyone who has tricked the multiplier on an
    Athlon 3000+!

    Regards

    Martin

    WN> --
    WN> Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB) http://
    WN> mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm

    Bye
    Martin <> Mon, 29 Nov 2004 21:48:39 +0100

    Martin, Nov 29, 2004
  4. Martin

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 21:58:58 +0100, Martin wrote:

    > Reply to message from Wes Newell <> (Mon, 29 Nov
    > 2004 01:04:23) about "Re: ASRock K7V4A+ overclock snag":
    >
    > WN> On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:24:18 +
    > WN> 0100, Martin wrote:
    >
    > >> I'm using the above mobo with an Athlon XP 3000+ CPU. I've wired the
    > >> CPU pins as per the guidance at Tom's hardware.

    > WN> This maens absolutely nothing unless you give a link to what you are
    > WN> talking about.
    >
    > If you don't know what I'm talking about, you can't help me.

    Then no one can help you.

    > >> I've set the jumpers on the mobo to give a multiplier of 15.

    > WN> Then why did you do something from Toms? If you r MB supports
    > WN> multiplier control, that's all you need to change to increase the
    > WN> speed, assuuming your cpu isn't locked, which it likely is.
    >
    > That's why you wire the pins - to unlock it. Then you have to change the
    > multiplier to a number higher than default.

    I guess you don't understand. You can't unlock a locked 3000+ cpu. There's
    only one thing you can do to unlock the multipliers and that to turn it
    into a mobile cpu and change default startup values. You do this by doing
    some bridge work on the CPU itself. Now since there probably over a
    hundred guides at Tom's how in the hell is anyone supposed to know which
    one you were talking about. Now if you would give a link to the mod you
    are trying to do, I will tell you if it will work or not in your case.
    otherwise, you're just pissing into the wind.

    >> However, the CPU frequency in BIOS is still showing default (about
    > >> 2169 from memory), when it should be 2500. A quick check with a
    > >> couple CPU ID utilities shows the multiplier at default 13. The
    > >> frequency is also at default of course.

    > WN> And this pretty much confirms that you have a locked CPU.
    >
    > Quite. But it shouldn't be locked as I've wired the T3 pins...

    What T3 pins? Are you talking about the L3 bridges? They have no effect on
    a locked Tbred or Barton or later core.

    > Thanks, I know all of the above, but the best way to overclock this CPU
    > is to unlock the CPU's multiplier. I've followed the documented
    > procedure, but for some unkown reason it isn't working. I was hoping to
    > find someone in here who'd been through the same procedure. I appreciate
    > you trying to help, but I don't think you needed to start by criticising
    > my question, which was perfectly clear to anyone who has tricked the
    > multiplier on an Athlon 3000+!

    Again, what documented procedure are you talking about? I don't know how
    you think someone can help you if you don't give a link to what you have
    done or a detailed explanation of what you have done. Has anyone else
    jumped in here and replied to help you? Give me that info and I'l help,
    otherwise......

    Wes Newell, Nov 30, 2004
  5. Martin

    sdlomi2 Guest

    "Martin" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm using the above mobo with an Athlon XP 3000+ CPU. I've wired the CPU
    > pins as per the guidance at Tom's hardware. I've set the jumpers on the
    > mobo to give a multiplier of 15. However, the CPU frequency in BIOS is
    > still showing default (about 2169 from memory), when it should be 2500. A
    > quick check with a couple CPU ID utilities shows the multiplier at default
    > 13. The frequency is also at default of course.
    >
    > Has anyone successfully done this? Am I missing something obvious?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Martin
    >

    > Bye
    > Martin <> Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:15:13 +0100
    >
    > === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

    Martin, PLEASE cooperate with Wes--if anyone in here can help you, he
    can. I've been participating--mostly learning--in this group for 2-3 years.
    And, Wes Newell, you'll eventually find, probly knows as much and is as
    willing to share & help as ANYONE in the group. My 2 cents & often worth
    every dime! Good luck. s
    sdlomi2, Nov 30, 2004
  6. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Reply to message from "sdlomi2" <> (Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:04:
    02) about "Re: ASRock K7V4A+ overclock snag":

    s> "Martin" <> wrote in message news:1101669858@martin.
    s> scotland.org...
    >> Hi,

    >> I'm using the above mobo with an Athlon XP 3000+ CPU. I've wired the
    >> CPU pins as per the guidance at Tom's hardware. I've set the jumpers on
    >> the mobo to give a multiplier of 15. However, the CPU frequency in BIOS
    >> is still showing default (about 2169 from memory), when it should be
    >> 2500. A quick check with a couple CPU ID utilities shows the multiplier
    >> at default
    >> 13. The frequency is also at default of course.

    >> Has anyone successfully done this? Am I missing something obvious?

    >> Thanks

    >> Martin

    >> Bye
    >> Martin <> Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:15:13 +0100

    >> === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

    s> Martin, PLEASE cooperate with Wes--if anyone in here can help you, he
    s> can. I've been participating--mostly learning-- in this group for 2-3
    s> years. And, Wes Newell, you'll eventually find, probly knows as much
    s> and is as willing to share
    s> & help as ANYONE in the group. My 2 cents & often worth every dime!
    s> Good luck. s

    Thanks for the heads up, and it's probably just me being touchy, but I
    don't care for his tone so I'll just have to do without the benefit of his
    knowledge. I take the view that this is all meant to be fun, so I can do
    without someone snapping at me. He was right about me typing T3 instead of
    L3 though...

