Asus P5B Onboard Soundmax - 5.1 Surround + Headset?

Discussion in 'Soundcards' started by Nathan Strom, Feb 1, 2007.

  1. Nathan Strom

    Nathan Strom Guest

    Hi there. I posted this in Asus's forum here but am posting to usenet
    as well for greater visibility.
    (Asus post at http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20070130232333566&board_id=1&model=P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP
    or http://tinyurl.com/ywllar)

    Motherboard: Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi
    Onboard sound: Integrated High Definition Audio 7.1 (Analog Devices
    Soundmax)
    Case: Antec P180
    Speakers: Philips MMS460 5.1 surround

    Is there any way, using the onboard sound, I can hook up my 5.1
    surround sound speaker system *and* a headphone/mic combo headset
    simultaneously?

    My speaker system is a Philips MMS460, with analog 1/8" jacks for
    front L/R (green), rear L/R (black), and center/subwoofer (yellow).

    I upgraded the sound drivers to 4580, and am able to hear either,

    - Surround Sound by hooking up the speakers appropriately, and
    DISABLING AudioESP,
    or:
    - Headphone/Headset sound by setting the speaker config to 2 speakers
    and hooking them up

    However, when I have the system set to surround sound, I can't just
    use a splitter at the front L/R jack because the sound that's output
    there is frequency-filtered (I'm assuming this here based on how it
    sounds), and sounds like crap.

    Ideally, I'd like to use the front mic/headphones connectors on my
    case to hook up my headset. Selecting the option SoundMAX Control
    Panel | Preferences | Independent Front Headphones sounds like it
    would work, but all this seems to do is mute the output on the front
    jacks.

    So... Currently I have to swap cables and re-configure the system for
    2 speakers vs 5.1 in the control panel each time I want to swap
    between speakers and headphones.

    I'd prefer to keep w/ using the onboard sound as it works fine for me
    and should be able to do what I need, but as a final alternative, are
    there any cheap (<USD$50) PCI sound cards that will do what I need?
    (Not SB Live, as these have problems w/ sound in World of Warcraft
    post patch 2.0)

    Any suggestions/help? Thanks in advance. Please post replies to usenet
    please; from email is spammed to oblivion.
    Nathan Strom, Feb 1, 2007