AT90USB1287 OTG host compatibility with devices?

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by rg.jones@rogers.com, Apr 29, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hi,

    I would like to discuss with anyone who has some experience
    interfacing the AT90USB1287 to various USB devices.

    Have you found any that don't work?

    I have two devices which are detected correctly - Lexar 32MB jump
    dirve and a Lenovo USB sound device .... I have two that are don't get
    detected correctly and they are a 512MB Imation flash drive and a
    Gigafast 102.11g wireless fob.

    The code goes screwy in this section when one of the "bad" devices is
    plugged in (snippet from the atmel demo programs)

    case DEVICE_UNATTACHED:
    for (c=0;c<MAX_EP_NB;c++) {ep_table[c]=0;}// Reset PIPE
    lookup table with device EP addr
    Host_clear_device_supported(); // Reset Device status
    Host_clear_configured();
    Host_clear_device_ready();
    Usb_clear_all_event(); // Clear all software
    events
    Usb_enable_vbus(); // Give at least device
    power supply!!!
    if(Is_usb_vbus_high())
    { device_state=DEVICE_ATTACHED; } // If VBUS ok goto to
    device connection expectation
    break;

    So when it hits Usb_enable vbus(); the jtag mkii goes awry ...

    Any one else run into this - I am using a AT90USBKEY - I am using the
    latest code from Atmel and winavr ...

    I was runing the key on a 9v battery but did switch to a wallwart just
    to be sure and no diff..

    Glenn
    , Apr 29, 2007

  2. Guest

    On Apr 28, 11:32 pm, wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I would like to discuss with anyone who has some experience
    > interfacing theAT90USB1287to various USB devices.
    >
    > Have you found any that don't work?
    >
    > I have two devices which are detected correctly - Lexar 32MB jump
    > dirve and a Lenovo USB sound device .... I have two that are don't get
    > detected correctly and they are a 512MB Imation flash drive and a
    > Gigafast 102.11g wireless fob.
    >
    > The code goes screwy in this section when one of the "bad" devices is
    > plugged in (snippet from the atmel demo programs)
    >
    > case DEVICE_UNATTACHED:
    > for (c=0;c<MAX_EP_NB;c++) {ep_table[c]=0;}// Reset PIPE
    > lookup table with device EP addr
    > Host_clear_device_supported(); // Reset Device status
    > Host_clear_configured();
    > Host_clear_device_ready();
    > Usb_clear_all_event(); // Clear all software
    > events
    > Usb_enable_vbus(); // Give at least device
    > power supply!!!
    > if(Is_usb_vbus_high())
    > { device_state=DEVICE_ATTACHED; } // If VBUS ok goto to
    > device connection expectation
    > break;
    >
    > So when it hits Usb_enable vbus(); the jtag mkii goes awry ...
    >
    > Any one else run into this - I am using a AT90USBKEY - I am using the
    > latest code from Atmel and winavr ...
    >
    > I was runing the key on a 9v battery but did switch to a wallwart just
    > to be sure and no diff..
    >
    > Glenn

    Am I the only one using the AT90USBKEY for host mode? ;)

    It appears that plugging in some devices and attempting to apply power
    causes the AT90USB1287 to reset.

    Can any one confirm if this is a known problem?

    Glenn
    , May 1, 2007

  3. linnix Guest

    On May 1, 6:48 am, wrote:
    > On Apr 28, 11:32 pm, wrote:
    >

    > > Hi,

    > > I would like to discuss with anyone who has some experience
    > > interfacing theAT90USB1287to various USB devices.

    > > Have you found any that don't work?

    > > I have two devices which are detected correctly - Lexar 32MB jump
    > > dirve and a Lenovo USB sound device .... I have two that are don't get
    > > detected correctly and they are a 512MB Imation flash drive and a
    > > Gigafast 102.11g wireless fob.

    > > The code goes screwy in this section when one of the "bad" devices is
    > > plugged in (snippet from the atmel demo programs)

    > > case DEVICE_UNATTACHED:
    > > for (c=0;c<MAX_EP_NB;c++) {ep_table[c]=0;}// Reset PIPE
    > > lookup table with device EP addr
    > > Host_clear_device_supported(); // Reset Device status
    > > Host_clear_configured();
    > > Host_clear_device_ready();
    > > Usb_clear_all_event(); // Clear all software
    > > events
    > > Usb_enable_vbus(); // Give at least device
    > > power supply!!!
    > > if(Is_usb_vbus_high())
    > > { device_state=DEVICE_ATTACHED; } // If VBUS ok goto to
    > > device connection expectation
    > > break;

    > > So when it hits Usb_enable vbus(); the jtag mkii goes awry ...

