Asus A8V-E DELUXE - SATA1 connector runs very slow.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by groupie, Apr 15, 2005.

  1. groupie

    groupie Guest

    I recently built a system which included an Asus A8V-E DELUXE mobo and
    a Maxtor 250G S-ATA drive with 16Meg cache (6B250S0)hard drive. You can
    get more information about my system at
    http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=A4CGMW4UQBQS7X86.

    When I had the S-ATA drive connected to the SATA1 connector on the
    board (in IDE mode - NOT RAID) the disk rate that I was experiencing
    was very slow at 4 MB/sec. When I switched it over to the SATA2
    connector, my system performed much better at 50 MB/sec.

    I am very happy with the performance that I now get out of this system.
    However if I ever decide to add a second S-ATA drive as RAID 0 or
    otherwise I assume that it will run slow again (this board only
    supports 2).

    Is there a setting that I forgot to set? Is the mobo faulty?

    I would appreciate any input I get.

    Thanks
    W.

    groupie, Apr 15, 2005

  2. groupie

    Paul Guest

    In article <>,
    "groupie" <> wrote:

    > I recently built a system which included an Asus A8V-E DELUXE mobo and
    > a Maxtor 250G S-ATA drive with 16Meg cache (6B250S0)hard drive. You can
    > get more information about my system at
    > http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=A4CGMW4UQBQS7X86.
    >
    > When I had the S-ATA drive connected to the SATA1 connector on the
    > board (in IDE mode - NOT RAID) the disk rate that I was experiencing
    > was very slow at 4 MB/sec. When I switched it over to the SATA2
    > connector, my system performed much better at 50 MB/sec.
    >
    > I am very happy with the performance that I now get out of this system.
    > However if I ever decide to add a second S-ATA drive as RAID 0 or
    > otherwise I assume that it will run slow again (this board only
    > supports 2).
    >
    > Is there a setting that I forgot to set? Is the mobo faulty?
    >
    > I would appreciate any input I get.
    >
    > Thanks
    > W.

    All I can offer is a hint. 4MB/sec corresponds to PIO mode
    transfer. The 50MB/sec corresponds to a DMA mode. You will
    have to figure out why the drive operated in PIO mode, while
    connected to SATA1.

    A further hint, is possibly a couple of Windows OS will
    automatically "downshift" the transfer rate from a disk,
    if errors are being detected during read or write operations.
    It could be that Windows saw enough errors coming from that
    drive (say due to a loose or flaky SATA cable or disk interface),
    that it has turned the transfer mode all the way down to PIO.

    Check out the "workaround" here:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817472

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Apr 15, 2005

  3. groupie

    groupie Guest

    Re: Asus A8V-E DELUXE - SATA1 connector runs very slow. - MY SOLUTION

    I upgrated the chipset driver and the IDE, RAID and SATA driver which I
    downloaded from the Via website. This fixed the problem.

    groupie, Apr 17, 2005
  4. groupie

    groupie Guest

    FIXED! - Installed latest chipset driver and RAID, IDE and SATA driver
    from Via website and this fixed the problem.

    W.

    groupie, Apr 17, 2005
  5. groupie

    Pollux Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > FIXED! - Installed latest chipset driver and RAID, IDE and SATA driver
    > from Via website and this fixed the problem.
    >
    > W.

    I'm seeing the same problem as you. I installed the Hyperion drivers,
    but it still is slow. Did you install anything else?

    Pollux, Apr 27, 2005