Asrock or Epox?

Discussion in 'ASRock' started by Keith Dawson, Mar 2, 2004.

  1. Keith Dawson

    Keith Dawson Guest

    I am planning to upgrade my PC with a low-end mobo and Athlon XP, but
    cannot decide if it is wiser to save some on the mobo to spend on more
    RAM or a faster processor, or go for a better spec'd mobo knowing the
    others can be more easily upgraded.
    I had in mind an Asrock K7S8X, K7S8XE+ or an Epox 8RDAE to get a Nforce2
    chipset, is there any advantages, e.g. if eventually I get to unlock a
    Barton?
    TIA
    Keith

    1. Advertising

  2. Wes Newell

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 22:01:30 +0200, Keith Dawson wrote:

    > I am planning to upgrade my PC with a low-end mobo and Athlon XP, but
    > cannot decide if it is wiser to save some on the mobo to spend on more
    > RAM or a faster processor, or go for a better spec'd mobo knowing the
    > others can be more easily upgraded.
    > I had in mind an Asrock K7S8X, K7S8XE+ or an Epox 8RDAE to get a Nforce2
    > chipset, is there any advantages, e.g. if eventually I get to unlock a
    > Barton?

    The plain K7S8X or XE doesn't have multiplier controls. The X/XE R30 and +
    models do. You can also increase default vcore by 5% in the bios with
    these models and the + model also has SATA raid. The + model around $50 is
    going to be hard to beat.

  3. Keith Dawson wrote:

    > I am planning to upgrade my PC with a low-end mobo and Athlon XP, but
    > cannot decide if it is wiser to save some on the mobo to spend on more
    > RAM or a faster processor, or go for a better spec'd mobo knowing the
    > others can be more easily upgraded.
    > I had in mind an Asrock K7S8X, K7S8XE+ or an Epox 8RDAE to get a Nforce2
    > chipset, is there any advantages, e.g. if eventually I get to unlock a
    > Barton?
    > TIA
    > Keith

    I'm looking at getting a micro-ATX EpOX - its got good overclocking
    abilities. 512M RAM is relatively cheap these days.

    gtoomey