  1. BoB

    BoB Guest

    Anyone?

    BoB, Feb 24, 2004

  2. BoB

    John Tindle Guest

    No Thanks.

    "BoB" <> wrote in message
    news:h%F_b.37324$...
    > Anyone?

    John Tindle, Feb 24, 2004

  3. BoB

    rstlne Guest

    > Anyone?

    Wont be many..
    What's the problem.. What's the board..

    rstlne, Feb 24, 2004
  4. BoB

    BoB Guest

    "rstlne" <.@.> wrote in message
    news:f6K_b.10939$...
    > > Anyone?
    > >

    > Wont be many..
    > What's the problem.. What's the board..

    Newest, I ordered a non-serial 400fsb k7s8xe, newegg sent the + version,
    50$, no problem now, getting the ide drivers optimized was a trick, my plex
    708
    is burning faster than on an asus intel or via chipset mobo. SiS must be
    really
    getting it together.

    BoB, Feb 24, 2004
  5. Enjoy it while it lasts, see you in a years time when the warrenty runs out.

    David

    David McDonald, Feb 24, 2004
  6. BoB

    BoB Guest

    Try collecting any warranty after a year, the only ones I have bothered with
    are high dollar hard drives, mostly ibm's.
    You think Asus is gonna replace a 180$ mobo after a year, good luck!
    This asrock has been a lot less hassle than the a7v333r and p4c800e-del
    to set up at a third the price,
    "When moving onto the Best Socket A Board Cost/Performance Ratio 2003,
    ASrock with 30.5% of votes, snuck past Abit on 30.3%. Abit looked to have
    this Award with the little brother of the NF7-2, the non Sata NF7. At the
    last hurdle, the ASrock K7S8X-E bounded ahead, relying on the SIS 748
    Chipset and its' budget price to stick a nose in front at the camera.
    Reliable, speedy, and a reasonable overclocker, this Mainboard has been a
    solid release for ASrock, one of the best overall Mainboard companies of
    2003 in my opinion. The ECS L7S7A2, an SIS 746 Chipset product , snared
    third place way down the scales on 9.9% of Members Votes."

    http://www.ocworkbench.com/2004/articles/readersaward2003-2.htm

    and that was the model without serial raid!!!!!!!!!

    BoB, Feb 25, 2004

    Philip Callan, Feb 25, 2004

    Philip Callan, Feb 25, 2004
  9. BoB

    BoB Guest

    So now the SiS serial raid controller is a clone of intel designed
    standards, BULLSHIT!
    If I am not mistaken they were the first true, pure serial controller!

    "Philip Callan" <> wrote in message

    BoB, Feb 25, 2004
  10. BoB

    BoB Guest

    Philip Callan, Feb 25, 2004

    Philip Callan, Feb 25, 2004
  13. BoB

    Paul Guest

    In article <39X_b.88614$>,
    "BoB" <> wrote:

    > "Philip Callan" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > BoB wrote:
    > > | Try collecting any warranty after a year, the only ones I have
    > > bothered with
    > > | are high dollar hard drives, mostly ibm's.
    > > | You think Asus is gonna replace a 180$ mobo after a year, good luck!
    > > | This asrock has been a lot less hassle than the a7v333r and p4c800e-del
    > > | to set up at a third the price,
    > >
    > > Do not compare Asrock with ASUS quality, do not compare prices between a
    > > ~ low end asrock motherboard, to a top end (p4c800-e) asus, please
    > > compare it to the class of boards it belongs in which is 'value' chipset
    > > boards.
    > >
    > > Why would I need to collect a warranty? I've yet to have a ASUS fail on
    > > me (home machines) and whenever I've had a clients board go down, I
    > > throw in the spare, and ship the other one off, end up with a free board
    > > when RMA does come.
    > >
    > > You are shipping these things overseas, and there are steps they have to
    > > go through as well, you would be suprised how many boards are RMA'd
    > > becuase 'IT DONT WORK WITH MY WINDOWS' and they have had something
    > > mis-configured in the BIOS, or simply lacked the driver, both of which
    > > is remedied by READING the manual.
    > >
    > > And the ASROCK board has 1/3 less features than the a7v33r or
    > > p4c800e-del, of course it will be more 'hassle' to setup, there is more
    > > to get setup properly.
    > >
    > > RTFM, no offense intended, because in ASUS's case is
    > > 'READ THE FANTASTIC MANUAL!'
    > >
    > > | "When moving onto the Best Socket A Board Cost/Performance Ratio 2003,
    > > | ASrock with 30.5% of votes, snuck past Abit on 30.3%.
    > >
    > > And edged past? .2%? what 3 more people clicked on the web poll? you
    > > have to take how many people they polled, and discount some for those
    > > who voted each time they went to the page (for all vendors)
    > >
    > > If you want to see true Cost/Performance and TCO figures, you would have
    > > to subscribe to one of the larger trade magazines, and get more reliable
    > > figures.
    > >
    > > Philip
    > > Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (MingW32)
    > >

    > I have seen the numbers of boards shipped, Asrock is getting a big push from
    > Asus, they are a subsidiary, and as for features I have built all three and
    > only
    > 2-3 come to mind that would seem significant, but hardly necessary to the
    > vast majority of computer users. The bios is the big difference. It's
    > simple.
    > That Asus quality and name is what blew ECS out of the water with the
    > Asrock line. The P4c800E-del's bios is a nightmare, ours keeps wanting to
    > boot to a damn external hard drive if it's powered on, bios settings or not!

