ATAPI 48X CDROM - NOT WORKING

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Locke, Jan 7, 2004.

  1. Locke

    Locke Guest

    Hey guys, I need some help! (seriously)

    The Story:

    "For christmas, someone got me a set of digital binoculars.
    You take a picture, plug them into USB, load it onto your comp,
    do whatever you want. You also have to install a driver that comes
    with them. I (me) plugged in the CD that came with them, it loaded,
    and said I needed to plug in the binoculars. I exited, plugged them
    in, opened my drive, closed it. (with the CD in it) The drive closed,
    the program loaded, my computer glitched, it exited, nothing happened.
    .. . . . ."

    "I opened my drive, closed it. (with the CD in it) The drive closed,
    the program did not load, and nothing happened. Nothing continued to
    happen for a while, so I opened My Computer, clicks the Icon D:\, and
    recieved the following message: 'Please insert a disc into drive D:.'"

    The Problem:

    "THERE IS A DISC IN DRIVE D:\ AND ITS NOT READING IT!"

    Things i've tried to fix it:

    1) Reboot
    2) Stare at it for a while - then reboot
    3) Unplug USB, reboot, plug in USB, reboot, etc.
    4) Shout at my computer screen while it gave me a strange look of:
    "I can't here you!"
    5) Ask my friend who works at Microsoft
    6) Ask my neibor who doesn't work
    7) Uninstall ATAPI 48X CDROM and reboot
    8) Go into BIOS and check that its there
    and lastly...
    9) Spend a half-an-hour of my time writing a semi-funny post on google
    hoping someone will have pity for me and show me the light at the
    end
    the tunnel! (its a long, dark, tunnel...)

    So, if anyone has some suggestions, or better yet, solutions, please
    post them!

    Thank you,
    Joe Locke

    1. Advertising

  2. jamotto

    jamotto Guest

    (Locke) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hey guys, I need some help! (seriously)
    >
    > The Story:
    >
    > "For christmas, someone got me a set of digital binoculars.
    > You take a picture, plug them into USB, load it onto your comp,
    > do whatever you want. You also have to install a driver that comes
    > with them. I (me) plugged in the CD that came with them, it loaded,
    > and said I needed to plug in the binoculars. I exited, plugged them
    > in, opened my drive, closed it. (with the CD in it) The drive closed,
    > the program loaded, my computer glitched, it exited, nothing happened.
    > . . . . ."
    >
    > "I opened my drive, closed it. (with the CD in it) The drive closed,
    > the program did not load, and nothing happened. Nothing continued to
    > happen for a while, so I opened My Computer, clicks the Icon D:\, and
    > recieved the following message: 'Please insert a disc into drive D:.'"
    >
    > The Problem:
    >
    > "THERE IS A DISC IN DRIVE D:\ AND ITS NOT READING IT!"
    >
    > Things i've tried to fix it:
    >
    > 1) Reboot
    > 2) Stare at it for a while - then reboot
    > 3) Unplug USB, reboot, plug in USB, reboot, etc.
    > 4) Shout at my computer screen while it gave me a strange look of:
    > "I can't here you!"
    > 5) Ask my friend who works at Microsoft
    > 6) Ask my neibor who doesn't work
    > 7) Uninstall ATAPI 48X CDROM and reboot
    > 8) Go into BIOS and check that its there
    > and lastly...
    > 9) Spend a half-an-hour of my time writing a semi-funny post on google
    > hoping someone will have pity for me and show me the light at the
    > end
    > the tunnel! (its a long, dark, tunnel...)
    >
    > So, if anyone has some suggestions, or better yet, solutions, please
    > post them!
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Joe Locke

    I assume the BIOS see's the drive. When you start up the computer
    does the cd-rom drive acces light blink a few times(in other words is
    it getting power). Does it work with other cd's (music, other data
    cd's, etc). If not it sounds as if the cd-rom drive is just bit the
    dust.