    > > Any one else run into this - I am using a AT90USBKEY - I am using the
    > > latest code from Atmel and winavr ...

    > > I was runing the key on a 9v battery but did switch to a wallwart just
    > > to be sure and no diff..

    > > Glenn

    > Am I the only one using the AT90USBKEY for host mode? ;)

    We are getting a prototype board for the chip, but not ready yet.

    > It appears that plugging in some devices and attempting to apply power
    > causes the AT90USB1287 to reset.

    Probably watchdog reset.

    > Can any one confirm if this is a known problem?

    It sounds like a software issue.
    linnix, May 1, 2007
  4. Guest

    On May 1, 11:18 am, linnix <-for.us> wrote:
    > On May 1, 6:48 am, wrote:
    >

    > > On Apr 28, 11:32 pm, wrote:

    > > > Hi,

    > > > I would like to discuss with anyone who has some experience
    > > > interfacing theAT90USB1287to various USB devices.

    > > > Have you found any that don't work?

    > > > I have two devices which are detected correctly - Lexar 32MB jump
    > > > dirve and a Lenovo USB sound device .... I have two that are don't get
    > > > detected correctly and they are a 512MB Imation flash drive and a
    > > > Gigafast 102.11g wireless fob.

    > > > The code goes screwy in this section when one of the "bad" devices is
    > > > plugged in (snippet from the atmel demo programs)

    > > > case DEVICE_UNATTACHED:
    > > > for (c=0;c<MAX_EP_NB;c++) {ep_table[c]=0;}// Reset PIPE
    > > > lookup table with device EP addr
    > > > Host_clear_device_supported(); // Reset Device status
    > > > Host_clear_configured();
    > > > Host_clear_device_ready();
    > > > Usb_clear_all_event(); // Clear all software
    > > > events
    > > > Usb_enable_vbus(); // Give at least device
    > > > power supply!!!
    > > > if(Is_usb_vbus_high())
    > > > { device_state=DEVICE_ATTACHED; } // If VBUS ok goto to
    > > > device connection expectation
    > > > break;

    > > > So when it hits Usb_enable vbus(); the jtag mkii goes awry ...

    > > > Any one else run into this - I am using a AT90USBKEY - I am using the
    > > > latest code from Atmel and winavr ...

    > > > I was runing the key on a 9v battery but did switch to a wallwart just
    > > > to be sure and no diff..

    > > > Glenn

    > > Am I the only one using the AT90USBKEY for host mode? ;)

    > We are getting a prototype board for the chip, but not ready yet.
    >

    > > It appears that plugging in some devices and attempting to apply power
    > > causes theAT90USB1287to reset.

    > Probably watchdog reset.
    >

    > > Can any one confirm if this is a known problem?

    > It sounds like a software issue.

    Hi Thanks for the reply ...

    I don't think it is the software as some devices work okay ... It
    appears as if the mcu is being reset when vbus is being applied - I am
    going to check the descriptors (of the problem devices) for their
    power requirements.

    Glenn
    , May 2, 2007
  5. Guest

    On May 2, 8:59 am, wrote:
    > On May 1, 11:18 am, linnix <-for.us> wrote:

    > > > Am I the only one using the AT90USBKEY for host mode? ;)

    > > We are getting a prototype board for the chip, but not ready yet.

    > > > It appears that plugging in some devices and attempting to apply power
    > > > causes theAT90USB1287to reset.

    > > Probably watchdog reset.

    > > > Can any one confirm if this is a known problem?

    > > It sounds like a software issue.

    > Hi Thanks for the reply ...
    >
    > I don't think it is the software as some devices work okay ... It
    > appears as if the mcu is being reset when vbus is being applied - I am
    > going to check the descriptors (of the problem devices) for their
    > power requirements.
    >
    > Glenn

    Works
    Lexar 32 MB Flash drive - 90ma
    Lenovo USB Sound device - 100ma
    Microsoft Optical mouse - 100ma

    Doesn't work
    Imation 512 MB Flash drive - 200ma
    Trendnet 424UB 802.11b/g - 400ma
    GigaFast WF748-CUI 802.11b/g - 500ma

    Glenn
    , May 2, 2007
  6. linnix Guest

    On May 2, 6:31 am, wrote:
    > On May 2, 8:59 am, wrote:

    > > > We are getting a prototype board for the chip, but not ready yet.