    ;> )

    Regards

    Martin

    Bye
    Martin <> Tue, 30 Nov 2004 21:43:59 +0100

    Martin, Nov 30, 2004
  7. Martin

    JT Guest

    Wes, ease up a tad man, he's doing the bridgework by wiring the pins. READ
    the question first before your start unloading on him.
    You criticize him for not pointing to a link, I would say this , if you
    need the link for reference to what he's talking about, your clearly not in
    a position to help him since he's looking for people that has experience
    with this hack to assist him and when it comes to this, you clearly don't.
    No offense, but some questions are better left unanswered rather than
    answered incorrectly.

    No blast me for pointing out the obvious.

    JT, Dec 3, 2004
  8. Martin

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 03:42:39 +0000, JT wrote:

    > Wes, ease up a tad man, he's doing the bridgework by wiring the pins.
    > READ the question first before your start unloading on him.

    Christ, as I told him, you can't change the multiplier using the pins or
    even on the CPU, of a locked cpu.

    > You criticize him for not pointing to a link, I would say this , if you
    > need the link for reference to what he's talking about, your clearly not
    > in a position to help him since he's looking for people that has
    > experience with this hack to assist him and when it comes to this, you
    > clearly don't. No offense, but some questions are better left unanswered
    > rather than answered incorrectly.

    My wifes car failed inspection 2 days ago. I did what they said at Tom's
    auto. Why didn't it work? Not much different than what he wrote.

    > No blast me for pointing out the obvious.

    WTF is that supposed to mean. There's about 50 fricking different hacks.
    Now htf am I supposed know which one he's talking about when he doesn't
    even know wtf he's talking about. I wasn't crticizing him . I was trying
    to get him to give enough info so myself or someone else could help him.
    And I 've yet to see anyone do that. WTF didn't you help him. COuld it be
    because you didn't know wtf he was doing either?:) I think he got enough
    out of my last post to him to get him on the right track, but I not sure.
    Seems he thinks I'm too hard talking or somnething. maybe an ass. I've
    known lot's of people that think that until I actually show them wtf
    they're doing wrong. Some of them still think I'm an ass. i don't care.
    Don't have time to sweet talk sensitive people. Just give me all the facts
    and I'll give you the answer if I know it. And more than likely, I will.

    Wes Newell, Dec 3, 2004
  9. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Wes Newell wrote:
    > On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 03:42:39 +0000, JT wrote:
    >
    >> Wes, ease up a tad man, he's doing the bridgework by wiring the
    >> pins. READ the question first before your start unloading on him.

    > Christ, as I told him, you can't change the multiplier using the pins
    > or even on the CPU, of a locked cpu.
    >
    >> You criticize him for not pointing to a link, I would say this , if
    >> you need the link for reference to what he's talking about, your
    >> clearly not in a position to help him since he's looking for people
    >> that has experience with this hack to assist him and when it comes
    >> to this, you clearly don't. No offense, but some questions are
    >> better left unanswered rather than answered incorrectly.
    >>

    > My wifes car failed inspection 2 days ago. I did what they said at
    > Tom's auto. Why didn't it work? Not much different than what he wrote.

    It is different from what I posted. A better analogy would be, I swapped the
    front and rear pads like they said at Tom's auto. Do you see the difference?

    >> No blast me for pointing out the obvious.
    >>

    > WTF is that supposed to mean. There's about 50 fricking different
    > hacks. Now htf am I supposed know which one he's talking about when
    > he doesn't even know wtf he's talking about. I wasn't crticizing him
    > . I was trying to get him to give enough info so myself or someone
    > else could help him. And I 've yet to see anyone do that. WTF didn't
    > you help him. COuld it be because you didn't know wtf he was doing
    > either?:) I think he got enough out of my last post to him to get
    > him on the right track, but I not sure. Seems he thinks I'm too hard
    > talking or somnething. maybe an ass. I've known lot's of people that
    > think that until I actually show them wtf they're doing wrong. Some
    > of them still think I'm an ass. i don't care. Don't have time to
    > sweet talk sensitive people. Just give me all the facts and I'll give
    > you the answer if I know it. And more than likely, I will.

    Not a problem. As you may have noticed, I chose to proceed without your
    help. This is a hobby for me, so I don't need anyone snapping at me no
    matter how capable they may be.

    BTW, I may not care for your tone, but I'm sure you are not an ass.

    Regards

    Martin
    Martin, Dec 3, 2004
  10. Martin

    JT Guest

    Correct. I do not know, that's why I didn't try to answer a question I was
    not familiar with, unlike some people.

    You've got time to post endless messages on this subject, but no time to be
    halfway civil? o.k. If you say so. I'd say cut back on volume of messages a
    tad and use just a slightly more tactful tone when asking for more
    information and you'll get far more appreciation for your efforts.
    Rather than writing all that inflammatory nonsense the first time, why not
    just say, "Send us the link and we'll try to help ya out" ?
    oh yea that's right, no time for that nonsense.
    good day,
    JT

    JT, Dec 3, 2004