    Most new cd-roms are going to be CD-r/CD-RW units but you should still
    find the non cd-burner kind out there

    hope this helps

    1. Advertising

  3. Wolfbaine

    Wolfbaine Guest

    (jamotto) wrote in message news:<>...
    > (Locke) wrote in message news:<>...
    > > Hey guys, I need some help! (seriously)
    > >
    > > The Story:
    > >
    > > "For christmas, someone got me a set of digital binoculars.
    > > You take a picture, plug them into USB, load it onto your comp,
    > > do whatever you want. You also have to install a driver that comes
    > > with them. I (me) plugged in the CD that came with them, it loaded,
    > > and said I needed to plug in the binoculars. I exited, plugged them
    > > in, opened my drive, closed it. (with the CD in it) The drive closed,
    > > the program loaded, my computer glitched, it exited, nothing happened.
    > > . . . . ."
    > >
    > > "I opened my drive, closed it. (with the CD in it) The drive closed,
    > > the program did not load, and nothing happened. Nothing continued to
    > > happen for a while, so I opened My Computer, clicks the Icon D:\, and
    > > recieved the following message: 'Please insert a disc into drive D:.'"
    > >
    > > The Problem:
    > >
    > > "THERE IS A DISC IN DRIVE D:\ AND ITS NOT READING IT!"
    > >
    > > Things i've tried to fix it:
    > >
    > > 1) Reboot
    > > 2) Stare at it for a while - then reboot
    > > 3) Unplug USB, reboot, plug in USB, reboot, etc.
    > > 4) Shout at my computer screen while it gave me a strange look of:
    > > "I can't here you!"
    > > 5) Ask my friend who works at Microsoft
    > > 6) Ask my neibor who doesn't work
    > > 7) Uninstall ATAPI 48X CDROM and reboot
    > > 8) Go into BIOS and check that its there
    > > and lastly...
    > > 9) Spend a half-an-hour of my time writing a semi-funny post on google
    > > hoping someone will have pity for me and show me the light at the
    > > end
    > > the tunnel! (its a long, dark, tunnel...)
    > >
    > > So, if anyone has some suggestions, or better yet, solutions, please
    > > post them!
    > >
    > > Thank you,
    > > Joe Locke

    > I assume the BIOS see's the drive. When you start up the computer
    > does the cd-rom drive acces light blink a few times(in other words is
    > it getting power). Does it work with other cd's (music, other data
    > cd's, etc). If not it sounds as if the cd-rom drive is just bit the
    > dust.
    >
    > Most new cd-roms are going to be CD-r/CD-RW units but you should still
    > find the non cd-burner kind out there
    >
    > hope this helps

    Sounds like the Cdrom did bite the dust however i would try changing
    power plug that hooks to the cdrom there may be a short in the one
    that is plugged in there now

  4. Locke

    Locke Guest

    POST!

    I checked the light, its getting power. I'm seeing it in BIOS. Does that help?

  5. Ron Cook

    Ron Cook Guest

  6. jamotto

    jamotto Guest

    (Locke) wrote in message news:<>...
    > POST!
    >
    > I checked the light, its getting power. I'm seeing it in BIOS. Does that help?

    Ok you got power and the BIOS see's the drive the O/S see's the drive.
    Does it work with any other cd's?

  7. Locke

    Locke Guest

    (jamotto) wrote in message news:<>...
    > (Locke) wrote in message news:<>...
    > > POST!
    > >
    > > I checked the light, its getting power. I'm seeing it in BIOS. Does that help?

    > Ok you got power and the BIOS see's the drive the O/S see's the drive.
    > Does it work with any other cd's?

    Nope, no other cd's work. I've tried video, audio, and app cd's. None.

  8. jamotto

    jamotto Guest

    (Locke) wrote in message news:<>...
    > (jamotto) wrote in message news:<>...
    > > (Locke) wrote in message news:<>...
    > > > POST!
    > > >
    > > > I checked the light, its getting power. I'm seeing it in BIOS. Does that help?

    > > Ok you got power and the BIOS see's the drive the O/S see's the drive.
    > > Does it work with any other cd's?

    > Nope, no other cd's work. I've tried video, audio, and app cd's. None.

    Sounds like the drive has gone belly up

  9. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Hi. I dont know if this will help anything, but i figured id let ya
    give it a try. I know that some cd-roms have a little headphone jack
    on the front of them. If you happen to have one of those drives that
    does have this, then try plugging in a known to be working pair of
    headphones, and then insert a known working (aka store bought) audio
    cd, and then find which one of the 2 buttons on the cdrom has a little
    "play" symbol on it, and press that. If you dont hear anything from
    your headphones, then check and make sure that the little volume
    control thing that is right next to the headphone jack is not turned
    all the way down, and if it still fails to play your cd, then as far
    as i can see, your cd-rom is completely dead. I'd invest in a new
    CD-RW drive instead of buying a new "cd-rom" drive. It will definately
    be worth it in the long run. :)

    --Mike