Asus P5WD2 Premium board not detecting PATA Devices?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by George, Sep 28, 2005.

  1. George

    George Guest

    I just purchased an Asus P5WD2 Premium motherboard.

    I have a SATA drive, and an IDE Sony DRU-710A DVD Burner.

    Problem is when i go into the BIOS, it does not detect the DVD Burner.
    Funny thing is if I go into the BOOT menu it shows the DVD Burner as a
    boot device which I can select a boot priority for.

    When I boot the system, when the IT8211 Controller detects the IDE
    devices, it shows the DVD burner there. And I am able to boot the
    XP-SP2 install CD from it (but it locks up immedietely)

    Anybody seen this?

    The DVD burner I know for a fact works, as I just pulled it out of
    another system in which I've been using it for a couple of months.

    My specs:

    P5WD2 Premium (Bios is 0422)

    Western Digital 250gig SATA Drive
    2gigs of DDR2-533mhz memory (2 one gig sticks)
    Asus branded NVidia GeForce 7800 GTX PCI-Express video card
    Creative Labs Extreme Fidelity sound card.
    Antec 550 watt power supply (with newer 24pin power plug)

    Once I boot XP, it also does not see my DVD Burner... All I see is the
    floppy and the hard drive.

    Incase anybody is wondering how I got XP installed on a system where
    the XP install locks up when booting from the DVD... I copied the
    entire i386 folder to another PC. I then formatted the hard drive via
    a DOS 7.10 floppy, and via a dos net boot disk I copied the entire i386
    folder to the local hard drive. I then had to unplug the DVD burner
    (so that no PATA devices were plugged in), and then ran the setup from
    the hard drive.

    At least this way I could install XP, but I cannot access the DVD drive
    since the bios won't see it...

    I have tried the settings in the BIOS referring to "IDE Configuration"
    but none of the options have done anything to help get the DVD to show
    up...

    I am out of ideas..

    - George

    George, Sep 28, 2005

  2. George

    Paul Guest

    In article <>,
    "George" <> wrote:

    > I just purchased an Asus P5WD2 Premium motherboard.
    >
    > I have a SATA drive, and an IDE Sony DRU-710A DVD Burner.
    >
    > Problem is when i go into the BIOS, it does not detect the DVD Burner.
    > Funny thing is if I go into the BOOT menu it shows the DVD Burner as a
    > boot device which I can select a boot priority for.
    >
    > When I boot the system, when the IT8211 Controller detects the IDE
    > devices, it shows the DVD burner there. And I am able to boot the
    > XP-SP2 install CD from it (but it locks up immedietely)
    >
    > Anybody seen this?
    >
    > The DVD burner I know for a fact works, as I just pulled it out of
    > another system in which I've been using it for a couple of months.
    >
    > My specs:
    >
    > P5WD2 Premium (Bios is 0422)
    >
    > Western Digital 250gig SATA Drive
    > 2gigs of DDR2-533mhz memory (2 one gig sticks)
    > Asus branded NVidia GeForce 7800 GTX PCI-Express video card
    > Creative Labs Extreme Fidelity sound card.
    > Antec 550 watt power supply (with newer 24pin power plug)
    >

    > Once I boot XP, it also does not see my DVD Burner... All I see is the
    > floppy and the hard drive.
    >
    > Incase anybody is wondering how I got XP installed on a system where
    > the XP install locks up when booting from the DVD... I copied the
    > entire i386 folder to another PC. I then formatted the hard drive via
    > a DOS 7.10 floppy, and via a dos net boot disk I copied the entire i386
    > folder to the local hard drive. I then had to unplug the DVD burner
    > (so that no PATA devices were plugged in), and then ran the setup from
    > the hard drive.
    >
    > At least this way I could install XP, but I cannot access the DVD drive
    > since the bios won't see it...
    >
    > I have tried the settings in the BIOS referring to "IDE Configuration"
    > but none of the options have done anything to help get the DVD to show
    > up...
    >
    > I am out of ideas..
    >
    > - George

    The FAQ page has the answer:

    http://support.asus.com.tw/faq/faq.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

    http://support.asus.com.tw/faq/faq_...7-60C9-249F-1885-92D199A5EA5F&SLanguage=en-us

    "Question:

    Can I connect a CD-ROM to P5WD2 Premium ITE slot to boot from it?

    Answer:

    As suggested by ITE, please do not connect ATAPI devices to ITE
    slots if you want to boot from it. You can connect ATAPI devies
    to Intel ICH7R slots."