    > > > Probably watchdog reset.

    > > > It sounds like a software issue.

    > > Hi Thanks for the reply ...

    > > I don't think it is the software as some devices work okay ... It
    > > appears as if the mcu is being reset when vbus is being applied - I am
    > > going to check the descriptors (of the problem devices) for their
    > > power requirements.

    > > Glenn

    > Works
    > Lexar 32 MB Flash drive - 90ma
    > Lenovo USB Sound device - 100ma
    > Microsoft Optical mouse - 100ma
    >
    > Doesn't work
    > Imation 512 MB Flash drive - 200ma
    > Trendnet 424UB 802.11b/g - 400ma
    > GigaFast WF748-CUI 802.11b/g - 500ma
    >
    > Glenn

    So, are they exceeding the power requirements?
    100ma is the typical default.
    linnix, May 2, 2007
  7. >> > I don't think it is the software as some devices work okay ... It
    >> > appears as if the mcu is being reset when vbus is being applied - I am
    >> > going to check the descriptors (of the problem devices) for their
    >> > power requirements.

    >> > Glenn

    >> Works
    >> Lexar 32 MB Flash drive - 90ma
    >> Lenovo USB Sound device - 100ma
    >> Microsoft Optical mouse - 100ma
    >>
    >> Doesn't work
    >> Imation 512 MB Flash drive - 200ma
    >> Trendnet 424UB 802.11b/g - 400ma
    >> GigaFast WF748-CUI 802.11b/g - 500ma
    >>
    >> Glenn

    > So, are they exceeding the power requirements?
    > 100ma is the typical default.

    More important`:
    How much can your power supply support?

    --
    Best Regards,
    Ulf Samuelsson
    Ulf Samuelsson, May 3, 2007
  8. Antti Guest

    On 2 Mai, 15:31, wrote:
    > On May 2, 8:59 am, wrote:

    > > > We are getting a prototype board for the chip, but not ready yet.

    > > > Probably watchdog reset.

    > > > It sounds like a software issue.

    > > Hi Thanks for the reply ...

    > > I don't think it is the software as some devices work okay ... It
    > > appears as if the mcu is being reset when vbus is being applied - I am
    > > going to check the descriptors (of the problem devices) for their
    > > power requirements.

    > > Glenn

    > Works
    > Lexar 32 MB Flash drive - 90ma
    > Lenovo USB Sound device - 100ma
    > Microsoft Optical mouse - 100ma
    >
    > Doesn't work
    > Imation 512 MB Flash drive - 200ma
    > Trendnet 424UB 802.11b/g - 400ma
    > GigaFast WF748-CUI 802.11b/g - 500ma
    >
    > Glenn- Zitierten Text ausblenden -
    >
    > - Zitierten Text anzeigen -

    USB OTG specification says max power is 30mA
    so if the circuitry is made as per requirements of the USB OTG
    it doesnt have to deliver more than 30mA, it may deliver more
    but it really isnt required. If you are using non-OTG devices
    then check the power supply

    Antti
    Antti, May 3, 2007
  9. Guest

    On May 2, 9:31 am, wrote:

    > Works
    > Lexar 32 MB Flash drive - 90ma
    > Lenovo USB Sound device - 100ma
    > Microsoft Optical mouse - 100ma
    >
    > Doesn't work
    > Imation 512 MB Flash drive - 200ma
    > Trendnet 424UB 802.11b/g - 400ma
    > GigaFast WF748-CUI 802.11b/g - 500ma
    >
    > Glenn

    Atmel suport indicated that the devices that don't work most likely
    exceed the 100ma spec for current at enumeration time. OTG spec 8ma
    should be available at enumeration time.

    They offered two work arounds

    1) Disable the BOD fuse (by default it is set to 2.6V)
    2) Add a capacitor (~22ยต) to the regulator

    I have done step 1 so far and that allows the devices I had an issue
    with to enumerate.

    I am also using a 12v (1000ma) power supply (just what I happended to
    have on hand)

    Hope this helps someone else.

    Glenn
    , May 4, 2007