ASUS vs. Asrock

Discussion in 'ASRock' started by Q, Feb 16, 2005.

  1. Q

    Q Guest

    I have been told that "Asrock" is an inferior spin off of ASUS.
    What is wrong with Asrock compared to ASUS?:

    1. Slower Overall?
    2. Slower Video for games?
    3. Goes "bad" sooner?
    4. Fewer features?
    5. Unreliable -intermittant crashes?

    An ASROCK was put in my machine when it was repaired. So far so good. But I
    am CONCERNED!!
    ~Q

    --
    What is said here is for amusement
    purposes only. Any opinions expressed

    Q, Feb 16, 2005

  2. "Q" <> wrote in message
    >I have been told that "Asrock" is an inferior spin off of ASUS.
    > What is wrong with Asrock compared to ASUS?:
    >
    > 1. Slower Overall?
    > 2. Slower Video for games?
    > 3. Goes "bad" sooner?
    > 4. Fewer features?
    > 5. Unreliable -intermittant crashes?
    >
    > An ASROCK was put in my machine when it was repaired. So far so good.
    > But I
    > am CONCERNED!!

    If you bought the machine, as having an Asus board, demand one is fitted
    for the repair.
    Basically, Asrock, was a subsidiary of Asus, 'spun off', to sell into the
    slightly more 'bargain' part of the markt. The differences vary, from the
    overall QA, through the parts chosen in some areas etc.. They are a
    'cheaper' board. However some of their current boards are quite good.
    Asrock, have been 'naughty' at times, in trading on the Asus name, and at
    times, I suspect Asus have regretted generating this competition...

    Best Wishes

    Roger Hamlett, Feb 16, 2005

  3. Q

    Q Guest

    --

    "Roger Hamlett" <> wrote in message

    > "Q" <> wrote in message
    > >I have been told that "Asrock" is an inferior spin off of ASUS.
    > > What is wrong with Asrock compared to ASUS?:
    > >
    > > 1. Slower Overall?
    > > 2. Slower Video for games?
    > > 3. Goes "bad" sooner?
    > > 4. Fewer features?
    > > 5. Unreliable -intermittant crashes?
    > >
    > > An ASROCK was put in my machine when it was repaired. So far so good.
    > > But I
    > > am CONCERNED!!

    > If you bought the machine, as having an Asus board, demand one is fitted
    > for the repair.
    > Basically, Asrock, was a subsidiary of Asus, 'spun off', to sell into the
    > slightly more 'bargain' part of the markt. The differences vary, from the
    > overall QA, through the parts chosen in some areas etc.. They are a
    > 'cheaper' board. However some of their current boards are quite good.
    > Asrock, have been 'naughty' at times, in trading on the Asus name, and at
    > times, I suspect Asus have regretted generating this competition...
    >
    > Best Wishes

    Well, what is the quality of a DELL mother board? Probably they're on the
    cheap too. The ASROCK board was replacing the Dell. But I would have been
    glad to pay the difference and buy an ASUS. Hopefully I got one of the
    ASROCK current boards which is good.
    Still though, what do YOU think is bad about their bad boards?
    1. Slower Overall?
    2. Slower Video for games?
    3. Goes "bad" sooner?
    4. Fewer features?
    5. Unreliable -intermittant crashes?
    Tks.
    ~Q

    Q, Feb 16, 2005
  4. Q

    Paul Guest

    In article <XXKQd.578$>, "Roger Hamlett"
    <> wrote:

    > "Q" <> wrote in message
    > >I have been told that "Asrock" is an inferior spin off of ASUS.
    > > What is wrong with Asrock compared to ASUS?:
    > >
    > > 1. Slower Overall?
    > > 2. Slower Video for games?
    > > 3. Goes "bad" sooner?
    > > 4. Fewer features?
    > > 5. Unreliable -intermittant crashes?
    > >
    > > An ASROCK was put in my machine when it was repaired. So far so good.
    > > But I
    > > am CONCERNED!!