    If they knew this, why did they bother using the 8211F ?
    After all, plenty of people have multiple optical drives, and
    where are you going to put them all ?

    Try using an 80 wire cable with the DVD drive. Maybe the
    problem is partially a signal quality problem ?

    For drivers for the 8211F, you can go here. Fourth item up
    from the bottom of the page. The 1.3.2 looks to be the
    same version as is on the Asus download page:

    http://www.iteusa.com/software_download/software_download2.asp

    Paul

    Paul, Sep 28, 2005

  3. George

    gogy Guest

    George wrote:
    > I just purchased an Asus P5WD2 Premium motherboard.
    >
    > I have a SATA drive, and an IDE Sony DRU-710A DVD Burner.
    >
    > Problem is when i go into the BIOS, it does not detect the DVD Burner.
    > Funny thing is if I go into the BOOT menu it shows the DVD Burner as a
    > boot device which I can select a boot priority for.
    >
    > When I boot the system, when the IT8211 Controller detects the IDE
    > devices, it shows the DVD burner there. And I am able to boot the
    > XP-SP2 install CD from it (but it locks up immedietely)
    >
    > Anybody seen this?
    >
    > The DVD burner I know for a fact works, as I just pulled it out of
    > another system in which I've been using it for a couple of months.
    >
    > My specs:
    >
    > P5WD2 Premium (Bios is 0422)
    >
    > Western Digital 250gig SATA Drive
    > 2gigs of DDR2-533mhz memory (2 one gig sticks)
    > Asus branded NVidia GeForce 7800 GTX PCI-Express video card
    > Creative Labs Extreme Fidelity sound card.
    > Antec 550 watt power supply (with newer 24pin power plug)
    >

    > Once I boot XP, it also does not see my DVD Burner... All I see is the
    > floppy and the hard drive.
    >
    > Incase anybody is wondering how I got XP installed on a system where
    > the XP install locks up when booting from the DVD... I copied the
    > entire i386 folder to another PC. I then formatted the hard drive via
    > a DOS 7.10 floppy, and via a dos net boot disk I copied the entire i386
    > folder to the local hard drive. I then had to unplug the DVD burner
    > (so that no PATA devices were plugged in), and then ran the setup from
    > the hard drive.
    >
    > At least this way I could install XP, but I cannot access the DVD drive
    > since the bios won't see it...
    >
    > I have tried the settings in the BIOS referring to "IDE Configuration"
    > but none of the options have done anything to help get the DVD to show
    > up...
    >
    > I am out of ideas..
    >
    > - George

    Actually you didnt have to go through so much trouble to install XP...
    i just connected my DVD-RW Drive to the Primary IDE (Blue Color
    Connector, on the side of the board) and XP installed without any
    problems...
    Also connect all the optical drives to the Primary controller so that
    XP will be able to detect it properly ...

    gogy, Sep 29, 2005
  4. George

    George Guest

    Thanks guys for the info! I was already using an 80pin cable for the
    DVD drive, but I had plugged it into the red IDE connector. On most
    motherboards the dual IDE connectors o the board are the regular IDE
    Primary and Secondary connectors, the the blue connector in the side is
    the IDE Raid connector..

    As I now know, that ain't the case on this board! Once I plugged in
    the DVD drive onto the blue IDE connector on the side, it immedietely
    appeared in the BIOS as connected on the Primary IDE channel, and XP
    recognized it immedetely.

    Also, I can now boot my Knoppix CD. When I had the DVD drive on the
    red IDE connector (the ITE controller) ,and booted Knoppix, it would
    fail stating it could not mount it's partition. Knoppix obviously does
    not have drivers for the ITE controller, so it would always fail. Same
    thing with Windows, it did not see the DVD drive when it was plugged
    into that controller.

    By the way, in the past whenever I install XP onto a SATA drive with an
    IDE CD/DVD Drive, if I install XP by booting it from the CD, the
    problem is that Windows will assigned the C: to the CD/DVD and D: to
    the hard drive. Since I want the hard drive to become the C: drive,
    that is the primary reason I unplugged all devices except the SATA hard
    drive, so that the hard drive would be detected as C:.

    Once that was done, I could plug in all the other devices (USB CF
    readers, DVD drive, Zip, etc...) and then they would be assigned D:, E:
    and so forth.

    - George

    George, Sep 30, 2005