    It is silly to come into an enthusiast group and ask whether they are
    interested in motherboards with BIOS that have no customization
    capabilities. I'm sure the Asrock boards are good for volume
    deployments in business desktops, and as long as you figure out
    what the recipe is to get it running well, you'll save your business
    a lot of money.

    For enthusiasts, they don't have time and a dozen identical motherboards,
    to use to test what are the best mix of components, to get a working
    system. A motherboard with adjustable Vcore, Vdimm, Vagp, and
    memory timing, allows marginal combinations to be tuned up, and that is
    what you are paying for. (It is not the material cost of those features,
    it is the price the market will bear.)

    As for the behavior of the BIOS on the P4C800 and other boards
    like it, you can blame that on the AMI BIOS. I don't understand the
    reasons for going with AMI, but it seems to be taking an inordinate
    amount of time to beat the bugs out of the UI. You'd almost swear
    that AMI was fixing the mistakes, instead of Asus. The Award BIOSes
    seemed to be a lot less trouble.

    After playing with a motherboard with a vanilla BIOS before Christmas,
    it comes as a shock not to find any adjustments. Especially if you
    buy CAS2 memory, and the BIOS sets it to CAS2.5, and there is nothing
    you can do about it.

    As for the arguments about chipsets designed by Intel, SIS, Via and
    the like, the design part of the process is the easy part. Most
    of design, in terms of manpower, is the verification effort that
    goes into proving all the modules in a chip work properly. In the
    case of Via, and perhaps Ali, I get the impression that they
    didn't know how to do high speed testing at the factory, to weed
    out marginal AGP interfaces, and that is one reason the chips suck.
    Also, the practice of reusing modules, from one chipset into another,
    is fine if the modules actually work properly, but it is a disaster
    if the same bug is propagated from chipset to chipset. The
    verification part is what makes or breaks a reputation, and once
    people are soured on a chipset vendor, it is very hard to earn
    that trust back. SIS may be better than they used to be, but
    few people are willing to find out.

    As for peripheral chips, I would avoid any companies product that
    has just entered a new marketplace. Like a Via RAID chip for example.

    When discussing SATA interfaces, the most risky part of the
    implementation, is who manufactures the chips (TSMC, IBM, etc)
    and do they have a working 1.5Gbs diff driver that works well enough
    to drive data error free to the disk. The logic inside the chip is
    probably considered trivial by the designers, whether they are at
    Intel, or elsewhere.

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 25, 2004
  14. BoB

    rstlne Guest

    > It is silly to come into an enthusiast group and ask whether they are
    > interested in motherboards with BIOS that have no customization
    > capabilities. I'm sure the Asrock boards are good for volume
    > deployments in business desktops, and as long as you figure out
    > what the recipe is to get it running well, you'll save your business
    > a lot of money.

    Actually this is alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus IE: Just another
    motherboard group..
    Asrock is the Cheap line Asus boards so I would say that this probably was a
    good place for him to start..

    rstlne, Feb 25, 2004
  15. BoB

    rstlne Guest

    > sorry for the confusion
    > Philip

    It's okay, We know that you have no effin clue as to what's going on

    rstlne, Feb 25, 2004

    Philip Callan, Feb 25, 2004
  17. BoB

    BoB Guest

    > | That Asus quality and name is what blew ECS out of the water with the
    > | Asrock line. The P4c800E-del's bios is a nightmare, ours keeps wanting

    > | boot to a damn external hard drive if it's powered on, bios settings
    > or not!
    >

    > I use 1014, 0 problems, 4 months damn near 24/7 (well, shipped 1008,
    > upgraded to 1010 (heard 11 had problems), waited, went to 1014 after a
    > few weeks, 0 problems) try shifting back.
    > Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (MingW32)

    Our's needs flashing, we bought refurb, from newegg over 6 months ago.
    Of course my a7v333R(also refurb), went screwy several months after
    the 018 beta bios and upgrade to a amd 2400+, it's posting fine with a
    amd2100+.
    Color me yellow, vbg!

    BoB, Feb 25, 2004
  18. BoB

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 06:08:37 +0000, BoB wrote:

    > So now the SiS serial raid controller is a clone of intel designed
    > standards, BULLSHIT!
    > If I am not mistaken they were the first true, pure serial controller!

    The best thing for you to do is ignore these morons and go somewhere where
    people know what they're doing. I've had MB's from probably every
    manufacturer there is at one time or another. There is no difference in
    quality. The difference is the features(sometimes), the name, and the
    money you pay for it. I just subscribed to this group a few minutes ago,
    and this is my first and last post. I don't need any help, was just
    looking. Now I'm dropping this group.

    Wes Newell, Mar 1, 2004