    > If you bought the machine, as having an Asus board, demand one is fitted
    > for the repair.
    > Basically, Asrock, was a subsidiary of Asus, 'spun off', to sell into the
    > slightly more 'bargain' part of the markt. The differences vary, from the
    > overall QA, through the parts chosen in some areas etc.. They are a
    > 'cheaper' board. However some of their current boards are quite good.
    > Asrock, have been 'naughty' at times, in trading on the Asus name, and at
    > times, I suspect Asus have regretted generating this competition...
    >
    > Best Wishes

    Some people have trouble getting the Asrock BIOS
    flasher to work, which may prevent a BIOS upgrade.

    Also, if you have a look through the BIOS setup screens,
    you may find fewer options in the BIOS, than on an Asus
    board. Personally, I like the ability to set FSB, memory
    speed, memory timing values, Vdimm, Vcore, manually.
    Have a look through the BIOS screens and see how many
    of those options you've got on the Asrock. (Asus microATX
    boards have vanilla BIOS, but the full sized boards are
    usually pretty good.)

    A vanilla BIOS is not a problem if the computer is working
    and error free. (Test with memtest86 from memtest.org and
    also use Prime95 torture test option from mersenne.org, as
    two tests of stability and error free operation.) It
    is only when a motherboard is screwing up, that BIOS
    adjustments come in handy for determining what is broken,
    and for setting up a workaround for the problem.

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 16, 2005
  5. > "Roger Hamlett" <> wrote in message

    >> "Q" <> wrote in message
    >> >I have been told that "Asrock" is an inferior spin off of ASUS.
    >> > What is wrong with Asrock compared to ASUS?:
    >> >
    >> > 1. Slower Overall?
    >> > 2. Slower Video for games?
    >> > 3. Goes "bad" sooner?
    >> > 4. Fewer features?
    >> > 5. Unreliable -intermittant crashes?
    >> >
    >> > An ASROCK was put in my machine when it was repaired. So far so good.
    >> > But I
    >> > am CONCERNED!!

    >> If you bought the machine, as having an Asus board, demand one is
    >> fitted
    >> for the repair.
    >> Basically, Asrock, was a subsidiary of Asus, 'spun off', to sell into
    >> the
    >> slightly more 'bargain' part of the markt. The differences vary, from
    >> the
    >> overall QA, through the parts chosen in some areas etc.. They are a
    >> 'cheaper' board. However some of their current boards are quite good.
    >> Asrock, have been 'naughty' at times, in trading on the Asus name, and
    >> at
    >> times, I suspect Asus have regretted generating this competition...
    >>
    >> Best Wishes
    >>

    > Well, what is the quality of a DELL mother board? Probably they're on
    > the
    > cheap too. The ASROCK board was replacing the Dell. But I would have
    > been
    > glad to pay the difference and buy an ASUS. Hopefully I got one of the
    > ASROCK current boards which is good.
    > Still though, what do YOU think is bad about their bad boards?
    > 1. Slower Overall?
    > 2. Slower Video for games?
    > 3. Goes "bad" sooner?
    > 4. Fewer features?
    > 5. Unreliable -intermittant crashes?
    > Tks.
    > ~Q

    As I said, the differences vary. All manufacturers occasionally produce
    'poor' boards, but the probability rises with cheaper boards, that you
    will see timing errors with some add on cards, BIOS fixes will be harder
    to get (some of the Asrock boards have a problem with the BIOS flasher
    itself, making updates impossible), and the actual component quality will
    be lower, giving an increased risk of failure.
    Dell stuff also varies, with the cheapest machines, really built 'down' to
    a price, while the more expensive kit does have some very nice parts...

    Best Wishes

    Roger Hamlett, Feb 16, 2005
  6. Q

    DaveW Guest

    Asrock as a manufacturer uses lower quality parts than ASUS, because they
    charge far less for their boards. It is a discount brand.

    --
    DaveW

    DaveW, Feb 17, 2005
  7. Q

    rOy cOOrne Guest

    Paul wrote:

    > Some people have trouble getting the Asrock BIOS
    > flasher to work, which may prevent a BIOS upgrade.

    I have the ASRock K8S8X (1.03) board for the Athlon 64 socket 754, and
    I flashed the BIOS from v. 1.6 via 1.8 to 1.9 - no problem at all.
    (I always flash from a boot disk.)
    I have to admit that this board was not cheap...

    BTW - I found all the drivers necessary for WindowsXP 64-Bit-Edition
    on a S-ATA hard disk:)

    rOy

    rOy cOOrne, Feb 17, 2005
  8. Q