    like to put in it now until I get some more money for a new card. The board
    specs say it's 8x. The ATI is 4x. Does anyone know if it's backward
    compatible?

    Spark, Oct 13, 2004

  2. Spark

    Karl Guest

    Spark wrote:

    > I'm looking at a Asrock P4V88 Raid MB and I have a ATI 8500 card that I'd
    > like to put in it now until I get some more money for a new card. The
    > board specs say it's 8x. The ATI is 4x. Does anyone know if it's backward
    > compatible?

    Says on website and manual 1 AGP slot, supports 1.5V, 8X/4X, so you should
    be OK. A quick google turned up the link below, which may prove useful

    http://www.ertyu.org/~steven_nikkel/agpcompatibility.html

    Hope this helps
    Karl

    Karl, Oct 13, 2004

  3. Spark

    Paul Guest

    In article <m4ibd.17114$>, "Spark"
    <> wrote:

    > I'm looking at a Asrock P4V88 Raid MB and I have a ATI 8500 card that I'd
    > like to put in it now until I get some more money for a new card. The board
    > specs say it's 8x. The ATI is 4x. Does anyone know if it's backward
    > compatible?

    To start, there are the ATI info pages:

    http://mirror.ati.com/support/faq/agpchart.html
    http://www.ati.com/support/agpchart/agp.html

    The ATI8500 is universal 3.3V, 1.5V. That means it will request 1.5V
    from the motherboard, but will accept 3.3V operation if that is the
    only voltage the motherboard support.

    Since it supports 1.5V, it has a slot cut in the edge of the board
    that matches up with a 1.5V key in the AGP slot. As long as you can
    plug it in, it will not damage anything.

    For AGP 8X, the signal levels are 0.8V, but the I/O drivers are
    powered by 1.5V to do it. That means, AFAIK, that no motherboard
    actually has a 0.8V power supply for AGP. It also means your 4X
    card, which can run from 1.5V, will be perfectly happy on the board.

    Also, from the Asrock manual:

    http://www.asrock.com.tw/Drivers/Manual/P4V88_UM.pdf

    "AGP Mode
    The default value of this feature is set to [Auto ].

    If you install an 8X-AGP card on this motherboard,you may select
    [Auto ],[8X ] or [4X ] as the AGP mode.

    If the installed AGP card is a 4X-AGP card,then you may set the
    AGP mode as [Auto ],[4X ],[2X ],or [1X ]."

    so you cqn see they were planning for cards like your ATI 8500.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Oct 14, 2004
  4. Spark

    DaveW Guest

    You DO realize this is an ASUS newsgroup; not Asrock?

    --
    DaveW

    DaveW, Oct 14, 2004
  5. Spark

    Spark Guest

    Oh...the newsgroup police.....I was told that the Asrock was owned and
    manufactured by Asus......excuuuuuuusssssseeeee me if I am wrong. But did I
    get answers from some great people...yes...from you I got BS....

    Spark, Oct 14, 2004